Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:40 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [81]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618555 [14]
Given Kudos: 81561
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 577 [1]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22038 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: There are 150 students at Seward High School. 66 students [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
saurabhgoel wrote:
There are 150 students at Seward High School. 66 students play baseball, 45 play basketball, and 42 play soccer. 27 students play exactly two sports, and three students play all three of the sports. How many of the 150 students play none of the three sports?

A. 0
B. 27
C. 30
D. 99
E. 78

We can create the following equation:

Total students = # who play baseball + # who play basketball + # who play soccer - # who play exactly two - 2(# who play all 3) + # who play neither

150 = 66 + 45 + 42 - 27 - 2(3) + n

150 = 120 + n

n = 30

Answer: C
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9238 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
0Lucky0 wrote:
I am still unable to understand how 27{exactly 2 sports} is being counted twice when we add Baseball + basketball + soccer ? Even the venn Diagram has 3 yellow parts. So I am confused regarding it. Can you please shed some more light on this one part? I understand the rest of the logic.

There's a better way to do the question, as I'll explain below, but if we have 66 baseball players, 45 basketball players, and 42 soccer players, we have 66+45+42 = 153 players in total, but we've counted some of these players twice. We have 3 who play every sport, so we've counted those people three times. We only want to count them once, so we should subtract 2*3 = 6 from our total. We also have 27 who play exactly two sports, so we've also counted those people twice. We only want to count them once, so we should subtract a further 27 from our total. So we really have only 153 - 6 - 27 = 120 unique players who play one or more of the sports, and since there are 150 students in total, 30 play none of the sports.

But you don't need to think through this problem that way. We can draw a 3-circle Venn diagram:

• we know we have 3 players in the middle, where all the circles overlap
• we know we have 27 players somewhere where pairs of circles overlap. We don't know where these players go, but it cannot matter where we put them; if it mattered, i.e. if the answer to the question changed depending where these 27 people are in the Venn diagram, the question would have more than one right answer, and that can never be true of a GMAT PS question. So we can put these 27 anywhere we like, knowing we'll get the right answer no matter what we do. We can put them, say, where baseball and basketball overlap, and then we'll have 0 people where baseball and soccer overlap, and 0 where basketball and soccer overlap
• then it's easy to fill in the rest of the Venn diagram -- we have accounted for 30 of the baseball and basketball players, so 36 play only baseball, and 15 only basketball. We have accounted for only 3 soccer players, so 39 play only soccer.
• now we have an entire Venn diagram filled-in, and adding the numbers in each region, we have 36 + 15 + 39 + 27 + 0 + 0 + 3 = 120 people in the diagram, so 30 must be outside the diagram.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
There are 150 students at Seward High School. 66 students [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
0Lucky0 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
saurabhgoel wrote:
There are 150 students at Seward High School. 66 students play baseball, 45 play basketball, and 42 play soccer. 27 students play exactly two sports, and three students play all three of the sports. How many of the 150 students play none of the three sports?
A) 0
B) 27
C) 30
D) 99
E) 78

Please help to understand the approach to tackle the venn diagram problems !!!

150 = {baseball} + {basketball} + {soccer} - {exactly 2 sports} - 2*{exactly 3 sports} + {none of the ports}:

150 = 66 + 45 + 42 - 27 - 2*3 + {none of the ports} --> {none of the ports}=30

Answer: C.

Look at the diagram:
Attachment:
untitled.PNG
When we sum {baseball} + {basketball} + {soccer} we count students who play exactly 2 sports (yellow section) twice, so to get rid of double counting we are subtracting {exactly 2 sports} once.

Similarly, when we sum {baseball} + {basketball} + {soccer} we count students who play exactly 3 sports (blue section) thrice (as it is the portion of all three groups), so to count this group only once we are subtracting 2*{exactly 3 sports}.

For more on this check: https://gmatclub.com/forum/formulae-for ... ml#p729340

Hope it helps.

Bunuel,
I am still unable to understand how 27{exactly 2 sports} is being counted twice when we add Baseball + basketball + soccer ? Even the venn Diagram has 3 yellow parts. So I am confused regarding it. Can you please shed some more light on this one part? I understand the rest of the logic.

IanStewart, KarishmaB, chetan2u, MartyTargetTestPrep, If possible. Thanks :)

Check out this blog post first: https://anaprep.com/sets-statistics-thr ... ping-sets/

"counted twice" means that the elements in this region belong to two sets.
In my diagram, the elements in the green region d belong to both Set A and Set B.
Similarly, elements in the region e belong to both Set B and Set C.
Elements in the region f belong to both Set A and Set C.

That is why elements in regions d, e and f are counted twice, because they are counted in both sets to which they belong.

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 10 May 2023, 23:44.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 08 Aug 2023, 02:07, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: General
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Send PM
Re: Venn Diagram [#permalink]
great explanation using venn diagram +1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 248 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Finacee, General Management
Schools:ISB, HEC, Said
 Q48  V28
Send PM
Bunuel can we expect 3 overlapping set question on GMAT and are we supposed to know the formula.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618555 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
prashantbacchewar wrote:
Bunuel can we expect 3 overlapping set question on GMAT and are we supposed to know the formula.

I've seen several GMAT questions on 3 overlapping sets, so you should understand the concept behind such kind of problems. Check this for more: formulae-for-3-overlapping-sets-69014.html#p729340
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Hi you try doing question 203 in OG 17 the same way? there the 2*aandband c is not working Bunuel
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Anazeer wrote:
Hi you try doing question 203 in OG 17 the same way? there the 2*aandband c is not working Bunuel

Please check that question HERE.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Hi Bunuel thanks a lot can question 132 be tackled the same way?
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Anazeer wrote:
Hi Bunuel thanks a lot can question 132 be tackled the same way?

Check HERE.

All other OG questions are HERE.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 222
Send PM
There are 150 students at Seward High School. 66 students [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
saurabhgoel wrote:
A) 0
B) 27
C) 30
D) 99
E) 78

Please help to understand the approach to tackle the venn diagram problems !!!

150 = {baseball} + {basketball} + {soccer} - {exactly 2 sports} - 2*{exactly 3 sports} + {none of the ports}:

150 = 66 + 45 + 42 - 27 - 2*3 + {none of the ports} --> {none of the ports}=30

Answer: C.

Look at the diagram:
Attachment:
untitled.PNG
When we sum {baseball} + {basketball} + {soccer} we count students who play exactly 2 sports (yellow section) twice, so to get rid of double counting we are subtracting {exactly 2 sports} once.

Similarly, when we sum {baseball} + {basketball} + {soccer} we count students who play exactly 3 sports (blue section) thrice (as it is the portion of all three groups), so to count this group only once we are subtracting 2*{exactly 3 sports}.

For more on this check: https://gmatclub.com/forum/formulae-for ... ml#p729340

Hope it helps.

Bunuel,

IanStewart, KarishmaB, chetan2u, MartyTargetTestPrep, If possible. Thanks :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 222
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
0Lucky0 wrote:

KarishmaB, If possible. Thanks :)

Check out this blog post first: https://anglesandarguments.com/blog-details/288

"counted twice" means that the elements in this region belong to two sets.
In my diagram, the elements in the green region d belong to both Set A and Set B.
Similarly, elements in the region e belong to both Set B and Set C.
Elements in the region f belong to both Set A and Set C.

That is why elements in regions d, e and f are counted twice, because they are counted in both sets to which they belong.

Thanks, It makes sense now. :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92875 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts