It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 04:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The voluminous personal papers of Thomas Alva Edison reveal

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 304

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 0

The voluminous personal papers of Thomas Alva Edison reveal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2008, 06:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The voluminous personal papers of Thomas Alva Edison reveal that his inventions typically sprang to life not in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly from previous works.
(A) sprang to life not in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly
(B) sprang to life not in a flash of inspiration but were slowly evolved
(C) did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly
(D) did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but had slowly evolved
(E) did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but they were slowly evolved

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2007
Posts: 222

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

Schools: Life
Re: SC-Thomas Alva Edison [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2009, 17:34
This question, I believe, is from the Official Verbal Review. SC #4.
OA is C.
Can someone explain why C and not D? I answered D because his inventions started and stopped in the past.

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2008
Posts: 276

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 2

Re: SC-Thomas Alva Edison [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2009, 18:19
x-ALI-x wrote:
This question, I believe, is from the Official Verbal Review. SC #4.
OA is C.
Can someone explain why C and not D? I answered D because his inventions started and stopped in the past.


D is incorrect because of the "had"

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 2

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2006
Posts: 634

Kudos [?]: 648 [0], given: 6

Re: SC-Thomas Alva Edison [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2009, 22:16
x-ALI-x wrote:
can you elaborate?


had slowly evolved - is past perfect form. so usage of past participle is not required here.
Further, C is more idiomatic and parallel: did not spring - evolved

Idiom: Not A But B
_________________

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Kudos [?]: 648 [0], given: 6

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2007
Posts: 222

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

Schools: Life
Re: SC-Thomas Alva Edison [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2009, 22:42
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
x-ALI-x wrote:
can you elaborate?


had slowly evolved - is past perfect form. so usage of past participle is not required here.
Further, C is more idiomatic and parallel: did not spring - evolved

Idiom: Not A But B


I will buy the idiom argument, but didn't his inventions start and stop in the past...hence the need for "had"?

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 237

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-Thomas Alva Edison [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2009, 18:13
C for me too.

I think the stem talks about reveal and hence had is not reqd.
x-ALI-x wrote:
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
x-ALI-x wrote:
can you elaborate?


had slowly evolved - is past perfect form. so usage of past participle is not required here.
Further, C is more idiomatic and parallel: did not spring - evolved

Idiom: Not A But B


I will buy the idiom argument, but didn't his inventions start and stop in the past...hence the need for "had"?

_________________

-----------------------
tusharvk

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-Thomas Alva Edison   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2009, 18:13
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The voluminous personal papers of Thomas Alva Edison reveal

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.