It is currently 19 Sep 2017, 21:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1632 [1], given: 62

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Sentence correction !!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2013, 10:27
This post received
KUDOS
smrutipattnaik wrote:
Which one of the following is right ??
a. Theo Mark, the jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work that was rooted in the stride-piano tradition of will smith and duke.
b. Jazz pianist and composer Theo Mark produced a body of work that was rooted in the stride-piano tradition of will smith and duke.

Regards,
Smruti

In A, it seems that there are three persons: Theo Mark, the Jazz pianist and composer.
In B, the "jazz pianist and composer" modifies Theo Mark.
Both suggest different meanings and correct in their respects. To choose among these two would require the original sentence to be presented.
Regards

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Kudos [?]: 1632 [1], given: 62

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 28

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2013, 10:34
Marcab- I don't think your explanation is correct as the clause ' the jazz artist and composer' is between commas representing this clause as a non-essential modifier modifying the noun . If at all there was not a comma after composer your explanation would have made sense. What say guys?

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 28

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1632 [0], given: 62

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2013, 10:55
Yes, the comma has made the difference. I didn't notice it.
P.S. "the jazz pianist and composer" is not a clause.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Kudos [?]: 1632 [0], given: 62

3 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 952 [3], given: 321

GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2013, 15:31
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
smrutipattnaik wrote:
Which one of the following is right ??
a. Theo Mark, the jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work that was rooted in the stride-piano tradition of will smith and duke.
b. Jazz pianist and composer Theo Mark produced a body of work that was rooted in the stride-piano tradition of will smith and duke.

Regards,
Smruti

Hi Smruti,

You have changed the original Official question , nonetheless this is a good question to learn from.

If you have a noun prefaced by expression that is NOT preceded by an article 'THE/AN/A' then you do not need a comma this is the case in choice
Jazz pianist and composer Theo Mark
produced a body of work that was rooted in the stride-piano tradition of will smith and duke.

If it said 'The/A jazz pianist and composer , Theo Mark (comma is needed because article is used ) or
if it said Innovative and Creative, Theo mark.. (comma needed because Noun preceded by adjective)

BTW the reason for elimination of choice [a] in the official question was a //m issue ;there is nothing wrong with the sentence structure
Theo Mark, the jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work that was rooted in the stride-piano tradition of will smith and duke.
Noun, modifier, rest of the clause---is a OK structure

For clarity the original question is

Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

a) same as above
b) Thelonious Monk, the jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work that was rooted both
c) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted
d) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted
e) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work rooted both

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

How to select your BSchool?
General Mistakes to Avoid on the GMAT
TOP 10 articles on Time Management on the GMAT
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum

Kudos [?]: 952 [3], given: 321

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 37

Schools: Tepper '16 (S)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2013, 22:45
rakeshd347 wrote:
circkit wrote:
Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both
rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in
many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.
A. Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted
B. Thelonious Monk, the jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work that was rooted both
C. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted
D. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted
E. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work rooted both

Please explain ur answers..!

D is the correct answer here…

A B and E are out because of "both"
C uses unnecessary "who"….it looks awkward.

D is the correct answer here.

Hi ,
Even i found out D to be right but i have a concern in sentence D , there should be a "," after jazz pianist and composer .

Jazz pianist and composer , Theologist --- indicates that this guy was both jazz pianist and composer
Jazz Pianist and composer Theologist -- i get a notion that there are 2 persons.

And HE in the clause again confuses me. Can someone explain this please?

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 37

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 855 [1], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2013, 21:52
This post received
KUDOS
venkat18290 wrote:
rakeshd347 wrote:
circkit wrote:
Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both
rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in
many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.
A. Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted
B. Thelonious Monk, the jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work that was rooted both
C. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted
D. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted
E. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work rooted both

D is the correct answer here…

A B and E are out because of "both"
C uses unnecessary "who"….it looks awkward.

D is the correct answer here.

Hi ,
Even i found out D to be right but i have a concern in sentence D , there should be a "," after jazz pianist and composer .

Jazz pianist and composer , Theologist --- indicates that this guy was both jazz pianist and composer
Jazz Pianist and composer Theologist -- i get a notion that there are 2 persons.

And HE in the clause again confuses me. Can someone explain this please?

Hi,

When you don't use an article while describing noun's occupation or what it does you don't use a comma as in the case above:

Jazz Pianist and composer Theologist

However when you use an article with noun's occupation or what it does you will require a comma to describe noun:

A jazz pianist and a composer, Theologist

Hope it helps

Rgds,
TGC

Rgds,
TGC!

Kudos [?]: 855 [1], given: 322

3 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
B

Kudos [?]: 1565 [3], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2013, 12:33
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
If you use "BOTH" the sentence structure would have to be:
"that was rooted both in X....and ...in Y"

We have:
"that was rooted both in [the stride-piano tradition of these guys], yet in many ways.."

WHERE is Y?

Note the "and" between "Willie and Duke Ellington" isn't part of the same structure. You would need the word "IN" or some other prepositional phrase like "both IN X and ON Y"---simply have the word "and" without the correct structure is NOT what we want.

SO there is no X&Y consistency here so it's no good. Specifically, the word "BOTH" is no good.

There's nothing wrong with "the jazz pianist and composer" - it's just that if you see other answer choices that say the same exact thing but in fewer words, then you want the other guy. "THE jazz pianist and composer" can be simplified to "Jazz pianist and composer" without sacrificing any meaning.

Kudos [?]: 1565 [3], given: 8

7 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3401 [7], given: 123

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2013, 00:05
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
2013gmat wrote:
Hi Buddy,

thelonious-monk-who-was-a-jazz-pianist-and-composer-47937.html

In this question could you please let me know If I have to choose between
1)rooted
2)was rooted

then which one should I choose??

Thanks for your help :)

Main problem of this sentence is PARALLELISM: idiom: both X and Y --> X and Y must be parallel.

Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

Wrong. Not parallel: both rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie Smith and Duke Ellington

Wrong. Same as in A. rooted both in the stride-piano tradition of Willie Smith and Duke Ellington

Wrong. A clause "who produced a body......" is MODIFIER ==> It means if you eliminate it, the sentence is still sensible. Let try:
Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory..
==> The red part is not a sentence. --> Wrong.
The green part is a complete sentence with S and V.

Correct.

Wrong. Same problem as in A and B. rooted both in the stride-piano tradition of Willie Smith and Duke Ellington

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3401 [7], given: 123

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur

Kudos [?]: 666 [0], given: 80

GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2013, 10:36
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Kudos [?]: 666 [0], given: 80

4 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3401 [4], given: 123

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2013, 12:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Note:
idiom: Both X and Y ==> X and Y must be parallel in terms of grammar structure.

(A) Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted
Wrong. idiom problem: "a body of work both rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie Smith and Duke Ellington" ==> The two red parts are not parallel - "rooted in the stride-piano VS. Duke Ellington"

(B) Thelonious Monk, the jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work that was rooted both
Wrong. idiom problem: a body of work that was rooted both in the stride-piano tradition of Willie Smith and Duke Ellington" ==> The two red parts are not parallel - "the stride-piano VS. Duke Ellington"

(C) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted
Wrong. "Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington" is not a complete sentence.

(D) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted
Correct. parallel structure: rooted in the stride-piano of X and Y. ==> Willie Smith VS. Duke Ellington.

(E) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work rooted both
Wrong. idiom problem: "a body of work rooted both in the stride-piano of Willie Smith and Duke Ellington" ==> The stride-piano VS. Duke Ellington ==> Wrong.

Hope it helps.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Kudos [?]: 3401 [4], given: 123

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 39

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 530 Q39 V23
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V26
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2013, 10:42

Doesn't this sound like there were two persons who actually produced a body of work i.e. jazz pianist and another one is composer Thelonious monk.

(though I see "he" in later part of the sentence)

Please help me understand this

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 39

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer product [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2013, 15:07
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

20 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3401 [20], given: 123

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2013, 00:22
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
siddhans wrote:

a) Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted
b) Thelonious Monk, the jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work that was rooted both
c) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted
d) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted
e) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work rooted both

Because we use idiom "both X and Y" too often, so when we see the idiom we will pick options having this idiom intuitively. GMAT, however, prefers standard idioms. In this question,
"both X and Y" must be used precisely, otherwise it's going wrong.

Note: Both X and Y <== X and Y MUST be parallel in meaning and grammar.
OG questions seem to be easy, but they have more sophisticated traps than we thought.

a) Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted
Wrong. Parallelism problem: both rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington,
- "rooted" is verb, "Duke Ellington" is noun <-- cannot parallel.

Wrong. Parallelism problem: rooted both in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington,
- The stride-piano tradition AND Duke Ellington are not parallel.

Wrong. Modifier problem. The clause "who....." has a comma before it. Technically, the clause is NON-essential. It means we can omit the clause without any meaning change. But that's wrong. The clause is ESSENTIAL. We can't omit it.

Correct. parallelism: rooted in the stride-piano tradition of X and Y.

Wrong. Parallelism problem: rooted both in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington,
- The stride-piano tradition AND Duke Ellington are not parallel.

Hope it helps.

Kudos [?]: 3401 [20], given: 123

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 2405

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 5: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 6: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 7: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 8: 730 Q50 V39

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2014, 22:08
Can someone explain to me why the appositive "Jazz pianist and composer" in D is correct without a comma after it? Is it even an appositive? I quickly eliminated C-E because of this issue, but I realized in the end that D was the best answer.

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 2405

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 01-18-2014
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2014, 04:31
TooLong150 wrote:
Can someone explain to me why the appositive "Jazz pianist and composer" in D is correct without a comma after it? Is it even an appositive? I quickly eliminated C-E because of this issue, but I realized in the end that D was the best answer.

I guess The Chairperson and CEO Mr.X and Mr.X, the chairperson and CEO are the correct usage. The former doesn't require a comma while the latter does.

Cheers,
BG

Hit 'Kudos' if you find my post helpful

OG 13 Verbal Directory: http://gmatclub.com/forum/official-guide-verbal-question-directory-og-13-and-og-161949.html#p1121171
Question Of the Day: http://gmatclub.com/blog/category/blog/gmat-tests/?fl=menu
Extreme Collection of 2000 PS & DS: http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html?fl=similar
CR Tips & Approach to arrive at Best Answer: http://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html

Arise, Awake and Stop not till the goal is reached. I won't stop till I hit 700+

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 10

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1034 [0], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2014, 11:28
email2vm wrote:

Doesn't this sound like there were two persons who actually produced a body of work i.e. jazz pianist and another one is composer Thelonious monk.

(though I see "he" in later part of the sentence)

Please help me understand this

Jazz pianist XYZ and composer Thelonious Monk -> these are two people.

Jazz pianist and composer -> modifies Thelonious Monk.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 30

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 06-26-2014
GPA: 4
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2014, 18:27
circkit wrote:

Please explain why is C wrong???

~nityam

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 06-26-2014
GPA: 4
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2014, 18:32
nityamskhurana wrote:
circkit wrote:

~nityam

Found an explanation: http://www.beatthegmat.com/thelonious-m ... 81597.html

Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington , yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

The green colored one is a relative clause...now a relative clause can not be an independent clause that means we need an IC to make a complete sentence but if you see the red one which supposed to be the main clause..u see it lacks a verb. the "Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk" the main subject needs a verb a verb which is missing hence its a fragment.

Current Student

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2014, 22:29
nityamskhurana wrote:
circkit wrote:

~nityam

Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted in the
stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

Both X and Y . X and Y should be parallel.

X = in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith
Y = Duke Ellington

Hence Both cannot be used.

(A) Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted - Eliminated for above reason
(B) Thelonious Monk, the jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work that was rooted both - Eliminated for above reason
(C) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk,who produced a body of work rooted

who indicates a modifier so I can remove it and still the sentence should make sense

Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk,who produced a body of work rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

If I remove clause starting with who
Rest of the sentence becomes "Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk,yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory"
clause starting with yet is DC, the earlier clause should be an IC . "Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk" cannot be an IC - Incorrect

(D) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted - Correct

(E) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work rooted both - Eliminated for above reason

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
Re: Which one of the following is right ?? a. Theo Mark, the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2014, 12:23
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Re: Which one of the following is right ?? a. Theo Mark, the   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2014, 12:23

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 108 posts ]