Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38829 [380]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [170]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [48]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: The type of behavior exhibited when an animal recognizes itself in a m [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
AbdurRakib wrote:
The type of behavior exhibited when an animal recognizes itself in a mirror comes within the domain of “theory of mind,” thus is best studied as part of the field of animal cognition.

(A) of “theory of mind,” thus is best
(B) “theory of mind,” and so is best to be
(C) of a “theory of mind,” thus it is best
(D) of “theory of mind” and thus is best
(E) of the “theory of mind,” and so it is best to be

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that the type of behavior exhibited when an animal recognizes itself in a mirror comes within the domain “theory of mind”, so this behavior is best studied as part of the field of animal cognition.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Verb Forms + Grammatical Construction

• If a sentence contains only two elements, they must be joined by a conjunction.
• The "comma + conjunction" construction is used to join the last element in a list with more than three elements; the other elements are joined with commas.
• The infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + be" in this sentence) is the preferred construction for referring to the purpose/intent of the action.

A: This answer choice incorrectly uses the "comma + conjunction ("thus" in this sentence)" to join two elements in a list - the verb phrases "comes within the domain of “theory of mind" and "is best studied as part of the field of animal cognition"; remember, if a sentence contains only two elements, they must be joined by a conjunction, and the "comma + conjunction ("thus" in this sentence)" construction is used to join the last element in a list with more than three elements.

B: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "is best to be"; the use of the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + be" in this sentence) illogically implies that the type of behavior exhibited when an animal recognizes itself in a mirror is best for the purpose of being studied as part of the field of animal cognition; the intended meaning is that the type of behavior exhibited when an animal recognizes itself in a mirror is best studied as part of the field of animal cognition; remember, the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + be" in this sentence) is the preferred construction for referring to the purpose/intent of the action. Further, Option B incorrectly uses the "comma + conjunction ("and so" in this sentence)" to join two elements in a list - the verb phrases "comes within the domain of “theory of mind" and "is best to be studied as part of the field of animal cognition"; remember, if a sentence contains only two elements, they must be joined by a conjunction, and the "comma + conjunction ("and so" in this sentence)" construction is used to join the last element in a list with more than three elements.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "of a “theory of mind,”; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the type of behavior exhibited when an animal recognizes itself in a mirror comes within the domain of one of many theories of the mind; the intended meaning is that the type of behavior exhibited when an animal recognizes itself in a mirror comes within the domain of a singular theory known as “theory of mind".

D: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase "of “theory of mind”, conveying the intended meaning - that the type of behavior exhibited when an animal recognizes itself in a mirror comes within the domain of a singular theory known as “theory of mind". Further, Option D uses the phrase "is best", conveying the intended meaning - that the type of behavior exhibited when an animal recognizes itself in a mirror is best studied as part of the field of animal cognition. Additionally, Option D correctly uses conjunction ("and thus" in this sentence) to join two elements in a list - the verb phrases "comes within the domain of “theory of mind" and "is best studied as part of the field of animal cognition"

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "is best to be"; the use of the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + be" in this sentence) illogically implies that the type of behavior exhibited when an animal recognizes itself in a mirror is best for the purpose of being studied as part of the field of animal cognition; the intended meaning is that the type of behavior exhibited when an animal recognizes itself in a mirror is best studied as part of the field of animal cognition; remember, the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + be" in this sentence) is the preferred construction for referring to the purpose/intent of the action.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [14]
Re: The type of behavior exhibited when an animal recognizes itself in a m [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Nick90 wrote:
Why is the comma used inside "theory of mind,"
Is it a typo error or is as per OG?

Dear Nick90,

Are you asking about why the comma is inside the quote marks? This is a subtle difference between British and American punctuation standards. As a general rule, if a word or phrase with quotes appears before a comma or period, Brits will close the quotes and then have a period, whereas we Yanks will include the comma or period inside the quotes;
... "theory of mind", thus ... = British convention
... "theory of mind," thus ... = American convention

Neither is "wrong" --- it's just two different conventions. Remember, of course, that GMAC, the folks that write the GMAT and all the official guides, is centered here in Reston, Virginia. They never test punctuation, in part because native English speakers from different countries have different conventions. Nevertheless, sometimes, in a non-tested part of a question, you will see the American conventions followed. Thus, it is not a typo. It is not someone trying to follow the British convention and failing: it is actually an entirely separate convention.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30795 [9]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
vishakhagoel33@gmail.com wrote:

i understand how the answer is d
but what i am not able to understand is that two independent clauses are to be separated by a semi colon or a common with a conjunction which is not the case in (d).

where am i wrong ?

Hello vishakhagoel33@gmail.com,

My guess is that since you saw the word thus in the sentence, you expected to see an independent clause after this word. Hence, the confusion why and is not preceded by a comma to make the "thus" part of the sentence independent clause.

However, that is not the case with this official sentence. So the takeaway point for you here is that it not necessary that thus will be followed by an independent clause.

It can be used with a verb to present the result of another verb/action.

If I misunderstood your question, please feel free to correct me and explain a bit more as to what is your confusion with the correct answer choice.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [7]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
longhaul123 wrote:
This is how i solved this question. So the option B is out because of the missing preposition. The use of pronoun IT in options C and E are incorrect because it can refer to either the behavior or the animal. In between A and D we need AND since the there are two independent clauses. Please correct me if am wrong.

Dear longhaul123,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, you are taking an extremely rule-based approach to GMAT SC. While you found the correct answer here, more or less by POE, I think you may be missing the forest for the trees.

I agree that we need "and," so (A) & (C) are out. I disagree that the pronoun "it" is ambiguous in any answer choice. Many elements at many levels inform the pronoun-antecedent relationship, and students often underestimate how much parallelism plays a role in determining this relationship. In particular, when two clauses are in parallel, and the subject of the second clause is a pronoun, this setup strongly suggests that the antecedent is the subject of the first clause. Another factor that influences the pronoun-antecedent relationship rhetoric, in particular, the focus of the sentence. The focus of the first clause is the subject "type of behavior," so it's crystal clear that this is the antecedent of "it."

I would say that (B) & (D) & (E) are all grammatically correct. The GMAT loves to create incorrect answer choices that are grammatically correct, because these befuddle the folks who look only at grammar.

The problem with (B) & (E) is that they are awkward. They both have the awkward structure "so is best to be studied as . . ." That's not grammatically wrong, but it's awkward. It feels off. It is a wordy, weak, sloppy way to convey this information. By contrast, (D) is sleek and elegant.

If you look only at the level of grammar rules, you will miss what the GMAT SC is about. On a correct answer on the GMAT SC, grammar and logic and rhetoric all coherently come together to produce meaning. You have to be thinking at all levels to understand the GMAT SC.

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [3]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
hi mikemcgarry egmat

Can you please explain B/E in terms of wordiness and pronoun ambiguity, if any.
Why is phrase to be studied considered awkward in (B)

WR,
Arpit

Dear Arpit adkikani,

How are you, my friend? I'm happy to respond. :-)

Here's the original sentence with (B) & (E) as well as the OA, (D):
The type of behavior exhibited when an animal recognizes itself in a mirror comes within the domain of “theory of mind,” thus is best studied as part of the field of animal cognition.
B. “theory of mind,” and so is best to be
D. of “theory of mind” and thus is best
E. of the “theory of mind,” and so it is best to be

First of all, there is zero pronoun ambiguity. Pronouns are 100% fine in this problem.

Think about if we split this into two sentences---something that is not an option on the GMAT SC, but often a choice that a real world writer would make.
The type of behavior exhibited when an animal recognizes itself in a mirror comes within the domain of “theory of mind.”
Thus, this type of behavior is best studied as part of the field of animal cognition.

That second sentence is elegant and well-spoken.

Consider this change.
Thus, this type of behavior is best to be studied as part of the field of animal cognition
That's awkward. The structure is to be [past participle] is a relatively infrequent formal structure indicating a kind of philosophical necessity.
Harmonious relationships with all are to be cultivated in human life.
The structure, which fits in that sentence, has a ring of dogmatic authority, as if both Plato and Aristotle are assuring us that this is true. This might be fine for some grand sweeping philosophical statements, but for what amounts to a practice recommendation about a particular scientific field, this grammatical structure sounds 100% out of place.

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [2]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
vishakhagoel33@gmail.com wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
A. of “theory of mind,” thus is best
B. “theory of mind,” and so is best to be
C. of a “theory of mind,” thus it is best
D. of “theory of mind” and thus is best
E. of the “theory of mind,” and so it is best to be

Please explain

OG Verbal 2017 New Question(Book Question: 296)

i understand how the answer is d
but what i am not able to understand is that two independent clauses are to be separated by a semi colon or a common with a conjunction which is not the case in (d).

where am i wrong ?

Dear vishakhagoel33@gmail.com,

I'm happy to respond. :-) Unfortunately, I don't know that I fully understand your question. In this question, in no choice are there two independent clauses. The sentence is attempting, with greater or lesser success, to put to verbs in parallel for the same subject. The subject is "type of behavior" and the parallel verbs are "comes" and "is [best] studied." Also, a semicolon is not used in any answer here. Are you asking about this question or another question?

Mike
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [2]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
hi mikemcgarry egmat

Can you please explain B/E in terms of wordiness and pronoun ambiguity, if any.
Why is phrase to be studied considered awkward in (B)

WR,
Arpit
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [2]
Kudos