Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64919 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619005 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: Yale '17
Send PM
Re: The sum of the integers in list S is the same as the sum of the intege [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
The sum of the integers in list S is the same as the sum of the integers in list T. Does S contain more integers than T?

Given: \(sum(S)=sum(T)\). Question: is \(t<s\), where \(s\) and \(t\) are # of integers in lists S and T respectively.

(1) The average (arithmetic mean) of the integers in S is less than the average of the integers in T --> \(\frac{sum}{s}<\frac{sum}{t}\) --> cross multiply: \(sum*t<sum*s\). Now, if \(sum<0\) then \(t>s\) (when reducing by negative flip the sign) but if \(sum>0\) then \(t<s\). not sufficient.

(2) The median of the integers in S is greater than the median of the integers in T. If S={1, 1} and T={0, 0, 2} then the median of S (1) is greater than the median of T (0) and S contains less elements than T but if S={-1, -1, -1} and T={-3, 0} then the median of S (-1) is greater than the median of T (-1.5) and S contains more elements than T. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2):
If S={-1, 2, 2} and T={1, 2} then the sum is equal (3), the average of S (1) is less than the average of T (1.5), the median of S (2) is greater than the median of T (1.5) and S contains more elements than T.

If S={-2, -1} and T={-2, -2, 1} then the sum is equal (-3), the average of S (-1.5) is less than the average of T (-1), the median of S (-1.5) is greater than the median of T (-2) and S contains less elements than T.

Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

I am not understanding, because I got this same question in GMAT prep & ans indicated by them is A. And I am also unclear as why A. So is there something I am missing or the above explanation has something missing??
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64919 [0]
Send PM
Re: The sum of the integers in list S is the same as the sum of the intege [#permalink]
Expert Reply
patternpandora wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
The sum of the integers in list S is the same as the sum of the integers in list T. Does S contain more integers than T?

Given: \(sum(S)=sum(T)\). Question: is \(t<s\), where \(s\) and \(t\) are # of integers in lists S and T respectively.

(1) The average (arithmetic mean) of the integers in S is less than the average of the integers in T --> \(\frac{sum}{s}<\frac{sum}{t}\) --> cross multiply: \(sum*t<sum*s\). Now, if \(sum<0\) then \(t>s\) (when reducing by negative flip the sign) but if \(sum>0\) then \(t<s\). not sufficient.

(2) The median of the integers in S is greater than the median of the integers in T. If S={1, 1} and T={0, 0, 2} then the median of S (1) is greater than the median of T (0) and S contains less elements than T but if S={-1, -1, -1} and T={-3, 0} then the median of S (-1) is greater than the median of T (-1.5) and S contains more elements than T. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2):
If S={-1, 2, 2} and T={1, 2} then the sum is equal (3), the average of S (1) is less than the average of T (1.5), the median of S (2) is greater than the median of T (1.5) and S contains more elements than T.

If S={-2, -1} and T={-2, -2, 1} then the sum is equal (-3), the average of S (-1.5) is less than the average of T (-1), the median of S (-1.5) is greater than the median of T (-2) and S contains less elements than T.

Not sufficient.

I am not understanding, because I got this same question in GMAT prep & ans indicated by them is A. And I am also unclear as why A. So is there something I am missing or the above explanation has something missing??

As indicated by Bunuel in his post here: the-sum-of-the-integers-in-list-s-is-the-same-as-the-sum-of-127755.html#p1046371
the correct answer is (E).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

(1)+(2):

Not sufficient.

As always your solutions are elegant and crisp Bunuel. I liked the thought process on 1. Any other way to work on option 2 ? I am a bit wary on putting in values. Any conceptual way to negate this option ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: Yale '17
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
patternpandora wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(1)+(2):

Not sufficient.

As indicated by Bunuel in his post here: the-sum-of-the-integers-in-list-s-is-the-same-as-the-sum-of-127755.html#p1046371

I am attaching the screenshot indicating OA as A from Gmat Prep test

@Bunuel : Please guide further.
Attachments

File comment: Screenshot of Q from GMAT prep indicating OA : A
Screenshot 2014-07-03 15.23.16.png
Screenshot 2014-07-03 15.23.16.png [ 498.1 KiB | Viewed 7265 times ]

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619005 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
patternpandora wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
patternpandora wrote:

I am attaching the screenshot indicating OA as A from Gmat Prep test

@Bunuel : Please guide further.

PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THREAD. THE OA FOR THIS QUESTION IS WRONG IN GMAT PREP.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [0]
Given Kudos: 212
WE:Project Management (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Apex231 wrote:

(1) The average (arithmetic mean) of the integers in S is less than the average of the integers in T.
(2) The median of the integers in S is greater than the median of the integers in T.

My take is E.

1) S = {1,2,3,4} ; avg = 2.5
T = {100,200} ; avg = 150
avg(T) > avg(S) and {S} > {T}

now

S = {1,2,3,4} ; avg = 2.5
T = {100,200,300,400,500} ; avg = 375
avg(T) > avg(S) and {T} > {S}

Hence A is not sufficient.

2) S = {1,2,3} ; median = 2
T = {1,2} ; median = 1.5
{S} > {T}

now

S = {1,2,3} ; median = 2
T = {-5,-4,-3,-2,-1} ; median = -3
{T} > {S}

Hence B is not sufficient

(A) + (B)

S = {1,2,3} ; median = 2
T = {-5,-4,-3,-2,1000} ; median = -3
avg(S) < avg(T) and {T} > {S}

now

S = {1,2,3,4,5,10000} ; median = 4
T = {-100, -3, 1000000} ; median = -3
avg(S) < avg(T) and {S} > {T}

Hence (A)+(B) is insufficient.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Is it possible to do this in 2 minutes with inserting numbers like in Bunuel's explanation? :S Or is there another approach?
I always prefer to insert numbers, but it seems that it just takes far too long sometimes..
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2006 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Send PM
The sum of integers in list S is the same as the sum of the integers in T. Does S contain more integers than T?
can we also interpret the above statement to mean that " s and t may also contain decimals along with integers but only sum of their integers is equal?" I am just trying to see how closely we should adhere to the language of the GMAC questions. Thanks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64919 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
NoHalfMeasures wrote:
The sum of integers in list S is the same as the sum of the integers in T. Does S contain more integers than T?
can we also interpret the above statement to mean that " s and t may also contain decimals along with integers but only sum of their integers is equal?" I am just trying to see how closely we should adhere to the language of the GMAC questions. Thanks

Yes, S and T may contain non-integers too. The question is only concerned about integers (Does S contain more INTEGERS that T?) and hence we don't really care about the other elements. The statements also only talk about integers.

Had the question been: "Does S contain more elements than T?"
we would have had to consider the possibility of non integer elements too.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Apex231 wrote:

(1) The average (arithmetic mean) of the integers in S is less than the average of the integers in T.
(2) The median of the integers in S is greater than the median of the integers in T.

Given, Sum of terms in S = Sum of terms in T

Is Number of terms in S > Number of terms in T?

Statement 1: Average of S < Average of T

i.e. (Sum of terms in S)/Number of terms in S < (Sum of terms in T)/Number of terms in T

i.e. (Sum of terms in S)* Number of terms in T < (Sum of terms in T)* Number of terms in S

If sum of terms in S is POSITIVE then it may be cancelled out from both sides and then
Number of terms in T < Number of terms in S

If sum of terms in S is NEGATIVE then it may be cancelled out from both sides but Inequality sign reverses i.e.
Number of terms in T > Number of terms in S

Hence NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: Median of S > Median of T
But median have no relation with the sum of the terms in any set hence
NOT SUFFICIENT

Combining also doesn't give any solution as median has no relation with sum of terms and first statement is Insufficient as we don't know whether Sum of the terms of the Set S and T are positive or negative

Answer: option E
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16598 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM