It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 23:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The themes that Rita Dove explores in her poetry is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 809 [0], given: 64

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The themes that Rita Dove explores in her poetry is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2016, 02:27
SpiritualAtheist wrote:
Balvinder wrote:
The themes that Rita Dove explores in her poetry is universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally she deals with racial issues.

A. is universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally she deals
B. is universal, encompassing much of the human condition, also occasionally it deals
C. are universal, they encompass much of the human condition and occasionally deals
D. are universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally dealing
E. are universal, they encompass much of the human condition, also occasionally are dealing

--Not related to the answer-- => Can someone please explain whether the clause 'while occasionally she deals with racial issues' is correct or not?
i.e Will option A be correct if it would have been 'are universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally she deals'? (Considering option D is not present)

No, While is bringing a contrast and the two things should be ||. encompassing || dealing. Hence, even if A had 'are', it would have been incorrect.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 809 [0], given: 64

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 56

Concentration: International Business, Finance
WE: Programming (Computer Hardware)
The themes that Rita Dove explores in her poetry is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2016, 03:53
abhimahna wrote:
SpiritualAtheist wrote:
Balvinder wrote:
The themes that Rita Dove explores in her poetry is universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally she deals with racial issues.

A. is universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally she deals
B. is universal, encompassing much of the human condition, also occasionally it deals
C. are universal, they encompass much of the human condition and occasionally deals
D. are universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally dealing
E. are universal, they encompass much of the human condition, also occasionally are dealing

--Not related to the answer-- => Can someone please explain whether the clause 'while occasionally she deals with racial issues' is correct or not?
i.e Will option A be correct if it would have been 'are universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally she deals'? (Considering option D is not present)

No, While is bringing a contrast and the two things should be ||. encompassing || dealing. Hence, even if A had 'are', it would have been incorrect.

I also came to a similar conclusion that parallelism needs to be maintained by using the word 'dealing' -- I am not sure why the explanation given in the egmat video does not point this error! (It is clearly heard that the only error present in the sentence is the usage of 'is') :(

Best,
Spiritual Yoda

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 56

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 31

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2017, 08:43

Issues: Subject/Verb Agreement | Modifier | Parallelism

Analysis:
1. "is universal" is referring to the themes. Hence, the correct verb is "are" to match with the number of the subject (which is plural)
2. For the sentence, we need to use ", verb-ing" modifier to modify "themes are universal"
3. The verb following "while" should have parallel form to "encompassing". [..., encompassing... while (occasionally) dealing...]

I have highlighted the errors in options below:

- S/V issue (this alone should be enough for eliminating this option)
- Parallelism issue

- S/V issue (this alone should be enough for eliminating this option)
- Parallelism issue

C. are universal, they encompass much of the human condition and occasionally
deals
- Comma splice or sentence run on
- they... deals.. : S/V issue

- Comma splice or sentence run on

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 31

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 18

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2017, 09:08

subject Themes,Verb are universal, option D has correct match and is parallel.

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 18

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 101

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2017, 12:01

D

I welcome analysis on my posts and kudo +1 if helpful. It helps me to improve my craft.Thank you

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 101

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2017, 20:53
Please explain the purpose of "Ing" in option D.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 12

Concentration: Finance, General Management

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2017, 22:13
priyanshu14 wrote:
Please explain the purpose of "Ing" in option D.

ING is a MODIFIER that modifies/explains about something. In Option D

The themes that Rita Dove explores in her poetry are universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally dealing with racial issues.

The Themes are universal, encompassing much of the human condition

In this sentence, ENCOMPASSING is explaining about THEMES. What kind of themes are.....

I would recommend to read about modifiers first

If you like the post, show appreciation by pressing Kudos button

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 117

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Erasmus '18
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V20
GPA: 2.9
Re: The themes that Rita Dove explores in her poetry [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 11:28
The themes that Rita Dove explores in her poetry is universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally deals with racial issues.
A. is universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally deals

As D is the correct answer, does the word "encompassing" modify "themes" or "explores"?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 117

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 27

Concentration: International Business, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V26
GPA: 3.53

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 11:57
Straight D
POE: 'themes' is plural and requires plural verb 'are' so A & B are out
Two independent clauses cannot be joined by a comma hence C & E are out

Sent from my Redmi 4A using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 27

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Concentration: Finance, General Management

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 20:23
brightandamen wrote:
The themes that Rita Dove explores in her poetry is universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally deals with racial issues.
A. is universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally deals

As D is the correct answer, does the word "encompassing" modify "themes" or "explores"?

ENCOMPASSING is modifying the idea present in previous sentence
IDEA is "The themes are universal"

If you like the post, show appreciation by pressing Kudos button

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 268

Premium Member CAT Tests
The themes that Rita Dove explores in her poetry is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2017, 06:41
To understand whether we need ing /deals or not:

1) The themes that Rita Dove explores in her poetry are universal, while occasionally she deals with racial issues.
Does not make sense.

2) The themes that Rita Dove explores in her poetry are universal and deal with racial issues.
Better.

3) The themes that Rita Dove explores in her poetry are universal, and they occasionally deal with racial issues.
I think this is also fine.

4) Why we need ing?
Because of the SINGLE comma after universal. If deal was meant to be the second verb for themes, then there would not be a single comma but a comma pair that will separate the modifier. Also a subject and a verb can never be separated by a comma. Sure we can use comma pair for the modifiers in between but not a single comma.

In this sentence the ing words show the how aspect.

The themes are universal as they encompass human condition and deal with racial issues.

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 268

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 33

Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.92

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 03:35
I was able to eliminate all the incorrect options and come to the correct answer. But for rejecting option B OG gives the reason of comma splice. Can someone please explain how is option B a comma splice?

The thing about privilege is.. you often don't recognize your own !!!

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 187

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 10:09
Can someone please explain what is ", encompassing " modifying

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 187

Manager
Manager
B

Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.92

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 11:14
Abantika wrote:
Can someone please explain what is ", encompassing " modifying

Posted from my mobile device

Encompassing modifies the preceding clause.. The themes... are universal.
basically the modifier encompassing explain how the themes are universal. They are universal because they encompass much of the human condition while occasionally dealing with racial issues.

The thing about privilege is.. you often don't recognize your own !!!

Re: The themes that Rita Dove explores in her poetry is   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2017, 11:14

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

The themes that Rita Dove explores in her poetry is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap