It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 20:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Theory on all of the following weaken the argument except

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 83 [1], given: 71

Theory on all of the following weaken the argument except [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2013, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (01:20) correct 43% (01:33) wrong based on 287 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

These are the CR questions that I struggle the most with. I tend to look at it as find the one that strengthens the conclusion. Although that may not be correct. Is it fair to say it can be strengthen or irrelevant?

4. The amount of money estimated to be lost by Hollywood studios due to DVD piracy overseas increased to more
than $500 million last year. As a consequence, Hollywood studios have little prospect of making money this year
by exporting their films worldwide. All of the following, if true, weaken the argument except:

• $500 million represents a very small fraction of overseas profits.
• New laws and heightened international enforcement aimed at this piracy were implemented in January of this year
and have been effective.
• Even in countries where DVD piracy is widespread, theatrical first-run distribution is both very popular and profitable.
• Last year, all films that were nominated for an Academy Award were known to have been pirated on DVD.
• Domestic DVD sales were sharply higher last year; in the past, strong domestic sales have been an indicator of
higher international DVD sales in the following year.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 83 [1], given: 71

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor

Kudos [?]: 48 [1], given: 7

Re: Theory on all of the following weaken the argument except [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2013, 20:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
That's right. For a question like this, you want to think "not-weaken" rather than "strengthen". If a response is irrelevant, it does not weaken the argument. In this case, that makes it the right choice.

Economist GMAT Tutor
http://econgm.at/econgmat
(866) 292-0660

Kudos [?]: 48 [1], given: 7

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 03:31
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Expert
P

Kudos [?]: 5827 [0], given: 117

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 09:32
4. The amount of money estimated to be lost by Hollywood studios due to DVD piracy overseas increased to more
than $500 million last year. As a consequence, Hollywood studios have little prospect of making money this year
by exporting their films worldwide. All of the following, if true, weaken the argument except:

Ofcourse this means even if the trend continues this year, the amount lost is very small in overall profit.. weakens

• New laws and heightened international enforcement aimed at this piracy were implemented in January of this year
and have been effective.
This tells us that new laws could have had an impact on the piracy and this loss may not happen this year.. Weakens

• Even in countries where DVD piracy is widespread, theatrical first-run distribution is both very popular and profitable.
This gives us reason to continue exporting dvds as the first -run distribution is profitable... Weakens

• Last year, all films that were nominated for an Academy Award were known to have been pirated on DVD.
Irrelevant, so does not Weakwn.... Answer

• Domestic DVD sales were sharply higher last year; in the past, strong domestic sales have been an indicator of
Again gives another reason to believe it will be profitable... Weakens conclusion

D

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5827 [0], given: 117

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 131

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 12:10
chetan2u wrote:

Ofcourse this means even if the trend continues this year, the amount lost is very small in overall profit.. weakens

and have been effective.
This tells us that new laws could have had an impact on the piracy and this loss may not happen this year.. Weakens

This gives us reason to continue exporting dvds as the first -run distribution is profitable... Weakens

Irrelevant, so does not Weakwn.... Answer

Again gives another reason to believe it will be profitable... Weakens conclusion

D

Hello chetan2u,

As per my understanding, option "D" strengthens the argument by saying that last year piracy of good movies was done, so sam can be expected.

Also, IMO option "E" is a weakener because dvd sales might have increased but we dont know whether they are strong or not. Thus we cant infer anything from this statement.

Please correct my understanding. I also chose "D" because of aforesaid reasoning.

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 77 [1], given: 106

GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 19:12
This post received
KUDOS
Just wanna add my two cents on option (D)

gmatexam439 wrote:

As per my understanding, option "D" strengthens the argument by saying that last year piracy of good movies was done, so sam can be expected.

Some people may assume that Academy Award is the most important factor determining DVD sales. But, as far as I'm concerned, this is not necessarily true in case of exporting films. Not sure whether you notice, but I see a lot success cases of overseas DVD sales whose explanation is sometimes just simply that the cultures, traditions, shooting scenes, etc. the movies delivered match local audience's interest. For example, a foreign film featuring host country's cultures and natural landscape may have a high chance of attracting a large number locals who are curious to see how their country looks like from perspective of foreigners. Therefore, I think "Academy Award" factor is "too narrow to be relevant" in this case. :)

Regarding option (E)

gmatexam439 wrote:

Also, IMO option "E" is a weakener because dvd sales might have increased but we dont know whether they are strong or not. Thus we cant infer anything from this statement.

If you're wondering to what extent it is strong or not, then you could apply that thinking to options (B) and (C) too, e.g. whether new regulations will be strong enough to prevent DVD piracy??...

Maybe sometimes we do not need to think too much, because option (D) is more problematic, I think.

Kudos [?]: 77 [1], given: 106

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 01:20
Lucy Phuong wrote:
Just wanna add my two cents on option (D)

gmatexam439 wrote:

Some people may assume that Academy Award is the most important factor determining DVD sales. But, as far as I'm concerned, this is not necessarily true in case of exporting films. Not sure whether you notice, but I see a lot success cases of overseas DVD sales whose explanation is sometimes just simply that the cultures, traditions, shooting scenes, etc. the movies delivered match local audience's interest. For example, a foreign film featuring host country's cultures and natural landscape may have a high chance of attracting a large number locals who are curious to see how their country looks like from perspective of foreigners. Therefore, I think "Academy Award" factor is "too narrow to be relevant" in this case. :)

Regarding option (E)

gmatexam439 wrote:

If you're wondering to what extent it is strong or not, then you could apply that thinking to options (B) and (C) too, e.g. whether new regulations will be strong enough to prevent DVD piracy??...

Maybe sometimes we do not need to think too much, because option (D) is more problematic, I think.

Perfectly summarised. Now I have a new point of view which i can use while solving other questions. Healthy discussions are always fruitful. +1 :)

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 106

GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 02:15
gmatexam439 wrote:

Perfectly summarised. Now I have a new point of view which i can use while solving other questions. Healthy discussions are always fruitful. +1 :)

Yes, I always bear in my mind that a correct choice is not the one and only perfect answer, but the best among 5 options.
Cheers :)

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 106

Re: Theory on all of the following weaken the argument except   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2017, 02:15

Theory on all of the following weaken the argument except

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap