Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:34 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

HBS vs. Booth (full-ride)

You may select 1 option
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.77
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Columbia (matriculating 2013), Booth (admitted), Wharton (WL)
Send PM
Re: The toughest decision of my life... HBS vs Booth (full-ride) [#permalink]
I'm of the belief that if you were to choose between schools without considering money, where would you want to go? If HBS was your dream school before Booth offered money, you should go to your dream and not double guess years down the road (although unlikely given Booth) what if you went to HBS and paid everything out of pocket.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
I would go with what the poster above said. Forget the money (and that's rich coming from a broke college kid). Go to the school that appeals to you more.

Personally, I'd take HBS hands down. No questions asked. The brand and resources are unparalleled. The money will not be so hard to come by if you have that resume stamp. Ask yourself if you'll regret either decision. :)

But. Congrats. This is an amazing problem to have.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
neildiamond wrote:
I'm of the belief that if you were to choose between schools without considering money, where would you want to go? If HBS was your dream school before Booth offered money, you should go to your dream and not double guess years down the road (although unlikely given Booth) what if you went to HBS and paid everything out of pocket.

Both schools are dream schools to me. Before I started researching MBA programs and going through the application process, I considered getting my MBA at local state school programs part-time. As a graduate of a state school, these "ultra-elite" schools never seemed to be a realistic place that I could attend. I felt that I was reaching when I applied to 5 top programs in round 1 and I hoped that I would be fortunate enough to get into one program. The fact that I would be accepted into three dream schools is a situation that I didn't even dare consider during the application process.

If money wasn't a factor I'd pick HBS because of the name/network/prestige/etc.

If name/network/prestige wasn't a factor, I'd choose Booth because of fit/demographic/campus/etc.

With that said, money IS a factor, name/network/prestige IS a factor, and fit IS a factor! I can't discount those things and say that one is more important to me than the other. I know I'll have an amazing time at both schools but I know my experience would be drastically different.

ASW will hopefully clear things up for me. I'm looking forward to meeting my potential classmates and trying to envision where I can see myself for the next two years.

The voting is now up to 87 votes and HBS seems to be pulling away! Thanks everyone for adding to this dialog and for voting.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
eskimoroll,

flip a coin. :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
The one voice you haven't heard chime in on this thread yet is an HBS alum. It'd be interesting to hear what they'd do, based on their experiences with the brand name.

We had a member a few years back that actually went to HBS for CPG Marketing. I'll PM him and see if he's still hanging around.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Kudos
Eskimoroll,

What a fascinating situation to be In???? While most of us here are scratching our heads to even have a glimpse of what these BIG - B Schools ''look'' like , You have been ''Invited'' already and to , three of them !!

I have no much experience at this , as I read posts to learn from but I would say one thing - Since You have already weighed in so many ''materialistic'' factors , put them aside for a while , Just ask your heart where it wants to be , where do you see yourself living more happy, where do you think the two years to be spent would make a classic chapter in your life filled with wonderful memories, filled with learning experiences that make you a better man, and where do you think you could find good friends who would add colour to your life ???

Though I have a feeling, Your already in Tune with going to HBS :-D

P.S - I am using the above formula ONLY cos Life is much more about evolving as a Human , than about evolving as a corporate money making ''machine'' .

Also I had a wonderful sms which read something like this '' If your faced with two choices, which you love equally, and have determined each one on all parameters, then ... toss a coin .. and while the coin is in Mid Air, your heart would pray for one result(Either Head or Tail ), and BINGO !! , You know what You desire''

Good Luck with decision and God Bless.

Rhyme - I seriously liked your blatant outburst about the cons and am beginning to admire the kind of person you are. God Bless.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Av wrote:
The one voice you haven't heard chime in on this thread yet is an HBS alum. It'd be interesting to hear what they'd do, based on their experiences with the brand name.

We had a member a few years back that actually went to HBS for CPG Marketing. I'll PM him and see if he's still hanging around.

That definitely would be good to hear. I actually work at a CPG company where a large portion of our marketers are HBS grads. I think HBS has a bigger presence here than even Kellogg. All of them (several who are good friends of mine) think that it's a no brainer that you go to HBS and sort of take it for granted that I'm actually pretty undecided. They assume it's an inevitability. :roll:
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Analytical Hierarchy Process. Draw a prioritization matrix. Engineering Design FTW
Manager
Manager
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
Analytical Hierarchy Process. Draw a prioritization matrix. Engineering Design FTW

I have no idea what you just wrote. :?:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Brand Management
Schools:CBS Class of 2013
 Q45  V44
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
so out of curiosity, have you decided?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
eskimoroll wrote:
whiplash2411 wrote:

Haha. It's a process that allocates numerical weights to each solution (school) based on a preference scale established for certain prerequisite criteria. Then you can get a final number if you normalize the matrices for each factor and voila, a numerical answer.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
whiplash2411 wrote:
eskimoroll wrote:
whiplash2411 wrote:

Haha. It's a process that allocates numerical weights to each solution (school) based on a preference scale established for certain prerequisite criteria. Then you can get a final number if you normalize the matrices for each factor and voila, a numerical answer.

Ahh, I follow now. We use those when we do failure mode effects analysis on large projects. Since I'd be subjectively defining the numerical weights for the various criteria, the process of doing something like that would probably reveal my inner bias toward one school or the other.

In my head, I think I'm going to be a little more simplistic. My criteria are career opportunity, financial support, and quality of classmates. From a career opportunity standpoint, I think the unique Booth fellowship or the Harvard name will both get me to the place I want to go so that's pretty much tied. For financial support... I've applied for financial aid from HBS so hopefully I'll have some information on that front but I suspect that it will be close to the Booth fellowship since that turned out to be not a full-ride. So that just leaves my classmates. I'll attend both admit weekends and whichever school has higher percentage of people that I'd want to work with (nice people), is probably the school I'll pick.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Makes sense. Good luck and keep us posted :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Just posting a quick update...

I attended Booth's ASW a couple weekends ago and had a great time. The people (faculty, students, and fellow admits) were warm and welcoming and Chicago is an amazing city. I also got a slight bump up on my fellowship which was a nice little surprise.

As far as HBS goes, I'm flying out this Wednesday for their ASW. I got my financial aid from HBS and it pretty much was a half-tuition fellowship which I was thrilled to get. So while Booth still is offering me $12K more than HBS, overall it is a wash from a financial standpoint as far as I'm concerned. Pretty much it's Booth's mentorship opportunity vs. HBS' network/brand/etc. My wife really enjoyed the partners club at Booth so once she has a chance to experience HBS' partners club, we'll have the information needed to make our decision. I should know one way or another this weekend! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
Oh the suspence!!! Congrats again, dude.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
So this little drama in my life has come to an end. I attended HBS' ASW and I was blown away. As far as jerk test goes, everyone I met were genuine people that I really liked. I'm sure the jerks were there but I didn't meet any of them so Harvard passed the character test with flying colors. I still wasn't sure through the first day but participating in a class with Professor Ramon Casadesus-Masanell got me really fired up and his passion for teaching made me feel passion for learning. Also, seeing Dean Nohria speak was great and Youngme Moon is ridiculously impressive. She quelled all my concerns about the school and really inspired me.

I guess the difference was that Booth made me feel like I could achieve my goal of being a great marketer or a great product manager but with HBS, I felt like I could achieve things that I haven't even thought of yet. What was most surprising was that I got a sense that the HBS faculty and administration were hungry to make the educational experience at HBS even richer. They weren't resting on their legacy and that in turn made me hungry to be a part of that experience.

So at the end of the day... I have formally accepted their offer and I will be part of Harvard Business School's class of 2013.

P.S. Oh and everyone (friends, family, random strangers on the street, etc.) all thought that it was an easy decision and I was just coming to my senses. Maybe they're all right but I know that I needed to take this decision extremely seriously and I refused to be blinded simply by the name of Harvard. :-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Congrats! I'm glad to hear that you were able to make a decision without too much doubt :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5