Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [18]
Given Kudos: 83
WE:Design (Computer Software)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [2]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: IIMA PGPX "21
GPA: 3.68
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Before there were books, before, even, there was the written word in [#permalink]
Kudos
vishusahni9

let me try.
———
You stated:
that the reader receives the advice without perceiving the presence of the adviser. Thus the superiority of the counsellor, which often renders counsel unpalatable, is kept out of view, and the lesson comes with the greater acceptance when the reader is led, unconsciously to himself

Not sure how OA/OE of 2nd question is justifiable when the quoted text says that there are no clear laid down instructions and the reader himself understands the lesson.
————
The question is —>
2. According to the passage, which of the following is NOT a requirement for a narrative text to be classified as a fable?

A. Use of fictional characters, such as personified animals and natural objects
B. Inclusion of social, moral, or political references relevant to contemporary readers
C. Constant awareness of and attention to a particular instructional goal
D. Figurative or poetic language to demonstrate the author‘s creative talent
E. Every fable must have a ‗moral‘ at the end
————
My interpretation of the question:
What are the requirements to classify a text as ‘a fable’? once we understand this, it’s easy to find what are NOT the requirements.

My analysis:
The snippet that you highlighted indicates that superiority of the storyteller (fabulist) is kept out of view. e.g. If the fabulist is very experienced in the subject matter.
it means —> The reader will be able to accept the gist of the story as long as the reader is “unconsciously” able to relate himself to the story. That way, the reader will be able to sympathies and align with the underlying message.

if the reader finds out who is telling the fable, what is the experience level, what are the qualifications of the narrator/fabulist etc then the reader may feel that the story/fable is biased. This is exactly what needs to be avoided. so in conclusion, the question is asking about requirements of text to be classified as a fable. thus the para you highlighted can’t be interpreted as —>there are no clear laid down instructions.

If we go through all the choices —> those are the requirements of fable except choice D. To find out why this is not a requirement, see the first section of the last para:

The Fable partly agrees with, and partly differs from the Tale and the Parable. It will contain, like the Tale, a short but real narrative; it will seek, like the Parable, to convey a hidden meaning, not so much by the use of language, as by the skilful introduction of fictitious characters; and yet unlike to either Tale or Parable, it will ever keep in view, as its high prerogative, and inseparable attribute, the great purpose of instruction, and will necessarily seek to inculcate some moral maxim, social duty, or political truth.

Option D says that fable needs to be figurative or poetic. But that is not the case. As per the highlighted text, it can be interpreted that the fable need not have a particular style (e.g. poetic) OR use of language.

I hope this is clear now. JarvisR already highlighted POE so i will not repeat that. let me know if you need more help.

Give Kudos even if you disagree :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [3]
Given Kudos: 64
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Before there were books, before, even, there was the written word in [#permalink]
Kudos
mehtakaustubh, workout: thanks for posting the para. the question 1 is really interesting, it's classic example of double negation.

vishusahni9, JarvisR --> For question 1, we will have to infer the meaning by referring to 4th para. let me try.
———
The question is —>
1. The passage suggests that the fable is superior to the parable and the tale for none of the following reasons EXCEPT:

I. the fable contains a moral lesson within its narrative.
II. the parable‘s message may be too enigmatic for a reader to comprehend.
III. the tale is a chronicle of recent historical events.

A. I only
B. I and II
C. II and III
D. I, II, and III
E. None of the above
————
My interpretation of the question:
What are the reasons to call out the fable superior to parable/tale?

My analysis:
---
This is clearly given in the 2nd para:
the true Fable, if it rises to its high requirements, ever aims at one great end and purpose
Conclusion: So ‘I’ is a valid option.
---
For this refer last para:
It will contain, like the Tale, a short but real narrative; it will seek, like the Parable, to convey a hidden meaning, not so much by the use of language, as by the skilful introduction of fictitious characters; and yet unlike to either Tale or Parable, it will ever keep in view, as its high prerogative, and inseparable attribute, the great purpose of instruction,

How to interpret:
let's separate out 2 sentences:
Sentence 1:
It will contain, like the Tale, a short but real narrative; it will seek, like the Parable, to convey a hidden meaning, not so much by the use of language, as by the skilful introduction of fictitious characters
Significance: above sentence means fable and parable share similar intention of conveying hidden meaning but fable does it by using fictitious characters.

Sentence 2:
and yet unlike to either Tale or Parable, it will ever keep in view, as its high prerogative, and inseparable attribute, the great purpose of instruction
Significance: Fable unlike Parable clearly explains the great purpose of instructions.

Now if we combine significance of both of these sentences, it is clear that even though parable tries to explain the hidden meaning, it doesn't clearly call out the instructions/meaning/action, A fable does!
In another words, Parable is is difficult to comprehend. Dictionary meaning of enigmatic also refers as 'difficult to comprehend'.

Conclusion: So ‘II’ is a valid option. Fable is superior to parable as parable doesn't explain the instructions clearly.
---
Again, let's refer to the first section of last para:
The Fable partly agrees with, and partly differs from the Tale and the Parable. It will contain, like the Tale, a short but real narrative;

The second section of last para calls out:
The Tale consists simply of the narration of a story either founded on facts, or created solely by the imagination, and not necessarily associated with the teaching of any moral lesson.

Significance: If we combine both of these statements, we understand that both (fable and tale ) explain the facts. Hence option 3 does not necessarily makes a fable better.

Conclusion: So ‘III’ is NOT a valid option.
---
This perfectly aligns with OA --> option B
I hope this is clear now.

Give Kudos even if you disagree :-)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
The passage suggests that the fable is superior to the parable and the tale for none of the following reasons EXCEPT:

A. I only
B. I and II
C. II and III
D. I, II, and III
E. None of the above

The parable AND the tale : we have to find a quality which is superior to both X and Y
st. 1 is correct as we have the info for both.
"the fable contains a moral lesson within its narrative."
tale:" The Tale consists simply of the narration of a story either founded on facts, or created solely by the imagination, and not necessarily associated with the teaching of any moral lesson "
parable: " unlike to either Tale or Parable, it will ever keep in view, as its high prerogative, and inseparable attribute, the great purpose of instruction, and will necessarily seek to inculcate some moral maxim, social duty, or political truth."

so Fable has a ALWAYS has a moral instruction , unlike tale or parable.

st 2: I do not find any info to conclude this to be the correct as we only have info about "parable" and NOT about "tale"... The question asks us to find superiority over BOTH X and Y...Not X OR Y....
Is the message is tale enigmatic? we dont know ? it may not have a message at all !
so i disagree with The OA

(correct me if I'm wrong)

and plus this is so not like GMAT.. i mean the third question is about the roles??? the roles played by him are for a greater meaning which GMAT would have preferred . "multi tasking" seriously???
every question in GMAT has a relation with the bigger picture and so does every sentence in the passage. I hardly thibk the author would want the "roles" sentence to be signification to show the fabulist is a "MULTITASKER"...common
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [1]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM