It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 05:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most pop

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 28

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.11
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge
Re: The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most pop [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2017, 09:13
AbdurRakib wrote:
The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, with the ultimate goal of reducing the guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the service in the hotels.

A) with the ultimate goal of reducing the guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the service in the hotels
B) with the goal to ultimately reduce the number of guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service
C) ultimately with the goal to reduce expressions of overall dissatisfaction by the guests with the hotel service
D) in an ultimate attempt to reduce the number of guests that ends up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service
E) with the ultimate goal of reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service

OG 2017 New Question

A - is wordy and awkward. Hotels' service is much more elegant than "with the service in the hotels"

B - this was a close section but the placement of ultimately changes the meaning

C - very awkward and wordy

D - Awkward. Also potential error with , before the clause

E - looks good hold it

Gmat prep 1 600
Veritas 1 650
Veritas 2 680
Gmat prep 2 690 (48Q 37V)
Gmat prep 5 730 (47Q 42V)
Gmat prep 6 720 (48Q 41V)

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 28

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 232

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most pop [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 01:57
The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, with the ultimate goal of reducing the guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the service in the hotels.

A) with the ultimate goal of reducing the guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the service in the hotels

B) with the goal to ultimately reduce the number of guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service

C) ultimately with the goal to reduce expressions of overall dissatisfaction by the guests with the hotel service

D) in an ultimate attempt to reduce the number of guests that ends up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service

E) with the ultimate goal of reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 62

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 05:38
sayantanc2k wrote:
abhishek1912 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I wish to understand what's wrong in option B compared to E.

(B) The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, with the goal to ultimately reduce the number of guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service

(E) The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, with the ultimate goal of reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service

Scientists have solved many puzzles of nature, with the goal to understand the earth better
Scientists have solved many puzzles of nature, with the goal of understanding the earth better

I think the former makes more sense because "to" has an intention connotation that is lacking in "for verb-ing". Or, is there a problem with "ultimate" in the above sentence?

"who express" is, of course, much cleaner than "who end up expressing"

The goal is not to ultimately reduce the numbers. It would be better if the commission could reduce the numbers now than if it reduces "ultimately". However the goal itself is ultimate (i.e. the final goal). Therefore placement of ultimately is wrong in option B.

Hi Sayantank,
I am in my final stages of preparation and this question has really demotivated me.

As per Magoosh, preposition noun participle ( with the ultimate goal of reducing) is an awkward construction. GMAT does not like so much action together. So I eliminated a and e.
Also, as per the idiom list in Manhattan SC : " the goal is to expand the company" - we prefer to + base form.

Using both the concepts I eliminated e and chose b.

I am not sure if there is an option to tag Magoosh so that they can clarify. Cz they have used this concept many times to eliminate answers.

It would be really helpful if you could provide your comments in resolving my query.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 62

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 12

Concentration: Finance, General Management

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 23:12
abhishek1912 wrote:
Hi Experts,

(B) The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, with the goal to ultimately reduce the number of guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service

(E) The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, with the ultimate goal of reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service

Scientists have solved many puzzles of nature, with the goal to understand the earth better
Scientists have solved many puzzles of nature, with the goal of understanding the earth better

I think the former makes more sense because "to" has an intention connotation that is lacking in "for verb-ing". Or, is there a problem with "ultimate" in the above sentence?

Main difference between Option B & E is the use and placement of Adjective and Adverb and meaning...

- ULTIMATELY, adverb, here means FINALLY and it is modifying REDUCE, but the original intention is different i.e. GOAL needs to be ULTIMATE. Correct meaning is conveyed in option E.

If you like the post, show appreciation by pressing Kudos button

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 12

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7916 [1], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)
The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most pop [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 02:01
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
'The guests that ends up' is an easy SV error to spot and eliminate. D is gone. The idea is not to reduce either guests or their expressions. The idea is to reduce the number of complainants. Therefore, A and C are gone. Between B and E; B has a problem of split infinitive in 'to ultimately reduce', and a problem of superfluity or redundancy in saying ' who end up expressing dissatisfaction. 'Who express' is more direct and dynamic.

Therefore, E remains.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Last edited by daagh on 28 Jul 2017, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 7916 [1], given: 364

Math Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 953 [0], given: 72

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 06:53

A) with the ultimate goal of reducing the guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the service in the hotels - Illogical – the guests themselves can’t be reduced
B) with the goal to ultimately reduce the number of guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service – ultimately reduce is incorrect rather ultimate should modify the goal
C) ultimately with the goal to reduce expressions of overall dissatisfaction by the guests with the hotel service – awkward – the goal is to reduce the number of dissatisfaction
D) in an ultimate attempt to reduce the number of guests that ends up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service – that can refer to guests ; Subject verb agreement issue
E) with the ultimate goal of reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service – Correct

Answer E

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 953 [0], given: 72

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9052 [0], given: 335

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 12:31
Bingo123 wrote:
Hi Sayantank,
I am in my final stages of preparation and this question has really demotivated me.

As per Magoosh, preposition noun participle ( with the ultimate goal of reducing) is an awkward construction. GMAT does not like so much action together. So I eliminated a and e.
Also, as per the idiom list in Manhattan SC : " the goal is to expand the company" - we prefer to + base form.

Using both the concepts I eliminated e and chose b.

I am not sure if there is an option to tag Magoosh so that they can clarify. Cz they have used this concept many times to eliminate answers.

It would be really helpful if you could provide your comments in resolving my query.

Hi Bingo123,

I would be glad to help you resolve your doubt. :-)

At e-GMAT, we apply meaning-based approach to solve any and every SC problem.

The original sentence says that the tourism commission's ultimate goal is to reduce the guests who complain about the services.

So, the goal is ultimate as expressed by Choice A, D, and E. Use of ultimately in Choices B and C distorts the meaning of the original sentence because these choices state that the commission's goal is to ultimately reduce. Hence, Choices B and C can be eliminated.

Also, from the context of the sentence, it is clear that the commission wants to reduce the number of those guests who complain. Hence, the appropriate expression is to reduce the number of guests as we see in Choice E. So Choice A can be eliminated.

In Choice D, the subject that that stands for plural noun guests does not agree in number with singular verb ends up. Hence, this choice is also eliminated.

Choice E indeed is the correct answer choice that conveys the intended meaning of the sentence.

It certainly is difficult to remember a bunch of complicated rules. However, applying meaning-based approach is the easy and logical way to solve SC problems.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9052 [0], given: 335

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 08:42

A) with the ultimate goal of reducing the guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the service in the hotels - "reducing the guests" hmm incorrect, should be "reducing the number of guests"
B) with the goal to ultimately reduce the number of guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service - "ultimately reduce" is awkward
C) ultimately with the goal to reduce expressions of overall dissatisfaction by the guests with the hotel service - "dissatisfaction" should be next "with the hotel service"
D) in an ultimate attempt to reduce the number of guests that ends up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service - "number of guests" does not go with plural "ends up", it should be "end up" instead
E) with the ultimate goal of reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service - CORRECT, "reducing the number of guests" is correct + "express" has the subject "guests" separated by a "who", correct + "dissatisfaction" is next to "with the hotels´ service" is also correct

NOTE: I am not an expert, therefore my analysis answering the questions may be incorrect and may not be relied upon. However I will appreciate if you can correct the mistakes I may have made in my analysis.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 534

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 11:19
Hi please explain why option D is wrong
Thanks in advance

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 534

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 165

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 12:18
sayantanc2k wrote:
abhishek1912 wrote:
Hi Experts,

(B) The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, with the goal toultimately reduce the number of guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service

The goal is not to ultimately reduce the numbers. It would be better if the commission could reduce the numbers now than if it reduces "ultimately". However the goal itself is ultimate (i.e. the final goal). Therefore placement of ultimately is wrong in option B.

Are both goal to and goal of correct??

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9052 [1], given: 335

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 13:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
arvind910619 wrote:
Thanks in advance

Hello arvind910619,

I am not sure of you still have this doubt. Nonetheless, here is my response. :-)

Let me present the sentence with Choice D:

The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, in an ultimate attempt to reduce the number of guests that ends up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service.

Please note that the noun modifier that must logically refer to guests because the guests express dissatisfaction. But it is not correct to use that to refer to people. Hence, usage of that is incorrect in choice D.

Since that must logically refer to plural guests, it must take plural verb. But the verb for that is singular ends up.

Hence, it appears that in Choice D, that has been used to refer to the phrase the number of guests. But this modification is illogical and hence incorrect because the number does not express dissatisfaction. The guests do so.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 13:19
egmat wrote:
arvind910619 wrote:
Thanks in advance

Hello arvind910619,

I am not sure of you still have this doubt. Nonetheless, here is my response. :-)

Let me present the sentence with Choice D:

The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, in an ultimate attempt to reduce the number of guests that ends up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service.

Please note that the noun modifier that must logically refer to guests because the guests express dissatisfaction. But it is not correct to use that to refer to people. Hence, usage of that is incorrect in choice D.

Since that must logically refer to plural guests, it must take plural verb. But the verb for that is singular ends up.

Hence, it appears that in Choice D, that has been used to refer to the phrase the number of guests. But this modification is illogical and hence incorrect because the number does not express dissatisfaction. The guests do so.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Can u tell me whether goal to and goal of both are correct in B and D? Thanks in advance

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most pop [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 13:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rma26 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
abhishek1912 wrote:
Hi Experts,

(B) The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, with the goal toultimately reduce the number of guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service

Are both goal to and goal of correct??

Hello rma26,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

The thing to note here is that Choice B uses the phrase goal to reduce and Choice E uses the phrase goal of reducing. Both the phrases are correct and are used oer the context of the sentence. So there is no issue with the usage of either of the phrase.

However, it is the usage of ultimately and ultimate in Choice B and E respectively that matters.

The original sentence says that the tourism commission has conducted surveys with the ultimate goal of reducing the number of guests.

Hence, the goal is ultimate. Ultimate is the adjective used for the noun goal. This is what Choice E also says and hence retains the information provided in the original sentence.

However, Choice B uses the adverb ultimately that does not modify the goal anymore. It modifies the action denoted by to reduce. So this choice says that the goal is to ultimately reduce the number of guests rather than saying that the ultimate goal is to do so.

Hence Choice B wins over Choice E with regards to the usage of ultimate.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 02:11
I would like to ask what is the DIFFERENCE between two phrases: the service in the hotels in A (wrong option) and the hotels' service in E (correct option).

And can this DIFFERENCE led to a split to eliminate A?

Many thanks for your help :thumbup:

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 267

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 03:20

1) Tourism commission (S)...................has conducted (V) : Singular SV
2) "with the ultimate goal" modifies "has conducted".
The TC has conducted surveys with the ultimate goal of reducing.............

@e-gmat, GMATNinja, and mike
What all can with modifier modify? Does it have to modify the preceding noun?

3) Ultimate is an adjective and modifies goal.
4) Goal is to reduce number of guests and not the guests.
5) who end up (plural) because plural noun -guests.

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Director
Director
G

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 03:33
GMATNinja, mike, and @e-gmat

In the official answer, its written that direct modifiers like with......should be close to what they modify. But with the ultimate goal is not close to the entity it modifies.

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 97

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 04:56
Narrowed down to A and E,,
E is clear and concise,,,

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 97

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3311 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 07:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Shiv2016 wrote:
GMATNinja, mike, and @e-gmat

In the official answer, its written that direct modifiers like with......should be close to what they modify. But with the ultimate goal is not close to the entity it modifies.

The prepositional phrase modifiers are similar to present participle modifiers - they have two usages:

1. Noun modifier (without comma - modifies the noun it touches):

Present participle: I have a friend working in that company. (underlined modifier refers to "friend")

Prepositional phrase: I have a book with brown cover. (underlined modifier refers to "book")

2. Verb modifier (with comma - refers to the verb of the preceding clause):

Present participle: I walked along the river, whistling my favourite song. (underlined modifier refers to "walked")

Prepositional Phrase: The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, with the ultimate goal of reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ Service. (underlined modifier refers to the verb "has conducted".)

Unlike noun modifiers, verb modifiers can be placed away from the verb they refer to.

Kudos [?]: 3311 [1], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 12:46

- "reducing the guests" makes no sense...should be "reducing the number of guests". how can you reduce guests?

- "goal to" is UNIDIOMATIC. should be "goal of". also, "ultimately" should be closer to goal"

- same as "B". also "ultimately" misplaced, it should be closer to "goal"

- "ultimate attempt" changes the meaning of the sentence. also, "guests that ends up" = all sorts of wrong. "guests WHO express dissatisfaction".

- correct as is

Kudos please if you find this helpful :)

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 325

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 19:31
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG 2017 New Question

it is hard to eliminate choice B.
the goal is to do/ with the goal of doing something
those are idiom hard to remember. but gmat is not playing hard-to-remember idiom (this is good news, you dont have to remember hard idioms), but playing the game of meaning analysis.

"ultimately" in B is problematic. this meaning error is more easy to see and is what gmac want us to handle.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 325

Re: The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most pop   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2017, 19:31

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 44 posts ] 

The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most pop

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap