GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 21:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

The tulu, a popular ornamental plant, does not reproduce

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Re: The tulu, a popular ornamental plant, does not reproduce  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2016, 04:31
The tulu, a popular ornamental plant, does not reproduce naturally, and is only bred and sold by specialized horticultural companies. Unfortunately, the tulu is easily devastated by a contagious fungal rot. The govt ministry plans to reassure worried gardeners by requiring all tulu plants to be tested for fungal rot before being sold. However, infected plats less than 30 weeks old have generally not built enough fungal rot to be detected relaibly. And many tulu plants are sold before they are 24 weeks old.

which of the following, if performed by the govt ministry, could logically be expected to overcome the problem with their plan to test fungal rot.

A) Releasing a general announcement that tulu plants less than 30 weeks old cannot be effectively tested for fungal rot

B) Requiring all tulu plants less than 30 weeks old to be labeled as such.

C) researching possible ways to test tulu plants less than 24 weeks old for fungal rot.

D) Ensuring that tulu plants are not sold before they are 30 weeks old. CORRECT

E) Quarantining all tulu plants from horticultural companies at which any case of fungal rot has been detected until those tulu plants can be tested for fungal rot.

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2017, 12:38
ı agree with QA, which is E however how do we decide on whether long term solution is a bad idea?

C provides a feasible solution also but we eliminate it just because it is a long term solution. Is such an approach applicable to all GMAT questions?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 09:10
ChrisLele wrote:
The problem, according to the argument, is that the fungus in the tulu plant cannot be detected until after the plants is 30 weeks old. And since most plants are sold at 24 weeks, many end up with an infected tulu plant. An easy solution would to not allow tulu plants less than 30 weeks old to be sold. That way plants that are 30+ weeks old can effectively be tested for the fungus, thereby making sure no fungus-infected tulu plants are sold. Answer choice (D) clearly matches this logic.

Hope that helps!

can you please explain, question falls in which type?

Is it inference based question or strengthening the argument question?
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 10:52
B states the old plan does not change.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 10:58
ChrisLele wrote:
The problem, according to the argument, is that the fungus in the tulu plant cannot be detected until after the plants is 30 weeks old. And since most plants are sold at 24 weeks, many end up with an infected tulu plant. An easy solution would to not allow tulu plants less than 30 weeks old to be sold. That way plants that are 30+ weeks old can effectively be tested for the fungus, thereby making sure no fungus-infected tulu plants are sold. Answer choice (D) clearly matches this logic.

Hope that helps!

Argument says "...requiring all tulu plants to be tested for fungal rot BEFORE being sold", so answer D logic flaws also - one can make a test of plants which are less than 24 weeks old, but sell them only after they are 30 weeks old, satisfysing both initial requirement of goverment and D answer requirement.

I think it is a rare example of RC where logic of correct answer is not airtight.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2018, 18:45
Option B: Since some people may not be aware of the significance of such labeling, such labeling might have very little effect. So option B is wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2018, 18:46
Avinash_R1 wrote:
ChrisLele wrote:

Hope that helps!

can you please explain, question falls in which type?

Is it inference based question or strengthening the argument question?

Evaluation of Plan
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.1
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 01:45
warriorsquared wrote:
Hey all,

Thanks for the comments here, they're really helpful.

It would be amazing if someone could walk me through where my logic is wrong.

I saw both C and D as attractive answers, and chose C. I'll explain my rationale for all answer choices. Does my logic stink anywhere? More importantly, can someone explain why D works isntead of C, and where my logic is wrong?

(A) -- a notice won't reassure gardeners since they are still just as likely to buy fungal-ridden tulus
(B) -- labeling a tulu that is less than 30 weeks old will similarly not help gardeners avoid buying fungal-ridden tulus
(C) To me, C works assuming you can find another way to test plants less than 24 weeks old. Clearly current methods of testing this plant are not good enough. I liked this answer because, assuming the research pays off, the government can still meet their original goal (to reassure gardeners that the plants have been tested). Plus, as an added bonus, this answer choice won't force customers into changing their buying habits -- after all, the fact that customers buy tulus <24 weeks old indicate that they prefer these types of tulus. The only assumption here is that the research pays off...
(D) To me, D works so long as people buy tulus >30 weeks old even though they don't currently do so. As long as the assumption that people will simply buy older tulus (i.e. that there is no preference for young tulus over old tulus), this answer choicew works.
(E) Sounded kind of extreme when I first read it, and C + D looked attractive so I didn't give this one much thought. It seems like it won't necessarily stop people from buying fungal-ridden tulus as the quarentine occurs after the fact. Seems like a weak choice to me.

If someone could explain where my logic sucks on C vs. D, that'd be great :)

In C, research MIGHT result in a solution which would let us test 24 weeks or prior but we are looking for answer which is a sure shot/definite solution
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 00:02
Hope your preparation is going well.

While we work on the argument we are looking for a plan which can solve the problem of gardeners by rightly identifying the infected Tulu plants. As the argument suggests that identification of the rotten species can be only done after a period of 30 weeks and plants are sold before they are 24 weeks, so the predicted answer should provide a solution to overcome the challenge.

A –This does not provide respite to the gardeners.

B-This answer choice does not address the problem.

C-This answer choice does not provide an immediate solution as per the expectation of the question.

D- This answer choice ensures that the gardeners are aware of the fact that whether the infected plants are fungal infected or not.

E-This answer fails to provide resolution to the problem.

Hope the explanation helps.

All the best!!

Keep practicing!
PythaGURUS Faculty Team

Our GMAT Program- Creating 750+ Scores
Our MBA Consulting- Top Schools and significant Scholarships
PythaGURUS Education
http://www.pythagurus.in

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The tulu, a popular ornamental plant, does not reproduce &nbs [#permalink] 19 Jul 2018, 00:02

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

The tulu, a popular ornamental plant, does not reproduce

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap