Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [8]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Send PM
Re: The team of research scientists will not know [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Mahmud
You cannot escape shift of tense in conditional clauses. After all, only if the condition is fulfilled, we are going to get the result, which will be always one tense later than the condition.
The past tense here is about a specific experiment that is over now but awaiting further interpretation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
The team of research scientists will not know whether the procedure for reversing damage to individual genes was successful if the scientists do not get access to the advanced optical technology at the university.

here the structure (y if x) is as follows:
The team of research scientists will not know [u]whether the procedure for reversing damage to individual genes was successful = Y ( future tense)
IF
the scientists do not get access to the advanced optical technology at the university = X (simple present)
structure is Correct "Y if X".

(A) whether the procedure for reversing damage to individual genes was successful if - Correct.

(B) whether the procedure of gene damage reversal was successful depending whether or not

(C) if the procedure to reverse damage to individual genes was successful if

(D) if the gene damage reversal procedure was successful, and if

(E) if the procedure of reversing damage to individual genes was successful whether
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
The team of research scientists will not know [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Use "whether" to show that TWO alternatives are possible
Use "if" when you have a conditional sentence, i.e., if - then.

The team of research scientists will not know whether the procedure for reversing damage to individual genes was successful if the scientists do not get access to the advanced optical technology at the university.

As per the meaning:
The team will not know whether the procedure was successful or NOT successful (TWO alternatives - successful or NOT successful)
And bigger picture is: "The team will not know X if not Y". This is a conditional statement. No TWO alternatives are present.

This eliminates choices C,D and E.

(A) whether the procedure for reversing damage to individual genes was successful if
Answer choice A is correct as per our meaning

(B) whether the procedure of gene damage reversal was successful depending whether or not - You don't use "whether or not", because "whether" already includes TWO conditions in itself. Correct style is "whether" only.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 832 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
Re: if vs whether:The team of research scientists will not know [#permalink]
......genes was successful......
I am confused whether the usage of 'was' is correct.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 832 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
daagh wrote:
The procedure was a specific procedure tried out sometime in the past. It is not yet an accepted theory or a general fact. Therefore, was is quite fitting.

Thanks Sir,

But the follwing construction seems to be awkward to me.

Future---past---present

will not know ...... was successful ......do not get access

Would you please share something about this?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM

Official Explanation

Split 1A: the first whether/if split. The scientists want to know, "was the procedure successful?" That is the content of what they want to know, the answer to that yes/no question. For the content of a yes/no question, the answer to which someone wants to know, we use "know whether." At the beginning of the underlined section, we need "whether," not "if." Only (A) & (B) have this correct.

Split 1B: the second whether/if split. Will the scientist get access to the optical technology? This is a condition. If they get this access, then they will know what they want to know. For a genuine if-then condition, we always use "if", not "whether," and that's what we should have at the end of the underlined section. Choices (A) & (C) & (D) get this correct.

Split 2: the phrasings of "procedure for reversing", "procedure to reverse," and "procedure of reversing" are all correct, all legitimate idioms. The phrasing "gene damage reversal procedure," in (D), is awkward.

The only possible answer is (A).
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts