It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 05:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The total market value of real estate in Altonville has steadily decli

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The total market value of real estate in Altonville has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2015, 13:50
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2015, 05:15

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 148

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2016, 09:32
rujhan01 wrote:
mejia401 wrote:
A. The percentage of Altonville’s yearly revenue that comes from money collected in property taxes did not change over the past four years. No new information allowed. The percentage of revenue that comes from property taxes is not mentioned in the stimulus nor something that can be inferred.

B. The percentage of Altonville’s yearly revenue that comes from money collected in property taxes has declined steadily over the past four years. No new information allowed; Could be true. The percentage of revenue from property taxes could have decline or could not have.

C. The amount of revenue that Altonville collected from property taxes was lower last year than it was four years ago. OK - If property values decreased + taxes assessed on property hasn't changed, thus the amount of revenue is lower.

D. During the past four years, Altonville officials increased tax rates on other sources of revenue such as retail sales and business profits. New information; could be true. Shouldn't include new information in the stimulus. For Altonville to pay its bill, other of sources of income were likely needed.

E. Altonville will soon require property owners to pay a higher percentage of the assessed value of their property as property tax. Could be true. Atlonville must find other sources of income; it could be from property taxes or could be from something else.

I think C is ambiguous. The total tax collected will also depend on property sales. It may so happen that last year property sales increased resulting in higher property tax even though the percentage remained the same.
I think phrase "per unit property" is required to be added in option C to make it correct

C is unambiguous.

In the Argument it has been mentioned as "This decline has meant that the overall figure on which the city’s property tax is based—the assessed value of that real estate—has also declined. "

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 148

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 211

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2016, 04:18
Quote:
The total market value of real estate in Altonville
has steadily declined over the past four years. This
decline has meant that the overall figure on which
the city’s property tax is based—the assessed
value of that real estate—has also declined. The
percentage of assessed value that was paid as
property taxes to the city, however, did not change
from year to year during this period.
The information above most strongly supports
which of the following?
A. The percentage of Altonville’s yearly revenue that
comes from money collected in property taxes did
not change over the past four years.
B. The percentage of Altonville’s yearly revenue that
comes from money collected in property taxes has
declined steadily over the past four years.
C. The amount of revenue that Altonville collected
from property taxes was lower last year than it was
four years ago.
D. During the past four years, Altonville officials
increased tax rates on other sources of revenue
such as retail sales and business profits.
E. Altonville will soon require property owners to
pay a higher percentage of the assessed value of
their property as property tax.

What's the conclusion in the argument? bcos I'm yet to find it. Or is it the C? I thought C is alternative conclusion.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 211

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [1], given: 14

GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V38
GPA: 3.1
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2016, 11:52
This post received
KUDOS
Well that's a classic GMAT Prep Question, though i got it wrong in the test, but in the review i went deep and go it right.

Thumb Rule :- When there is %age in the stimulus, the question mostly will be about the %age only:-

Hence lets Boil it down :-

Market Value is declining from 4 years - Lets say it was 20 Mill in 2012 and now 10 Mill

Hence the property tax from the Real Estate is also going down, Because the tax was calculated on the assessed value of the Real Estate. This is Basically if you have filed tax ever, Tax is not calculated on 100% of the income its on certain percentage.

If the %age stays same the your Tax depends upon your salary. hence since the Tax % on the Assessed Value is Same.

Lets say

2012 - 20,000,000 - 50% Assessed Value - 10,000,000 & 20% Tax = 2,000,000

2014 - 10,000,000 - 50% Assessed Value - 5,000,000 & 20% Tax = 1,000,000

Hence what is changing, one the Market Value already stated and then the Tax Revenue.

Hence the answer C

well thats what i think..........

Kudos [?]: 23 [1], given: 14

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 79

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2016, 03:54
Hi Experts / chetan2u / daagh /aditya8062 / carcass ,

Can you please explain me the above scenario in layman language. At first I thought I should ignore this but this question is completely based on BASIC concept of real state, so I can't ignore it.

If a person don't know the concept of supply, demand and price relation. He/she can't do any question related to market.
Similarly, this concept is really important for me to understand. What is market value. accessed value etc etc.

I googled it too, but it was too complicated. To solve question, I just need basic detail so that I am in a position to solve that question.

Please help.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 79

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V38
GPA: 3.1
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2016, 04:38
PrakharGMAT wrote:

Can you please explain me the above scenario in layman language. At first I thought I should ignore this but this question is completely based on BASIC concept of real state, so I can't ignore it.

If a person don't know the concept of supply, demand and price relation. He/she can't do any question related to market.
Similarly, this concept is really important for me to understand. What is market value. accessed value etc etc.

I googled it too, but it was too complicated. To solve question, I just need basic detail so that I am in a position to solve that question.

Please help.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Hey prakhar let me help you in this...

The assessed value is basically the Tax Slabs(as we call in India)

The tax, be it Income,Sales,Property or Trade Liability (Any Income Related or Transaction) tax is not calculated on the entire amount.

Lets say your annual income is Rs.15,00,000/- The Income Tax slab says:-

Rs.1,50,000/- (the first 1,50,000/- of 15 lakhs) is exempted - This will mean that no tax will be calculated on the 1 lakhs 15 thousand..

Next the tax slab will say :-

From 1,50,000 - 3,00,000 the tax will be 10% hence for 15 lakhs income you will have to pay 10% of 1,50,000

Next slab will be above 3,00,000 30% :- hence you will have to pay 30% on 12,00,000

The total tax will be :-

1,50,000 - No Tax

1,50,000 - 3,00,000 = 15,000

3,00,000 - 15,00,000 = 36,000

Hence your total assessed value here is 15,00,000 - 1,50,000 i.e. 13,50,000 and total tax payable is 51,000

I hope that will take care of that assessed value dilemma.

as for the Question, i guess what i believe the %age stimulus the %age answer choice....

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 953 [1], given: 72

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2016, 11:08
This post received
KUDOS
The total market value of real estate has declined over the past four years .
As a result , assessed value of that real estate has also declined .
The percentage of assessed value that was paid as property taxes to the city has remained the same .

Total property tax collected 4 years ago = Assessed value of real estate 4 years ago* Property tax %
Total property tax collected at present = Assessed value of real estate at present * Property tax %

Pre-thinking: Since the assessed value has declined , the total property tax will decrease .

A. The percentage of Altonville’s yearly revenue that comes from money collected in property taxes did not change over the past four years.
Out of scope - we have no information on percentage of Altonville’s yearly revenue and the amount contributed by property taxes to the total revenue.
B. The percentage of Altonville’s yearly revenue that comes from money collected in property taxes has declined steadily over the past four years.
Might be true - but need not be true - The total Altonville’s yearly revenue might be declined by bigger % .
C. The amount of revenue that Altonville collected from property taxes was lower last year than it was four years ago.
Correct
D. During the past four years, Altonville officials increased tax rates on other sources of revenue such as retail sales and business profits.
Out of scope
E. Altonville will soon require property owners to pay a higher percentage of the assessed value of their property as property tax.
Might be true - but need not be true

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 953 [1], given: 72

Math Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 953 [0], given: 72

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2016, 11:10
PrakharGMAT wrote:

Please help.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Hi PrakharGMAT ,
Market value /price is the economic price for which a good or service is offered in the marketplace . The market price is determined by the market forces of supply and demand.
Assessed value is the monetary value assigned to a property for purposes of measuring applicable taxes .

In India the circle rate is used to determine the assessed value of property . Circle rate is the minimum value at which sale or transfer of a plot, a built-up house, an apartment or a commercial property take place .

Hope this helps!! :)

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 953 [0], given: 72

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2016, 17:53

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
Re: The total market value of real estate in Altonville has steadily decli [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 13:38

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 472

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The total market value of real estate in Altonville has steadily decli [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 03:37
venmic wrote:
The total market value of real estate in Altonville has steadily declined over the past four years. This decline has meant that the overall figure on which the city’s property tax is based—the assessed value of that real estate—has also declined. The percentage of assessed value that was paid as property taxes to the city,
however, did not change from year to year during this period.

The information above most strongly supports which of the following?

A. The percentage of Altonville’s yearly revenue that comes from money collected in property taxes did not change over the past four years.
B. The percentage of Altonville’s yearly revenue that comes from money collected in property taxes has declined steadily over the past four years.
C. The amount of revenue that Altonville collected from property taxes was lower last year than it was four years ago.
D. During the past four years, Altonville officials increased tax rates on other sources of revenue such as retail sales and business profits.
E. Altonville will soon require property owners to pay a higher percentage of the assessed value of their property as property tax.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
can an expert please explain how to handle perncetage problems

why is this C

i was assuming D becuase it gives an alternate reason for th increase

Can someone explain why 'B' is wrong!

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Top Contributor
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 621 [0], given: 606

Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2016, 09:33
Top Contributor
The total market value of real estate in Altonville has steadily declined over the past four years.
This decline has meant that the overall figure on which the city’s property tax is based—the assessed value of that real estate—has also declined.
The percentage of assessed value that was paid as property taxes to the city, however, did not change from year to year during this period.

>> Scope shifts from PR to AYR. PR can be just one source of AYR. We can say A & B certainly.

>> Correct.
>> Ignore

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Kudos [?]: 621 [0], given: 606

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2016, 01:38
enigma123 wrote:
The total market value of real estate in Altonville has steadily declined over the past four years. This decline has meant that the overall figure on which the city’s property tax is based—the assessed value of that real estate—has also declined. The percentage of assessed value that was paid as property taxes to the city, however, did not change from year to year during this period. The information above most strongly supports which of the following?

What's the reasoning behind C?

how to handle this type of questions. can someone advise.

It is always painful for me to handle this type of (num vs. percentage ) questions in exam.

P.S: I read powerscore bible notes on num vs. percentage topic (large percentage doesn't mean large num or small percentage doesn't mean small num)

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2016, 14:22
B is wrong because

Lets say before the tax collected is $40 and total revenue is $100 . The % of tax collected from real estate is 40%

After 4 yrs, tax collected let the value be $20, possibility that even the total revenue could be $50, but still % of tax from real estate is 20%.

C is correct

Lets say tax collected from real estate is X
Due to decrease in first year tax collected is X-a
second year tax collected is X-a-b (because it is decreasing trend as mentioned that realestate tax is decreasing from past 4 yrs)
Third year - X-a-b-c
Fourth year - X-a-b-c-d which is the least when compared to last 4 years.

Hope it helps

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 95

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2016, 22:41

B is a reverse answer IMO.

It says, that revenues were declining at a higher rate than the decrease of total market value.
For example, total value was $100 four years ago and tax is $10 at 10%
Now, total value declined to $90, but tax revenue is not $9, but even lower

+1 Kudos is the best way to say "Thank you!"

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 95

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 122

Concentration: Nonprofit, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 21:54
bkk145 wrote:
The total market value of real estate in Altonville has steadily declined over the past four years. This decline has meant that the overall figure on which the city’s property tax is based—the assessed value of that real estate—has also declined. The percentage of assessed value that was paid as property taxes to the city, however, did not change from year to year during this period.

If the percentage of assessed value paid as taxes has not changed, then the amount of revenue must have declined, since you're taking the same percentage from a smaller amount. C.

Kudos if you agree!

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 122

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 77 [1], given: 18

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 13:00
This post received
KUDOS
The total market value of real estate in Altonville has steadily declined over the past four years. This decline has meant that the overall figure on which the city’s property tax is based—the assessed value of that real estate—has also declined. The percentage of assessed value that was paid as property taxes to the city, however, did not change from year to year during this period.

Pay attention to the last sentence: the percentage of the tax collected as property tax is unchanged, that means the share of property tax from the total tx has not changed but this does not mean that the amount has not decreased..After understanding the last line we can clearly find C to be the correct answer.

Kudos [?]: 77 [1], given: 18

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 198

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 07:59
venmic wrote:
The total market value of real estate in Altonville has steadily declined over the past four years. This decline has meant that the overall figure on which the city’s property tax is based—the assessed value of that real estate—has also declined. The percentage of assessed value that was paid as property taxes to the city,
however, did not change from year to year during this period.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
can an expert please explain how to handle perncetage problems

why is this C

i was assuming D becuase it gives an alternate reason for th increase

Tough one ..still confused between C & D ..
Infact, I rejected C straight away !!!

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 198

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 31

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 01:10
I think B should be the answer.Could you please verify and certify the answer

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 31

Re: The total market value of real estate in Altonville has steadily decli   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2017, 01:10

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 62 posts ] 

The total market value of real estate in Altonville has steadily decli

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap