GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Mar 2019, 11:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The United States has relaxed overseas borrowing rules

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User
The United States has relaxed overseas borrowing rules  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Feb 2015, 05:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (01:28) correct 56% (01:32) wrong based on 381 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The United States has relaxed overseas borrowing rules for corporates, as a result US based companies will now find it easier to refinance their dollar loans through overseas debt.

A)The United States has relaxed overseas borrowing rules for corporates, as a result US based companies will now find it easier to refinance their dollar loans through overseas debt.
B) The United States has relaxed overseas borrowing rules for corporates, so US based companies will now find it easier to refinance their dollar loans through overseas debt.
C) The United States has relaxed borrowing rules for overseas corporates, resulting in US based companiesnow finding it easier to refinance their dollar loans through overseas debt.
D) The United States will have relaxed borrowing rules for overseas corporates, so to result in US based companiesnow finding it easier to refinance their dollar loans through overseas debt.
E) The United States had relaxed borrowing rules for overseas corporates, to result in US based companiesnow finding it easier to refinance their dollar loans through overseas debt.

Re-adding the topic .

Originally posted by Lucky2783 on 26 Feb 2015, 03:35.
Last edited by carcass on 26 Feb 2015, 05:09, edited 2 times in total.
Underlined the question
Math Expert
V
Re: The United States has relaxed overseas borrowing rules  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 04:04
Lucky2783 wrote:
The United States has relaxed overseas borrowing rules for corporates, as a result US based companies will now find it easier to refinance their dollar loans through overseas debt.

A)The United States has relaxed overseas borrowing rules for corporates, as a result US based companies will now find it easier to refinance their dollar loans through overseas debt.
B) The United States has relaxed overseas borrowing rules for corporates, so US based companies will now find it easier to refinance their dollar loans through overseas debt.
C) The United States has relaxed borrowing rules for overseas corporates, resulting in US based companiesnow finding it easier to refinance their dollar loans through overseas debt.
D) The United States will have relaxed borrowing rules for overseas corporates, so to result in US based companiesnow finding it easier to refinance their dollar loans through overseas debt.
E) The United States had relaxed borrowing rules for overseas corporates, to result in US based companiesnow finding it easier to refinance their dollar loans through overseas debt.

Re-adding the topic .

hi lucky,
you have given two choices D and E, which can be rejected without looking twice...
C is out because it changes the meaning..
Although A and B are also not entirely correct with ambiguous 'it'....
there is only one difference in the two 'as a result' vs 'so'....
may be B... but ofcourse C , the OA given should not be correct because of change in meaning

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html
4) Base while finding % increase and % decrease : https://gmatclub.com/forum/percentage-increase-decrease-what-should-be-the-denominator-287528.html

GMAT Expert

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 05:01
chetan2u wrote:
Lucky2783 wrote:

Re-adding the topic .

hi lucky,
you have given two choices D and E, which can be rejected without looking twice...
may be B... but ofcourse C , the OA given should not be correct because of change in meaning

Thanks Chetan.
Yeah the OA is B , i will edit it .
could you please shed some light on 'as a result' vs 'so' which made option A wrong ?
Thanks
Lucky
Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 05:10
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 05:45
I remained with A and B. The rest answers either change the meaning or are awkward. I chose B because I am sure that 'so' is a conjunction, which I cannot say about 'as a result'. I don't think we can unite two independent clauses with 'as a result'.

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 08:22
I believe that A is incorrect since the comma connects two independent clauses. Whereas, option B uses the coordinating conjunction 'so' to connect the two clauses.

Best Regards!

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 08:34
Lucky2783 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Lucky2783 wrote:

Re-adding the topic .

hi lucky,

Thanks Chetan.
could you please shed some light on 'as a result' vs 'so' which made option A wrong ?
Thanks
Lucky

as a result is a CONJUNCTIVE ADVERB, and CONJUNCTIVE ADVERB doesn't convert an IC into DC.
Hence option A is a Run-On.

FANBOYS are used to join two ICs.
hence option B is correct.

please correct me if I am wrong
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 08:49
Lucky2783 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Lucky2783 wrote:

Re-adding the topic .

hi lucky,

Thanks Chetan.
Thanks
Lucky

hi lucky,
as said by desigmat, as a result' is a conjunctive adverb.. as a result will always start a new sentence..
ill give you two ways this could have been correct..
1)The United States has relaxed overseas borrowing rules for corporates.(full stop instead of comma) As a result,(comma should be added here)US based companies will now find it easier to refinance their dollar loans through overseas debt.
2)The United States has relaxed overseas borrowing rules for corporates, as a result of which US based companies will now find it easier to refinance their dollar loans through overseas debt.
this is my take on as a result and so, and i believe it should be correct...
hope it helps
BTW good question as the discussion shows.. kudos for that...

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html
4) Base while finding % increase and % decrease : https://gmatclub.com/forum/percentage-increase-decrease-what-should-be-the-denominator-287528.html

GMAT Expert

Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 12:37
It is another question from Aristotle that disappointed me.

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2015, 03:26
Hi All,

I want to know why C is incorrect. Clause starting off with 'resulting' accurately modifies the clause before it. It states the consequence of relaxation of overseas borrowing rules.

Anyone?

Thanks,
jitendra31
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2015, 09:57
jitendra31 wrote:
Hi All,

I want to know why C is incorrect. Clause starting off with 'resulting' accurately modifies the clause before it. It states the consequence of relaxation of overseas borrowing rules.

Anyone?

Thanks,
jitendra31

thirst of all:
"borrowing rules for overseas corporates" is not the same as "overseas borrowing rules for corporates"

Second:
you are right, resulting is an ING modifier that modifies the preceding clause. Nevertheless, the ing modifier must associate with SV of the clause.
This leads to a modifier error. It is not the US that resulted in US comp. to find easier ways to pay... It is the action of easing borrowing rules that leads to easier ways or introducing a new clause. To correctly use in this case a modifier, we need a noun+noun modifier.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2015, 11:44
mvictor wrote:
jitendra31 wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone?

Thanks,
jitendra31

thirst of all:
"borrowing rules for overseas corporates" is not the same as "overseas borrowing rules for corporates"

Second:
you are right, resulting is an ING modifier that modifies the preceding clause. Nevertheless, the ing modifier must associate with SV of the clause.
This leads to a modifier error. It is not the US that resulted in US comp. to find easier ways to pay... It is the action of easing borrowing rules that leads to easier ways or introducing a new clause. To correctly use in this case a modifier, we need a noun+noun modifier.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ING form signifies a verb modifier and not a noun modifier, and these modifiers are quite flexible in their positioning. Although i agree with the point that the sentence in itself changes the meaning, i am not sure if there is a modifier error here. If you still think there is, can you please rewrite the sentence and than explain me.
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2015, 12:49
ING form signifies a verb modifier and not a noun modifier

you are not correct.
ING+comma can modify either a clause or a noun
comma+ing - modifies only the preceding clause / not verb! /. It provides either additional information or the result of the preceding clause by associating itself with the subject and verb of the preceding clause. The ing modifier preceded by a comma has to modify the subject and the verb together.
here is an interesting article by e-gmat:
https://e-gmat.com/blog/gmat-verbal/sen ... r-sentence

Furthermore, you are not right about the flexibility either. The ING modifier together with a comma has to be either in front or after a clause. ING modifier without a comma can be placed close to a noun.

C) The United States has relaxed borrowing rules for overseas corporates, resulting in US based companies now finding it easier to refinance their dollar loans through overseas debt.

In this case, the ing modifier must associate with subject and verb of the preceding clause, but it doesn't make sense at all. It is the action of relaxation in borrowing rules that makes US based companies to easier refinance their debt. Comma+ing modifier cannot modify only a part of the clause. IF we want to keep the structure clause+modifier, we must use a noun+noun modifier. Thus, we can reformulate answer choice C:

The United States has relaxed borrowing rules for overseas corporates, an action that now made easier for US based companies to refinance their dollar loans through overseas debt.
ps. i ignored the overseas borrowing error.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2018, 01:03
mike

I have read about the usage of 'So' in one of your Blogs

Acc to that, when 'So' is used as to show the clause of consequence, it should be used in the form such as SO + [adj] + As / SO +[adj] + that
then How it is correct here?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2019, 02:24
D and E both change the tense, so they are out.

A is a run-on sentence.

‘resulting in’ does not maintain parallelism, so C is out.

B is the right answer.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The United States has relaxed overseas borrowing rules   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2019, 02:24

The United States has relaxed overseas borrowing rules

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap