GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 25 Apr 2018, 22:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The various processes of paper creation, apart from destroying million

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
The various processes of paper creation, apart from destroying million [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 21:57
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (01:17) correct 42% (01:05) wrong based on 395 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The various processes of paper creation, apart from destroying millions of acres of forestland, cause acid rain, damage to the ozone, changes the climate, and human respiratory problems.

A) cause acid rain, damage to the ozone, changes the climate, and human respiratory problems
B) causes acid rain, damage to the ozone, human respiratory problems, and climate changes
C) are a cause of the acid rain, damage to the ozone, human respiratory problems, and climate changes
D) is the cause of acid rain, ozone damage, human respiratory problems, and climate changes
E) cause acid rain, changes to the climate, ozone damage, and human respiratory problems
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge
Re: The various processes of paper creation, apart from destroying million [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 16:12
can anyone tell me what is the error in option A?. thanks in advance

NOW OR NEVER

GMAT Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The various processes of paper creation, apart from destroying million [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 20:40
david2099 wrote:
can anyone tell me what is the error in option A?. thanks in advance

There is subject verb agreement error in A:

The various processes of paper creation, apart from destroying millions of acres of forestland, cause acid rain, damage to the ozone, changes the climate, and human respiratory problems.

440 to 730: If I Can, You Can Too

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Re: The various processes of paper creation, apart from destroying million [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 20:56
May I please know what is wrong with option B.

If my Post helps you in Gaining Knowledge, Help me with KUDOS.. !!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 21:45
This post received
KUDOS
rahul16singh28 wrote:
May I please know what is wrong with option B.

B have SV error --Various processes --- Causes (wrong) , it must be cause .
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 18:56
this question is a big confuse for test takers. I rarely hear that the economist is a great source to practice gmat.
This question is not hard; it just tests the noun verb agreement.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 23:51
Can someone please advise how come below listed four entities are parallel to each other ?

cause acid rain - Starts with verb
changes to the climate - Starts with verb
ozone damage - Noun entity
and human respiratory problem - Noun Entity
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 00:58
This post received
KUDOS
NeverGiveUp- Arpit wrote:
Can someone please advise how come below listed four entities are parallel to each other ?

cause acid rain - Starts with verb
changes to the climate - Starts with verb
ozone damage - Noun entity
and human respiratory problem - Noun Entity

Your second reasoning is not correct. Changes is not working as verb here. changes to the climate is working as a noun phrase.
The correct list is:

cause -
(1) acid rain,
(2) changes to the climate,
(3) ozone damage, and
(4) human respiratory problems

440 to 730: If I Can, You Can Too

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.97

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 03:56
The answer is indeed E and here are my two cents on why it is so:

Options B and D contain apparent subject/verb disagreement issue. They are out.

So is Option A. The subject/verb disagreement is prevalent there as well, yet it is somewhat more hidden and not that eye-catching. Plus, I personally tend to believe that parallelism is not fully in place with this sentence.

Between Options C and E, the winner emerges once the sentences are analyzed through the prism of a pure GMAT logic. While I cannot find a grave mistake in sentence C, I still would not prefer it to its counterpart in sentence E - and that is where the sense and the conciseness of a sentence - embraced so heavily by the majority of SC experts and GMAT instructors - come strong. Option E is much clearer and aesthetically more pleasant to read and understand.

I hope all this makes sense.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 18:44
I am confused between the answer choices C and E. I ended up selecting option E which is the correct answer, but logically I couldn't differentiate between the two options.
Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 00:46
C doesn't commit any grave grammar errors, although it's a bit confusing to say that several processes "are a cause." This can work, since the processes can collectively be one cause, but it's so simple to use the verb "cause" that I can't see a reason to add this confusion.

As for the list, the prime offender is "the acid rain." It's wrong to add "the" unless we are narrowing down the noun: "the acid rain that devastates Asian rainforests" or something like that. "Damage to the ozone" isn't terrible, but I wouldn't typically use that form (the "to" modifier) except as part of a verb phrase ("cause damage to the ozone"). Again, "ozone damage" is much simpler. "Climate changes" is odd because typically we say "climate change," since we don't usually count the exact changes. In this regard, E isn't much better, except that it avoids the misuse of a common term.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 09:00
Yuridias wrote:

So is Option A. The subject/verb disagreement is prevalent there as well, yet it is somewhat more hidden and not that eye-catching. Plus, I personally tend to believe that parallelism is not fully in place with this sentence.

Between Options C and E, the winner emerges once the sentences are analyzed through the prism of a pure GMAT logic. While I cannot find a grave mistake in sentence C, I still would not prefer it to its counterpart in sentence E - and that is where the sense and the conciseness of a sentence - embraced so heavily by the majority of SC experts and GMAT instructors - come strong. Option E is much clearer and aesthetically more pleasant to read and understand.

but option C also uses verb changes isn't it wrong?How can we justify that?
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 09:11
Sivanalabothula wrote:
Yuridias wrote:

but option C also uses verb changes isn't it wrong?How can we justify that?

Many problems with C.
C uses passive voice.
changes to climate is different from climate changes -> meaning has been changed, and distorted.
"change" in C is actually a noun.
Re: The various processes of paper creation, apart from destroying million   [#permalink] 10 Jan 2018, 09:11

The various processes of paper creation, apart from destroying million

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap