It is currently 22 Jun 2017, 05:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The three women, liberal activists who strongly support

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Top Contributor
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The three women, liberal activists who strongly support [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2016, 02:59
Top Contributor
singh_amit19 wrote:
The three women, liberal activists who strongly support legislation in favor of civil rights and environmental protection, have consistently received labor’s unqualifying support.

(A) have consistently received labor’s unqualifying support
(B) are consistently receiving the unqualifying support of labor
(C) have consistently received the unqualified support of labor
(D) receive consistent and unqualified support by labor
(E) are receiving consistent and unqualified support by labor

This question could be solved easily by using the intended meaning of the sentence on the first place,below:

The three women, liberal activists who strongly support legislation in favor of civil rights and environmental protection, have consistently received labor’s unqualifying support.

(A) have consistently received labor’s unqualifying support .........>unqualifying=not meeting some sort of standard for qualification.This is not the intended meaning
(B) are consistently receiving the unqualifying support of labor .......>Changed the time-frame to very short-term by using present continuous(Started almost recently) here
(C) have consistently received the unqualified support of labor ............>unqualified =without any sort of restriction or reservation,or simply not qualified,Correct
(D) receive consistent and unqualified support by labor ........>present -"universal truth" kind of sentence.No specific time frame
(E) are receiving consistent and unqualified support by labor .......>Incorrect as answer Choice B

Correct Answer C

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 00:02

You can be supported by labor. but You can't receive support by labor - it should be support of labor. or support from labor : D & E out.

Unqualifying vs unqualified :
Unqualifying : Means not matching the standard
unqualified : Unconditional so A,B out
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 19:59
Merged topics! Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 01:53
Is that 'consistently' and 'are receiving' can appear together because of redundancy?
VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 07:48
not easy, tricky

I think this tests an idiom which is strange

normally , in the pattern noun+of+ noun , the second noun is subject or object of the first noun
for example " the test of pronoun".

but the word "support" is special. its idiom is " in support of something" or " support for something" . in these idiom, something is object of support. and in "support of something", something is agent/subject of support.

a basic pattern happen in english is "noun+preposition+noun 2". in this pattern, we should know the noun 2 is subject or object of the first noun. this is meaning problem which gmat alway want to test.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2017, 03:04
singh_amit19 wrote:

A - Out, " 's possessive" is used in SWE with human being, animals and any other living being.
B - Verb-form is correct, but there is a wrong use of modifier (-ing VS pas participle)
C - CORRECT
D - Change meaning issue
E - Change meaning issue
Re: The three women, liberal activists who strongly support   [#permalink] 27 May 2017, 03:04

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ]