Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618844 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Math Expert
Send PM
Re: The sum of n consecutive positive integers is 45 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
qlx wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
qlx wrote:
w, x and c are unique non-zero digits of the two digit numbers wx and cx means that w, x, and c are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9.

Hope it's clear.

Thank you for your reply
Sorry for the delayed post, but couldn't it be better if it was mentioned that w, c, x are non zero positive integers?

"w, x and c are unique non-zero digits of the two digit numbers wx and cx" - From this statement how can we deduce or assume that the 2 digit number cannot be negative ?

As of now one could argue wx = -37 and cx = -27 is also a possibility.
here I have taken w = -3 and x= 7 and c= -2

Hope you agree.

Thank you and appreciate your help.

Two-digit numbers wx means positive integer, where w is the tens digit and x is the units digit: 10, 11, 12, ..., 99.

Two-digit numbers -wx means negative integer, where w is the tens digit and x is the units digit: -10, -11, -12, ..., -99.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Two-digit numbers wx means positive integer, where w is the tens digit and x is the units digit: 10, 11, 12, ..., 99.

Two-digit numbers -wx means negative integer, where w is the tens digit and x is the units digit: -10, -11, -12, ..., -99.

Thank you I finally got what you are saying.

I think a variable representing an integer can be positive or negative ( or zero) , a variable without a minus sign does not mean that the variable is positive does it .

using the same logic
if a particular sum says

if a and b are integers what is b ?

1) a+b = 1
2) a= 2

From here can we say that a is positive ,because it is not -a ?
so a means = a is a positive integer
and -a means = a is a negative integer

In the same way when it says wx is a two digit integer , how can we say because it is not -wx hence wx is positive.

Originally posted by qlx on 24 Apr 2014, 03:44.
Last edited by qlx on 24 Apr 2014, 04:09, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
qlx wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Thank you I finally got what you are saying.

I think a variable representing an integer can be positive or negative , a variable without a minus sign does not mean that the variable is positive does it .

using the same logic
if a particular sum says

if a and b are integers what is b ?

1) a+b = 1
2) a= 2

From here can we say that a is positive ,because it is not -a ?
so a means = a is a positive integer
and -a means = a is a negative integer

In the same way when it says wx is a two digit integer , how can we say because it is not -wx hence wx is positive.

a is an integer does not mean that a is positive but a is a digit means that a is positive: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9.

Sorry cannot explain any better.

Thank you for your explanation ,

So the terms " Integer" and " Digit " makes all the difference ?They do not mean the same thing, right?

Integer =both negative , positive or zero
Digit = only 0 or positive.

I thought ( -2) was a digit too! a negative digit? Can we not have a negative digit?

Or is the Digit term in GMAT only used for non negative integers.

I think this is important info in terms of Gmat.

Really appreciate your help.Thank you so much .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Hi bunnel

8. If x and y are non-zero integers and |x| + |y| = 32, what is xy?
(1) -4x - 12y = 0
(2) |x| - |y| = 16

(1) x+3y=0 --> x and y have opposite signs --> either 4y=32 y=8 x=-3, xy=-24 OR -4y=32 y=-8 x=3 xy=24. The same answer. Sufficient..... how is x = -3, when y = 8?... isnt x=-3y??
(2) Multiple choices. Not sufficient.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
nandinigaur wrote:
Hi bunnel

(1) -4x - 12y = 0
(2) |x| - |y| = 16

(1) x+3y=0 --> x and y have opposite signs --> either 4y=32 y=8 x=-3, xy=-24 OR -4y=32 y=-8 x=3 xy=24. The same answer. Sufficient..... how is x = -3, when y = 8?... isnt x=-3y??
(2) Multiple choices. Not sufficient.

There was a typo. Correct solution is below:

If x and y are non-zero integers and |x| + |y| = 32, what is xy?

(1) \(-4x-12y=0\) --> \(x=-3y\) --> \(x\) and \(y\) have opposite signs.

So either: \(|x|=x\) and \(|y|=-y\) --> in this case \(|x|+|y|=x-y=-3y-y=-4y=32\): \(y=-8\), \(x=24\), \(xy=-24*8\);

OR: \(|x|=-x\) and \(|y|=y\) --> \(|x|+|y|=-x+y=3y+y=4y=32\) --> \(y=8\) and \(x=-24\) --> \(xy=-24*8\), the same answer.

Sufficient.

(2) \(|x| - |y| = 16\). Sum this one with th equations given in the stem --> \(2|x|=48\) --> \(|x|=24\), \(|y|=8\). \(xy=-24*8\) (x and y have opposite sign) or \(xy=24*8\) (x and y have the same sign). Multiple choices. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
3. Multiplication of the two digit numbers wx and cx, where w,x and c are unique non-zero digits, the product is a three digit number. What is w+c-x?
(1) The three digits of the product are all the same and different from w c and x.
(2) x and w+c are odd numbers.

(1) wx+cx=aaa (111, 222, ... 999=37*k) --> As x is the units digit in both numbers, a can be 1,4,6 or 9 (2,3,7 out because x^2 can not end with 2,3, or 7. 5 is out because in that case x also should be 5 and we know that x and a are distinct numbers).
1 is also out because 111=37*3 and we need 2 two digit numbers.

////
Could you please explain for me what does unique non zero ?
>>> I feel that question is so silly but I had studied math in different language ( Arabic ) so I really have problem with many terms :cry:

second question is WHY you said aaa=37 k I could not undersand from where it comes
Thank you a lot I learn from here a lot of useful things .
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
ghofran wrote:
3. Multiplication of the two digit numbers wx and cx, where w,x and c are unique non-zero digits, the product is a three digit number. What is w+c-x?
(1) The three digits of the product are all the same and different from w c and x.

(1) wx+cx=aaa (111, 222, ... 999=37*k) --> As x is the units digit in both numbers, a can be 1,4,6 or 9 (2,3,7 out because x^2 can not end with 2,3, or 7. 5 is out because in that case x also should be 5 and we know that x and a are distinct numbers).
1 is also out because 111=37*3 and we need 2 two digit numbers.

////
Could you please explain for me what does unique non zero ?
>>> I feel that question is so silly but I had studied math in different language ( Arabic ) so I really have problem with many terms :cry:

second question is WHY you said aaa=37 k I could not undersand from where it comes
Thank you a lot I learn from here a lot of useful things .

Digits are ten digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. Non-zero digits are all of them except 0: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. Unique means that w,x and c are are all different from one another. Thus w, x and c are unique non-zero digits of the two digit numbers wx and cx means that w, x, and c are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9.

As for 37k, each of the numbers 111, 222, ..., 999 are multiples of 37.

Hope it's clear.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
1. The sum of n consecutive positive integers is 45. What is the value of n?
(1) n is even
(2) n < 9

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-sum-of-n ... 26861.html

2. Is a product of three integers XYZ a prime?
(1) X=-Y
(2) Z=1

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: https://gmatclub.com/forum/is-a-product ... 63139.html

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-multiplic ... 63142.html

4. Is y – x positive?
(1) y > 0
(2) x = 1 – y

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: https://gmatclub.com/forum/is-y-x-posit ... 03882.html

5. If a and b are integers, and a not= b, is |a|b > 0?
(1) |a^b| > 0
(2) |a|^b is a non-zero integer

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: https://gmatclub.com/forum/if-a-and-b-a ... 40295.html

6. If M and N are integers, is (10^M + N)/3 an integer?
1. N = 5
2. MN is even

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: https://gmatclub.com/forum/if-m-and-n-a ... 05308.html

7. If b, c, and d are constants and x^2 + bx + c = (x + d)^2 for all values of x, what is the value of c?
(1) d = 3
(2) b = 6

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: https://gmatclub.com/forum/if-b-c-and-d ... 05823.html

(1) -4x - 12y = 0
(2) |x| - |y| = 16

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: https://gmatclub.com/forum/if-x-and-y-a ... 82076.html

9. Is the integer n odd
(1) n is divisible by 3
(2) 2n is divisible by twice as many positive integers as n

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: https://gmatclub.com/forum/is-the-integ ... 91399.html

10. The sum of n consecutive positive integers is 45. What is the value of n?
(1) n is odd
(2) n >= 9

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-sum-of-n ... 63143.html
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4 
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts