GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 21 May 2018, 07:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The student body at this university takes courses

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
The student body at this university takes courses [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 23:45
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (01:16) correct 37% (01:17) wrong based on 269 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The student body at this university takes courses in a wide range of disciplines. Miriam is a student at this university, so she takes courses in a wide range of disciplines.

Which one of the following arguments exhibits flawed reasoning most similar to that exhibited by the argument above?
(A) The students at this school take mathematics. Miguel is a student at this school, so he takes mathematics.
(B) The editorial board of this law journal has written on many legal issues. Louise is on the editorial board, so she has written on many legal issues.
(C) The component parts of bulldozers are heavy. This machine is a bulldozer, so it is heavy.
(D) All older automobiles need frequent oil changes. This car is new, so its oil need not be changed as frequently.
(E) The individual cells of the brain are incapable of thinking. Therefore, the brain as a whole is incapable of thinking.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 317 Q163 V154
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: The student body at this university takes courses [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 08:01
Argument confuses us between student body and "all" students. Student body is necessarily a fraction of student population. Miriam need not be part of student body to take courses in wide range of disciplines.

(A) The students at this school take mathematics. Miguel is a student at this school, so he takes mathematics.
This is good argument and leaves no space to weaken. No flaw in this answer.
(B) The editorial board of this law journal has written on many legal issues. Louise is on the editorial board, so she has written on many legal issues.
This makes the same error. But i still think the answer is incorrectly worded. Shouldn't Loise be just the editor and not on the editorial board to make this answer's reasoning similar to that of question stem?
Still this is the best choice we have got here.

(C) The component parts of bulldozers are heavy. This machine is a bulldozer, so it is heavy.
This is flawed, but not in the same way. This takes the fraction first and links it to the whole part.
(D) All older automobiles need frequent oil changes. This car is new, so its oil need not be changed as frequently.
This is utter nonsense. There's no talk of fractional and whole parts of the same population.
(E) The individual cells of the brain are incapable of thinking. Therefore, the brain as a whole is incapable of thinking.
This one commits same mistake as C.

Given no other choice, B is the answer.
I didn't like this question. What is the source?
This is definitely a sub-550 level question! :P
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 09:44
This looks...like an LSAT question. It's definitely not a GMAT question.

★ writer ★

married to ron

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 10:58
SarahPurewal wrote:
This looks...like an LSAT question. It's definitely not a GMAT question.

Sarah actually i am trying to practice hard CR questions and i think LSAT is the best source but yet i am not improving. Any tip? seriously CR is giving me hard time

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 13:11
The student body at this university takes courses in a wide range of disciplines. Miriam is a student at this university, so she takes courses in a wide range of disciplines.

Which one of the following arguments exhibits flawed reasoning most similar to that exhibited by the argument above?

The only two choices, that look viable at the first look are A) and B).

A) just focusses on one subject/topic, which is "maths". In contrast, B) talks about multiple subjects/topics in form of "many legal issues".
The original reasoning also uses multiple subjects/topics, namely "a wide range of disciplines".
Thus answer choice B) seems to be the best fit.

My goal: 700 GMAT score

If I could help you with my answer, please think about giving me Kudos :)

Re: The student body at this university takes courses   [#permalink] 11 Feb 2018, 13:11

The student body at this university takes courses

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap