Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4418 [21]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [7]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [0]
Given Kudos: 349
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: HBS '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: The total amount of profits of Brandeburgh Bicycle Company (BBC) must [#permalink]
Totally confused, help please. Assumptions questions are very tough for me. Any materials that can be recommended!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: The total amount of profits of Brandeburgh Bicycle Company (BBC) must [#permalink]
To start with Powerscore CR bible and then Manhattan CR book for advanced concepts .
IF you Practice questions using tags "Assumptions" on GMAT forum it should be more than enough !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT Date: 11-18-2013
Send PM
I think the ans is A, since the question revolves around increase and decrease of sales in various types of bicycles and also that there is profit.

If what shilpi says is right... are we expected to do so much of mathematics while solving a CR :(..

Please post the OA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [2]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
What is wrong with E?

If the profits have increased inspite of increase in cost (due to more expensive material used) then the market share must be greater than or equal to what it was 5 years ago.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [3]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
guerrero25 wrote:
The total amount of profits of Brandeburgh Bicycle Company (BBC) must have increased dramatically over the last 5 years. After BBC developed a light and strong new material for its bicycles, total sales increased to twice what they were 5 years ago. Nevertheless, sales of certain types of bicycles, for which the new material is not used due to its high cost, have remained constant or, as is the case with bicycles for children, have decreased. Four years ago, sales of children’s bicycles constituted 30 percent of the total bicycle sales of BBC, and now they constitute barely 20 percent of all BBC’s sales.

Which of the following must be assumed in order for the assertion that the total amount of profits of BBC has increased dramatically over the last several years to be true?
(A)Increased sales always result in increased profits.
(B)BBC bicycles are not significantly more expensive than 5 years ago.
(C)Over the last 5 years, total sales of BBC racing bicycles did not decrease by more than 70 percent.
(D)Over the last 5 years, the average amount of profit gained by BBC per bicycle sale has decreased by less than 50 percent.
(E)The proportion of bicycle market occupied by bicycles of BBC has not decreased over the last 5 years.

I am finding the argument difficult to understand appreciate if some one could explain. I will post the OA soon.

Hi guerrero25 and nitin. I'm glad to help.

This question is tough, it requires you to have some business knowledges.

ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:

Fact: Total sales increased to twice what they were 5 years ago. KEY WORD: sales increased twice or 200%.
Fact: Sales of certain types of bicycles, for which the new material is not used have remained constant or have decreased.
Conclusion: The total amount of profits of BBC must have increased dramatically over the last 5 years.

Two important formulas:

KEY FORMULA #1: PROFIT MARGIN = TOTAL PROFIT / SALES
KEY FORMULA #2: TOTAL PROFIT = PROFIT MARGIN x SALES

Analyze the case by using example:
Before: Sales: 100; profits: 10 ==> profit margin = profits/sales = 10/100 = 0.1
After 5 years: Sales: 200 (twice); profit: x ==> profit margin = profits/sales = x/200

In order to conclude Total profit (X) increased dramatically,
(1) X must be greater than 10
--OR—
(2) initial ratio profits/sales = 10/100 must reduce less than 50%.

If it reduces greater than 50% (say reduces 60%) to 0.1*(100% - 60%) = 0.04.
Thus, total profit = profits margin ratio x Sales = 0.04 x 200 = 8 < 10. The conclusion fails.

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER:

(A)Increased sales always result in increased profits.
Wrong. Sales increases but profit margin decreases ==> total profit decreases. (see formulas above)

(B)BBC bicycles are not significantly more expensive than 5 years ago.
Wrong. Does not help. Why type of bicycle does not increase price? The one used new material or the one not used new material? You don’t know ==> What if bicycles that are used material do not increase prices (but their costs are high)  Total profit may decrease.

(C)Over the last 5 years, total sales of BBC racing bicycles did not decrease by more than 70 percent.
Wrong. The stimulus clearly says total sales increase twice, so option is meaningless.

(D)Over the last 5 years, the average amount of profit gained by BBC per bicycle sale has decreased by less than 50 percent.
Correct. As stated above. If profit margin reduces less than 50%, but total sale increases 200% ==> total profit increases for sure.

(E)The proportion of bicycle market occupied by bicycles of BBC has not decreased over the last 5 years.
Wrong. TEMPTING. Although the market share of BBC has not decreased, total profit may decrease if profit margin reduces. (See formulas above)

Hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Kudos
madhul90 wrote:
I think the ans is A, since the question revolves around increase and decrease of sales in various types of bicycles and also that there is profit.

If what shilpi says is right... are we expected to do so much of mathematics while solving a CR :(..

Please post the OA

Look, i was also confused between A and D, but later on went with D because assumption can never be strong or extreme.

Also., rest any other option doesn't even qualify for the right answer, So the answer has to be D. This was my approach, hope it helps you...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [1]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 590 Q47 V26
Send PM
Kudos
Verdict/Conclusion- Profits of BBC have increased substantially over 5 years.
Given/Premise-
1) BBC started using new material for certain segment of thier products.
Since then the overall sales has been doubled in 5 years.
2) For the products in which new material was not used, the sales either remained the same or decreased. Ex- Sales of Kids Bicycle decreased.
3) 4 years ago kid's bicycle constituted 30% of total sales of BBC, now the same % is 20%.
Now, how did the author concluded that overall profit of BBC has been increased over 5 years?
Clearly, He must have assumed that:
1) The cycles in which new material is used are the highest selling product.
2) The major share of the sales of BBC over 5 years came from the cycles in which new material is used.
3) The profit margin of the other type of cycles in which the new material is not used has not decreased significantly.

Option D is in line with Point#3.
The average profit gained by BBC/cycle has decreased by less than 50 % means the profit didn't depreciate by more than 50% or the profit remained more than 50 % of the profit earned earlier.

Let's say 5 years ago, BBC was selling 100 cycles...so according to the passage, BBC is selling 200 cycles now. Now,let's assume BBC was earning 10$ per cycle as a net profit=> Net profit for 100 cycles was 1000$.
Now, if the net profit got reduced by 50% or it has become 5$/cycle => Net profit will be 200*5 = 1000$, which is equal to the net profit received 5 years ago. So, profit/cycle must be >5$ in order to conclude that BBC's net profit was increased in 5 Year time.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts