Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:31 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [188]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618608 [57]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13376 [39]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3092 [18]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Re: The vertices of a rectangle in the standard (x,y) coordinate place are [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
ronr34 wrote:
Why did you not check to see if it is the diagonal of the rectangle?
Is it not possible for the diagonal to split it into 2 equal shapes?

It is not possible to have the point (2,2) on the diagonal. Had it been on the diagonals, the slope of this line would be : \(\frac{4-0}{7-0} = \frac{2-0}{2-0}\) which is obviously not the case as these 2 values are different.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [9]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Re: The vertices of a rectangle in the standard (x,y) coordinate place are [#permalink]
Kudos
First I assumed the line passes through the origin and is a diagonal of the rectangle making the slope 1. But then I realized that the slope can't be '1' because only a square would have a slope of 1. Since this is a rectangle, its slope has to be something else.

This is a good problem where the grid lines on the worksheet come in handy. Just need to make sure to draw the sketch to scale.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [4]
Given Kudos: 176
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
megha_2709 wrote:
I am unable to understand why cant it be a diagonal and why horizontal line. The rectangle has 1 pair of sides equal , the diagonal from origin passing thru 2,2 will divide into 2 parts that is equal. Please tell me why we are considering horizontal line and not the diagonal.

Regards
Megha

A diagonal is not the only line that divides the area into two equal halves. Nor is the horizontal line. A vertical line could also divide a rectangle into two equal facts. In fact, if there is only one point given within a rectangle, we can draw a line that would not be horizontal, vertical or diagonal, that would divide a rectangle into two trapeziums of equal area. However, we need to identify which of the following points are on a line that divides the rectangle into two equal halves. A figure approach, as demonstrated by bunuel, helps.

However, if you wish to check through an extended version, find the equation of the line that would make the diagonal of the rectangle. You'd find that the point (2,2). does not lie on the diagonal. Also, it would not lie on a line that is vertical and that divides the rectangle into two equal halves. Another way of looking at the question is that the breadth of the rectangle is 4 and the length is 7. So a horizontal line with y co-ordinate 2 will for sure divide the rectangle into two equal halves. Also, a vertical line with x co-ordinate 3.5 would do the same job.

Hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [1]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
teeva wrote:
The vertices of a rectangle in the standard (x,y) coordinate place are (0,0), (0,4), (7,0) and (7,4). If a line through (2,2) partitions the interior of this rectangle into 2 regions that have equal areas, what is the slope of this line?

A. 0
B. 2/5
C. 4/7
D. 1
E. 7/4

I got confused on this question. Can you show a good method of doing it?

Look at the diagram below:
Attachment:
Rectangle.png
In order the line to divide the rectangle into two equal parts it must be horizontal. The slope of any horizontal line is zero.

Answer: A.

For more on Coordinate Geometry check here: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html

Hope it helps.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [1]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Kudos
mau5 wrote:
ronr34 wrote:

It is not possible to have the point (2,2) on the diagonal. Had it been on the diagonals, the slope of this line would be : \(\frac{4-0}{7-0} = \frac{2-0}{2-0}\) which is obviously not the case as these 2 values are different.

Yes this is what I thought.
I just didn't understand if it was a given that we need to check it, or if there was
another way of knowing without making this equation and checking.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
teeva wrote:
The vertices of a rectangle in the standard (x,y) coordinate place are (0,0), (0,4), (7,0) and (7,4). If a line through (2,2) partitions the interior of this rectangle into 2 regions that have equal areas, what is the slope of this line?

A. 0
B. 2/5
C. 4/7
D. 1
E. 7/4

I got confused on this question. Can you show a good method of doing it?

Look at the diagram below:
Attachment:
Rectangle.png
In order the line to divide the rectangle into two equal parts it must be horizontal. The slope of any horizontal line is zero.

Answer: A.

For more on Coordinate Geometry check here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/math-coordina ... 87652.html

Hope it helps.

Query
Hi Bunuel,

"In order the line to divide the rectangle into two equal parts it must be horizontal. The slope of any horizontal line is zero" Why is this always true?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Why cant a line that pass through (2,2) and make 45 degrees(slope 1) with X axis and that also splits the rectangle into two quadrilaterals be assumed ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Line passes through 2,2
Equation of line=y-y1=m(x-x1)
So y-2=m(x-2)

From the options I initially choose m=1
But it will intersect the line segment joining 0,4 and 7,4 at x=4,y,4
Two areas will be unequal

next chose m=0,
It will be a horizontal line

So,y=2 is the equation of the line and it will intersect line joining 7,4 and 7,0 at 7,2
Now we have two rectangles and both of them have areas=14.

So m=0 is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Schools: IIMB
Send PM
I am unable to understand why cant it be a diagonal and why horizontal line. The rectangle has 1 pair of sides equal , the diagonal from origin passing thru 2,2 will divide into 2 parts that is equal. Please tell me why we are considering horizontal line and not the diagonal.

Regards
Megha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 990
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35 (Online)
GRE 1: Q159 V151

GRE 2: Q159 V153
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
I was initially confused that for splitting the triangle into 2 equal areas, diagonal might be required. But then, when the graph is plotted, the line that goes through (2,2) will go straight and have coordinates (0,2) & (7,2). The area formed is half of the rectangle and the slope would be 0. [Distance between two points (2,2) - (0,2)].
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
In the above graph as shown by Bunuel

the line through (2,2) is parallel to both axis of rectangle rectangle

We know the product of slopes for parallel lines [(m1* m2)=0]

so the slope of the line through (2,2) is 0 (since slopes of other lines can not be zero)

I hope it's clear

Note: You can think of a 45-degree solution, but answer not in option list.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
M=0 (horizental line) can be obvious once we draw the rectangle and point (2,2).

In case we didn't have M=0 as an optional answer we should have looked for line that goes through (2,2) and devide the rectangle to two equal-sized trapezoids.

I wonder, what is the 'safest' and quickest way to find this line?

Thanks for the answers
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2162 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
If you drag the diagram out on your scratch pad accurately then this should be very straight forward as the only line that could possibly divide this rectangle into two equal areas is a horizontal line through 2,2; thus, the slope must be 0.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
Send PM
suhasancd wrote:
Why cant a line that pass through (2,2) and make 45 degrees(slope 1) with X axis and that also splits the rectangle into two quadrilaterals be assumed ?

Thatll make it a square..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
Recall that a horizontal slope = 0; a vertical slope = undefined.

Given the coordinates (2,2), the only way to split the rectangle evenly is to have a horizontal line going through the rectange.

Therefore we can conclude the slope = 0.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
dcummins wrote:
If you drag the diagram out on your scratch pad accurately then this should be very straight forward as the only line that could possibly divide this rectangle into two equal areas is a horizontal line through 2,2; thus, the slope must be 0.

This is how I got it, once I realized the line was through point 2,2 I knew it couldn't be vertical or through the vertices because both parts weren't even. As Bunuel stated, if the point was (3.5, 2), then the line could be in a few different directions with different slopes because that's dead middle of the rectangle.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92883 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts