Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:49 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Meaning/Logical Predicationx   Modifiersx   Pronounsx   Subjunctivex   Verb Tense/Formx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2396 [482]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [74]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [27]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 743 [13]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: The Supreme Court has ruled that public universities may collect stude [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 790 [6]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Re: The Supreme Court has ruled that public universities may collect stude [#permalink]
Kudos
"universities may collect student activity fees even with students' objections to particular activities"

it sounds like the universities are collecting both fees and objections together - collecting fees with objections, like collecting dolls with special dresses. But that doesn't make any sense, right?

So I scanned down to see what my other options are. "universities may collect student activity fees even..."
A) with objections
B/C) if they (have objections / object)
D) from students who object
E) though students have an objection

A just repeats the original - eliminate.

B and C use the pronoun "they" so I've got to scan back and see whether "students" (the logical antecedent) is in the sentence. It's not, so "they" has no antecedent (ie, noun to which "they" refers). Eliminate B and C.

"student" isn't in possessive form, so it's not possessive poison, but "student" is an adjective here. "Student activity fees" - the noun is "fees" and "student" is just describing the type of fee. So you still couldn't use even a singular pronoun to refer to the word "student" because "student" isn't a noun in the original sentence.

a pronoun has to work both structurally and logically. If you use a subject pronoun in a later clause, then you would structurally expect the noun antecedent to be the subject of an earlier clause. If the pronoun points to one noun structurally but logically it points to a different one, that's ambiguous - and therefore wrong.

So let's look at B: "universities may collect student activity fees even if they have objections to particular activities..." In this part, "they" is a subject pronoun, so the structural antecedent is "universities" - but logically that doesn't make sense. Logically, "they" should refer to students who object to the activities (and that noun is not even in the sentence!). So that's a mismatch and B is wrong.

E has multiple problems. This opening bit that we've been looking at changes the meaning: instead of saying "I can collect money from everyone, even from those students who object," it's saying "I can collect money even though (all) students object." The word "but" later in the sentence also changes the intent - the stuff after the comma is supposed to indicate the rule that the universities have to follow in order to collect money from everyone. The word "but" introduces a contrast, which isn't the right meaning. There are other problems with this one, but that's enough to eliminate!

That leaves us with D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3283 [2]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Schools: University of Dhaka - Class of 2010
GPA: 3.63
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
The use of "So long as" is confusing. I crossed out A and D instantly. I thought "as long as" is appropriate idiom here.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [17]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The Supreme Court has ruled that public universities may collect student activity fees even with students' objections to particular activities, so long as the groups they give money to will be chosen without regard to their views.

(A) with students' objections to particular activities, so long as the groups they give money to will be

- Usage of "they" is not clear here, we do not know if "they" is referring to Pub. Universities, Students or Groups
- Also, "will be" is incorrect tense here as the supreme court's order has already been passed

(B) if they have objections to particular activities and the groups that are given the money are

- "they" here is referring to "student activity fees" which makes it ill logical to say, "student activity fees" have objections

(C) if they object to particular activities, but the groups that the money is given to have to be

- "they" here is referring to "student activity fees" which makes it ill logical to say, "student activity fees" have objections
- "have to be" is redundent

(D) from students who object to particular activities, so long as the groups given money are

- CORRECT
- Even from students who object - more idiomatic
- Are is uses the correct tense

(E) though students have an objection to particular activities, but the groups that are given the money be

- have an objection is wordy for object

Hence, Answer is D

Did you like the answer? Kudos :good
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
Send PM
Bookmarks
The Supreme Court has ruled that public universities may collect student activity fees even with students' objections to particular activities, so long as the groups they give money to will be chosen without regard to their views.

(A) with students' objections to particular activities, so long as the groups they give money to will be

--> 'they' dont have clear antecedent , will be --> would be (past + conditional)

(B) if they have objections to particular activities and the groups that are given the money are

--> 'they' dont have clear antecedent , "and" must follow "that" to introduce parallelism , change in meaning as both clauses are at same level where as clause 2 must be contion for application of clause 1

(C) if they object to particular activities, but the groups that the money is given to have to be

--> 'they' dont have clear antecedent

(D) from students who object to particular activities, so long as the groups given money are

Correct

(E) though students have an objection to particular activities, but the groups that are given the money be

Experts : Pls help me understand following .

1. what else is wrong in option c ?
2. Past + present like in option D ok ?
3. what is wrong in option E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
I chose E.

I don't know how D is better than E. Isn't "the groups given money are" in D, a little weird?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [8]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rishabhdxt wrote:

Experts : Pls help me understand following .

1. what else is wrong in option c ?
2. Past + present like in option D ok ?
3. what is wrong in option E

Hello rishabhdxt,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

1. Choice C is of course incorrect because there is no antecedent for the plural pronoun they. There is another error in this choice.

The original sentence presents a condition for collecting the fees. The condition is that the universities' decision to grant money to a particular group will not be influenced by the views of the group. This condition is evident by the usage of the phrase so long as. But there is no indicator in Choice C after but that presents this condition.

2. All the verbs in Choice D are in present tense. Please note that given is the verb-ed modifier that modifies the preceding noun groups.

3. Choice E is incorrect for two reasons:

i. Like Choice C, this choice also fails to present the condition exclusively.

ii. Use of Subjunctive verb be chosen is incorrect because there is no trigger verb in the choice that requires use of subjunctive verb.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rekhabishop wrote:
I chose E.

I don't know how D is better than E. Isn't "the groups given money are" in D, a little weird?

Hello rekhabishop,

You can go through my response to rishabhdxt to know what are the errors in Choice E.

Use of the phrase the groups given money are chosen is correct. Basically this phrase is the abbreviated structure of the groups that are given money are chosen.... I am sure now the expression read better to you.

Thanks.
Shraddha
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
GMATNinja egmat mikemcgarry

Do experts agree on incorrect usage of - with - in option (A) ?
Even with students' objections turns out to be noun phrase when compared
with verb phrase - students who object , the later being more formal in conveying the purpose.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinja egmat mikemcgarry

Do experts agree on incorrect usage of - with - in option (A) ?
Even with students' objections turns out to be noun phrase when compared
with verb phrase - students who object , the later being more formal in conveying the purpose.

Hello Arpit adkikani,

Thank you for the PM. :-)

The original sentence states that public universities may collect student activity fees. Hence, it is obvious that students are supposed to pay the fee.

IMHO, the way the original sentence is worded, there is no grammatical issue with even with students' objections to particular activities because with objection, we cannot use any other preposition.

Yes indeed, the expression even from students who object to particular activities is far superior to above-mentioned expression in Choice A because this expression very clearly presents the intended meaning of the sentence.

Thanks.
Shraddha
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM