Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32843 [23]
Given Kudos: 5775
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 706 [3]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8807 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: The United States Supreme Court has not always resolved legal issues o [#permalink]
Kudos
All correct except Q3 in 13 mins, including 4 mins 45 seconds to read
Para 1- SC resolutions have not always pleased Native Americans, accommodation
Para 2- power of the Supreme Court has been exercised has in a manner that has been beneficial(minor issue) or not wholly detrimental(larger issues) for natives
Para 3- achievements of Judicial system- rules of judicial construction that, in general, favor the rights of Native American litigants.
Para 4- the protection that has been provided against encroachment by the states into tribal affairs.

1. According to the passage, one reason why the United States Supreme Court “has not always resolved legal issues of concern to Native Americans in a manner that has pleased the Indian nations” (lines 1–4) is that
(E) the Court has made political compromises in deciding some cases
Many of the Court’s decisions have been products of political compromise that looked more to the temper of the times than to enduring principles of law.

2. It can be inferred that the objections raised by the critics mentioned in line 18 would be most clearly answered by a United States Supreme Court decision that

(A) demonstrated respect for Native Americans and the principles and qualities they consider important
Some critics point to the patronizing tone of many Court opinions and the apparent rejection of Native American values as important points to consider when reviewing a case.

3. It can be inferred that the author calls the judicial system of the United States “accommodating” (line 10) primarily in order to

(A) suggest that the decisions of the United States Supreme Court have been less favorable to Native Americans than most people believe
(B) suggest that the United States Supreme Court should be more supportive of the goals of Native Americans
(C) suggest a reason why the decisions of the United States Supreme Court have not always favored Native Americans
(D) indicate that the United States Supreme Court has made creditable efforts to recognize the values of Native Americans
(E) indicate that the United States Supreme Court attempts to be fair to all parties to a case

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , jennpt , VeritasPrepErika , other experts - please provide your inputs for question 3

4. The author’s attitude toward the United States Supreme Court’s resolution of legal issues of concern to Native Americans can best be described as one of

(A) wholehearted endorsement- incorrect, Certainly there have been decisions that cast doubt on the validity of this assertion
(B) restrained appreciation- Correct
(C) detached objectivity- incorrect, the author is not completely objective as he specifies his appreciation in para 3 and 4
(D) cautious opposition- incorrect, the author does not oppose
(E) suppressed exasperation- incorrect, the author is not annoyed

5. It can be inferred that the author believes that the extension of the states’ powers and jurisdictions with respect to Native American affairs would be
(D) detrimental to the interests of Native Americans- Correct
A second achievement of the judicial system is the protection that has been provided against encroachment by the states into tribal affairs.

6. The author’s primary purpose is to
(A) contrast opposing views- incorrect, no opposing views have been contrasted
(B) reevaluate traditional beliefs- incorrect, no traditional beliefs are been reevaluated
(C) reconcile divergent opinions- incorrect
(D) assess the claims made by disputants- incorrect
(E) provide evidence to support a contention- Correct, the contention is whether SC has resolved legal issues of concern to Native Americans in a manner that has been beneficial for the Native Americans

7. It can be inferred that the author believes the United States Supreme Court’s treatment of Native Americans to have been

(A) irreproachable on legal grounds- incorrect
(B) reasonably supportive in most situations- Correct,
it is worth noting that the power of the Supreme Court has been exercised in a manner that has usually been beneficial to Native Americans, at least on minor issues, and has not been wholly detrimental on the larger, more important issues.

(C) guided by enduring principles of law- incorrect, Many of the Court’s decisions have been products of political compromise that looked more to the temper of the times than to enduring principles of law.
(D) misguided but generally harmless- incorrect
(E) harmful only in a few minor cases - incorrect, it is worth noting that the power of the Supreme Court has been exercised in a manner that has usually been beneficial to Native
Americans, at least on minor issues, and has not been wholly detrimental on the larger, more important issues.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: The United States Supreme Court has not always resolved legal issues o [#permalink]
GMATNinjaTwo, workout, SajjadAhmad, GMATNinja, u1983, Gnpth

Hi - I have read the passage a dew times but am unable to get the right answers. Can you please help?

Also, what would this be rated as on the difficulty scale?

Thanks
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32843 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello kanikab

Please point out the question you are referring to.

Thanks

kanikab wrote:
GMATNinjaTwo, workout, SajjadAhmad, GMATNinja, u1983, Gnpth

Hi - I have read the passage a dew times but am unable to get the right answers. Can you please help?

Also, what would this be rated as on the difficulty scale?

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Dear SajjadAhmad
I am totally confused by this passage. I cannot connect each paragraph or get the logic of this passage, although i read this passage more than 5 times. It this passage hard or am i too weak at reading comprehension.

Here is what i get from the passage , i did not get the logic , please help clarify how to attack this passage
P1: the US supreme court has not solve some issues in the way that favor Indian nations
But accommodation is judicial and be assess the fact
P2: but Supreme court favor Native Americans
Some doubt the valid.
Valid is been illustrated (i predict there are more details of illustration)
P3: first illustration--court inclined to Native Americans
P4: second illustration -- protect Native Americans, not extend power, the powers are possessed historically.

I don’t understand, P1 says accommodation is judicial, later paragraphs don’t mention accommodations. P2 says valid is illustrated, but P3 says supreme court prefer to Native Americans, P4 says protect Native American (the same as “against encroachment into tribal affairs) . I did not get the logic or link among each paragraph.

Please ~~~
thanks in advanced
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
skywalker,
How did you reject option D in Q6.

The passage is mainly about how in many cases the supreme courts are in favor of the native people. But, Some critics point to the patronizing tone
of many Court opinions and the apparent rejection of native american tribal values. Then the assertion was evaluated with 2 examples. Option D talks about the evaluation of claims made by the opposition.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Passage Road map

Topic and Scope:

Supreme Court decisions affecting Native Americans; specifically, whether Supreme Court decisions have been beneficial to Native American interests.

Purpose and Main Idea: The author’s purpose is to argue that Supreme Court decisions have often been beneficial to Native American interests; specifically, he argues that the court has usually favored Native American interests on small issues, while it has sometimes favored them on large issues too.

Paragraph Structure:

Para 1 and 2 spell out the view of those who claim that the Supreme Court hasn’t favored Native American interests, as well as the author’s counterargument. Note the role of the Keywords “Despite” (line 10) and “However” (line 21), both of which signal that an authorial opinion follows.

In Para 3 and 4, the author provides evidence to support his view. In Para 3, he notes that the Supreme Court has interpreted existing treaties in ways that promote Native American interests. In Para 4, he notes that the court has restricted state governments from encroaching on Native American powers and rights.

The Big Picture:

• Note the classic structure of this passage. Competing points of view are described, and evidence is then presented to show that one is more compelling than the other.

• Since the author’s voice is apparent early on in the text, a passage like this one is best tackled sooner rather than later on test day. More descriptive passages, in which it’s not so easy to see what the author’s thinking and doing, are best left for later.

Hope it helps

zoezhuyan wrote:
Dear SajjadAhmad
I am totally confused by this passage. I cannot connect each paragraph or get the logic of this passage, although i read this passage more than 5 times. It this passage hard or am i too weak at reading comprehension.

Here is what i get from the passage , i did not get the logic , please help clarify how to attack this passage
P1: the US supreme court has not solve some issues in the way that favor Indian nations
But accommodation is judicial and be assess the fact
P2: but Supreme court favor Native Americans
Some doubt the valid.
Valid is been illustrated (i predict there are more details of illustration)
P3: first illustration--court inclined to Native Americans
P4: second illustration -- protect Native Americans, not extend power, the powers are possessed historically.

I don’t understand, P1 says accommodation is judicial, later paragraphs don’t mention accommodations. P2 says valid is illustrated, but P3 says supreme court prefer to Native Americans, P4 says protect Native American (the same as “against encroachment into tribal affairs) . I did not get the logic or link among each paragraph.

Please ~~~
thanks in advanced
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 599
Send PM
Hi Experts,

Please kindly post OE for 2,5,and 7.

Really appreciate your kind help.

Thank you.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
ballest127 wrote:
Hi Experts,

Please kindly post OE for 2,5,and 7.

Really appreciate your kind help.

Thank you.

Explanation

2. It can be inferred that the objections raised by the critics mentioned in line 18 would be most clearly answered by a United States Supreme Court decision that

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

In lines 18-21, we’re told that some critics of the Supreme Court’s behavior object “to the patronizing tone of many Court opinions and the apparent rejection of Native American values as important points to consider when reviewing a case.” These critics, then, would be satisfied if a court decision “demonstrated respect for Native Americans and the principles and qualities they consider important.”

(B) Protecting the rights of states in conflicts with the federal government would probably mean harming Native American interests; hence, the critics mentioned in line 18 would be very unlikely to support a court decision that proved beneficial to states.

(C), (D), and (E) Supreme Court decisions already take into account past unfair treatment of Native Americans (C) and past hardships suffered by them (D), and are intended to prevent any recurrence of past injustices (E). Moreover, the critics mentioned in line 18 don’t claim otherwise.

Answer: A

5. It can be inferred that the author believes that the extension of the states’ powers and jurisdictions with respect to Native American affairs would be

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

This choice echoes the central point of para 4 (see especially lines 48-50).

(A) The author thinks that the federal judicial system has sole authority to extend the powers and jurisdictions of states. Why else would he praise it for not doing so?

(B) Lines 51-52 say that federal judges (and Supreme Court judges are certainly federal judges) “are not inclined to view favorably efforts to extend states’ powers and jurisdictions...”

(C) Lines 53-54 say that federal judges are against extending the powers and jurisdictions of states because this would threaten the federal government’s powers and jurisdictions.

(E) What legal precedents? None are mentioned in the passage.

Answer: D

7. It can be inferred that the author believes the United States Supreme Court’s treatment of Native Americans to have been

Difficulty Level: 650

Explanation

Lines 11-16 indicate that the author believes that the Supreme Court has generally been supportive of Native Americans.

(A) and (C) Since the author notes that Supreme Court decisions have sometimes been based on political expediency rather than legal principle (lines 4-7), he clearly wouldn’t argue that its decisions are “irreproachable on legal grounds” (A) or always “guided by enduring principles of law” (C).

(D) To the contrary, the author generally endorses the Supreme Court’s treatment of Native Americans.

(E) The author never says that the Supreme Court has harmed Native Americans.

Answer: B

Hope it helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Skywalker18 wrote:
All correct except Q3 in 13 mins, including 4 mins 45 seconds to read

Glad to beat you Skywalker18, All correct in 12 mins , including 4 mins 50 seconds to read ;) :P :P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
6/7 in 12 mins. Not a bad passage for practice. Missed question 6 which I found a bit tough to infer...
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts