It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 06:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Z-300 is a particularly fast new sports car, popular among young

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2420 [1], given: 178

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The Z-300 is a particularly fast new sports car, popular among young [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2015, 03:21
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (01:40) correct 39% (01:49) wrong based on 249 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Z-300 is a particularly fast new sports car, popular among young drivers. It is an expensive model, and relatively few are on the roads. Two months ago, seven different young people in Catoville were arrested for operating the Z-300 at excessive speeds on local roads while having a blood alcohol level well above the legal limit. Since then, a police watch group has reported that Catoville traffic cops frequently have been pulling over drivers of the Z-300 and testing them for alcohol: the total number of Z-300 drivers stopped and tested is five times greater than the total number of drivers of all other makes or models stopped and tested.

Which of following conclusions can most properly be drawn from the information above?

A) Drivers of the Z-300 exceed local speed limits by much higher margins than that by which they exceed highway speed limits.
B) Some drivers of the Z-300 are unfairly subjected to delays.
C) The Catoville traffic cops have provided an effective deterrent to drunk driving within Catoville.
D) Drivers of fast sports cars are more likely to drive under the influence of alcohol than drivers of any other make or model of car.
E) In the past month, the rate of arrests for drunk driving are much higher for drivers of the Z-300 than it is for drivers of any other make or model of car.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2420 [1], given: 178

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.92
The Z-300 is a particularly fast new sports car, popular among young [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 15:35
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I don't normally have issues with Magoosh questions, but I did have one with this question. Answer B can't be a conclusion; it's an assumption at best. These relative terms being thrown around here just don't cut it. How much are a "few" new model cars? How do we know if it didn't just happen that all the drivers pulled over were fairly subjected to delays because all of them just happened to be speeding?

Answer B is the BEST answer, but this shouldn't be an inference question. Too many assumptions here to arrive at B as an absolute conclusion.

Can a Magoosh representative respond to this one?

Edit: Thought about this question some more, and E would seem like a better answer by a huge margin. If we can make B to be the correct answer through a huge assumption (that just because extra cars were pulled over doesn't mean all were speeding), then E would be an even stronger answer for the following reason. Statistically, if all sports cars drivers are equally likely of having a drunk driver, if 5x more cars of this model are tested, then YES, E would be correct.

Anyone see where I am going with this?

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2420 [2], given: 178

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The Z-300 is a particularly fast new sports car, popular among young [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 23:35
This post received
KUDOS
BicepBrachii wrote:
I don't normally have issues with Magoosh questions, but I did have one with this question. Answer B can't be a conclusion; it's an assumption at best. These relative terms being thrown around here just don't cut it. How much are a "few" new model cars? How do we know if it didn't just happen that all the drivers pulled over were fairly subjected to delays because all of them just happened to be speeding?

Answer B is the BEST answer, but this shouldn't be an inference question. Too many assumptions here to arrive at B as an absolute conclusion.

Can a Magoosh representative respond to this one?

Edit: Thought about this question some more, and E would seem like a better answer by a huge margin. If we can make B to be the correct answer through a huge assumption (that just because extra cars were pulled over doesn't mean all were speeding), then E would be an even stronger answer for the following reason. Statistically, if all sports cars drivers are equally likely of having a drunk driver, if 5x more cars of this model are tested, then YES, E would be correct.

Anyone see where I am going with this?

Hello BicepBrachii
Really good points: I think a lot before found my answer to you )

The argument says nothing about speeding of the latter group: "cops frequently have been pulling over drivers of the Z-300 and testing them for alcohol" so we can not assume reason of stopping. And even if we assume this fact then we talk about all cars becasue B says only about some cars. So if 1 car was stopped not for speeding and checking for aclohol - this is case of unfair delay and B is true.

Let's check scenario if all were stopped for speeding:
All these drivers stopped for speeding but if all these cars stopped for speeding then why police do not write out a penalty for speeding and let them go? Why they start alcohol test in all cases? I do not know about USA but I think that this unusual procedure. So all these drivers subject to unfair delays in the form of alcohol checking.

About E I think that can not apply statistic and say that all cars equally likely of having a drunk driver. Maybe there is truck drivers who love to drink beer during their journeys. Also if drivers Z-300 see that their cars always check then they have incentive not to drink.

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2420 [2], given: 178

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.92

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 09:40
Hi Harley, thanks for the reply. I see where you're going with this and I agree with the reasoning. B is correct if even just one person were pulled over "unfairly" because they weren't drunk driving or speeding.

However, we can't conclude this for sure. This argument can't be tagged as a conclusion because it doesn't flow directly from the premises. Just because a bunch of Z-300 cars relative to other sports car models were pulled over, doesn't mean that not all of them were deserving of it.

I now agree that B is the best answer. However, I just don't think the question should have been asking for a conclusion, since you can't conclude that some cars were pulled over "unfairly" based off the information presented.

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The Z-300 is a particularly fast new sports car, popular among young [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 08:26
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Re: The Z-300 is a particularly fast new sports car, popular among young   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2017, 08:26

The Z-300 is a particularly fast new sports car, popular among young

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap