It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 23:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7875 [0], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)
Re: Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2016, 05:03
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Pl. note the word ‘both’ is a wrong diction in the context. There is only one style namely the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington in which Monk’s jazz was rooted and not two styles as the text wants to make out by deviously citing two musicians. Therefore, all choices that use the word ‘both’ namely A, B and E are out of the race. Between C and D, C is a fragment. D is the correct answer.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7875 [0], given: 363

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer product [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 22:42
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 612

GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 4: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Project Management (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2016, 08:29
circkit wrote:
Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

A. Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted
B. Thelonious Monk, the jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work that was rooted both
C. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted
D. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted
E. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work rooted both

Please explain ur answers..!

- Notice the use of the idiom "both X and Y"

[X] - A. Both [rooted....] and [Duke Ellington] - these 2 items are not parallel.
[X] - B. Both [in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith] and [Duke Ellington] - these 2 items are not parallel.
[V] - C. This options fixes the parallelism issues, but interduce a sentence fragment. The sentence that starts with "Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk" has not verb.
[X] - D. Correct.
[X] - E. Both [in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith] and [Duke Ellington] - these 2 items are not parallel.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2016, 15:19
About the answer D, isn't that a wordy expression?
...a body of work that was rooted..., would it be better if I just say: ...a body of work rooted..., without 'that was'?

Thank you!

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 224 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2016, 18:47
helloken wrote:
Keep wordiness for the end. It's the kind of thing you'd turn to if you had nothing else (in terms of grammar and meaning) that could help you take a decision.

Profile and Official GMAT score report

Kudos [?]: 224 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 09:18
helloken wrote:
...a body of work that was rooted..., would it be better if I just say: ...a body of work rooted..., without 'that was'?

Thank you!

Notice that wordiness is a style preference, and not a grammar or logical flaw.

Hence when you check for "wordiness" make sure that both sentence you compare are grammatically correct & logically identical.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 29

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.01
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2016, 23:00
The answer lies in identifying the ||ism error. both in x and in y should have avoided the error if at all we consider the Y an independent entity.

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 29

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 17

Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2016, 01:13
Can I eliminate A B E just cause they have used both...and?

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 17

Manager
Manager
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2016, 01:34
paidlukkha wrote:
Can I eliminate A B E just cause they have used both...and?

Nope. "Both X and Y" is a correct idiom. The issue here is the X and Y in the answers you mentioned are not logicaly parallel. Read my answer above for more details.

Hope this helps

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 365 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2016, 00:47
D is the correct answer
Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

IF you remove "both" from Option A, then it would be the perfect sentence, even better than D.
Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

circkit wrote:
Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

A. Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted
B. Thelonious Monk, the jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work that was rooted both
C. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted
D. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted
E. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work rooted both

Please explain ur answers..!

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Kudos [?]: 365 [0], given: 36

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 4

Schools: Schulich '16

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2016, 01:02
kinjiGC wrote:
email2vm wrote:

Doesn't this sound like there were two persons who actually produced a body of work i.e. jazz pianist and another one is composer Thelonious monk.

(though I see "he" in later part of the sentence)

Please help me understand this

Jazz pianist XYZ and composer Thelonious Monk -> these are two people.

Jazz pianist and composer -> modifies Thelonious Monk.

also this choice is a run -on.read carefully

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 4

Top Contributor
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 2662 [0], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2016, 12:30
Top Contributor
hsbinfy wrote:
kinjiGC wrote:
email2vm wrote:

Doesn't this sound like there were two persons who actually produced a body of work i.e. jazz pianist and another one is composer Thelonious monk.

(though I see "he" in later part of the sentence)

Please help me understand this

Jazz pianist XYZ and composer Thelonious Monk -> these are two people.

Jazz pianist and composer -> modifies Thelonious Monk.

also this choice is a run -on.read carefully

IMO, with Answer Choice D,original sentence is not a run-on

COMMA+Conjunction make the sentences NOT a run-on in any way.

Please correct me if I missed your point.

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 2662 [0], given: 220

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2016, 23:37
Hello @e-gmat,
Could you please explain the use of "was" - in "that was rooted" in option D.
was suggests that it no longer is rooted .

Thanks in advance :)

Intern
Intern

SC query [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2016, 23:23
Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory-
(A) Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted
(B) Thelonious Monk, the jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work that was rooted both
(C) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted
(D) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted
(E) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work rooted both

Although the OG 16 mentions D as the correct answer, i would like to know the use of comma ,which makes b as the right choice in my assumptions.
Much guidance needed here.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: SC query [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2016, 01:42
Easiest Clue to rule out B, both with and creates redundancy.

Omkar Kamat
When The Going Gets Tough, The Tough Gets Going !!

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Top Contributor
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal

Kudos [?]: 574 [0], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2016, 18:09
Top Contributor
this question tests you on parallelism -

Note that this correlative conjunction - Both X and Y - requires X and Y to be perfectly parallel.

Let us look at the answer options -

A - "both rooted in ...and Duke Ellington" - these two things are not in parallel.

B - "both in the stride piano ... and Duke Ellington" - these two things are not in parallel.

C - "Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory"

Note that "yet" is used as co-ordinating conjunction here. Hence, two things that it contrasts must be parallel. Also, note that the portion in blue is a modifier.

"in many ways he stood apart ..." - a clause - is contrasted with "Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk" - a phrase.
Hence, incorrect.

D - Correct answer. Note that we are not using the correlative conjunction both X and Y.

"... rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington" - these two things are in parallel.

E - "both in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington"
these two things are not in parallel.

Enroll for our GMAT Trial Course here -
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/

Learn all PS and DS strategies here-
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/p/mastering-quant-on-gmat

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Kudos [?]: 574 [0], given: 6

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 56

GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2016, 16:43
sakshamgulati123 wrote:
Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory-
(A) Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted
(B) Thelonious Monk, the jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work that was rooted both
(C) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted
(D) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted
(E) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work rooted both

Although the OG 16 mentions D as the correct answer, i would like to know the use of comma ,which makes b as the right choice in my assumptions.
Much guidance needed here.

The commas are fine in both (B) and (D). I assume you're talking about the modifier 'the jazz pianist and composer'/'jazz pianist and composer', which has commas in (B) but not in (D), right?

But you're in luck: the GMAT doesn't test commas in this way. The only situation in which I've seen the GMAT test commas, is when you're dealing with essential vs. inessential modifiers. Commas can sometimes give you a clue that something is wrong, but they aren't really tested directly, so you should focus on other issues first.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 56

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3282 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer product [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2017, 07:00
The OA is correct and explanations provided in the thread appear sufficient. If there are any specific questions, please post them here and then click again on the "Request Expert Reply" button – closing this request.

Kudos [?]: 3282 [0], given: 22

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2017, 01:11
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 232

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 19:55

--> fragment.

--> correct.

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 232

Re: Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer,   [#permalink] 02 May 2017, 19:55

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 108 posts ] 

Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap