GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Mar 2019, 09:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

There are 26 students who have read a total of 56 books amon

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
There are 26 students who have read a total of 56 books amon  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2008, 02:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

40% (01:35) correct 60% (01:41) wrong based on 56 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Tere are 26 students who have read a total of 56 books among them. The only books they have read, though, are Aye, Bee, Cod, and Dee. If 10 students have only
read Aye, and 8 students have read only Cod and Dee, what is the smallest number of books any of the remaining students could have read?

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Magoosh Co-Founder
Schools: UC Berkeley (Haas) - Class of 2010
Re: Overlapping sets  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2011, 14:51
One note, we should be careful about wording. I found the original question and it differs slightly from the question posted.

The question posted states "only 10 students have read A"
This implies that no one else read A except for those 10 students. And it also implies that those 10 students may have read other books.

The question source actually states "10 students have only read A", which means that 10 students read book A and nothing else, and others may have also read A.
@shinbhu has worked through the problem well. I'll outline a similar approach walking through how I think about the question:

1. We start with 56 books and 26 students. Each student can read up to 4 books: A, B, C, and D.
2.. 10 students only read A. That's 10 students and 10 books. Now we have 46 books and 16 students
3. 8 students read only C and D. That's 8 more students and 16 more books. Now we have 30 books and 8 student remaining.
4. Each of the remaining students can read at most 4 books. But all 8 cannot read 4 books, because that would be 32 books and we only have 30 left. So 7 could read 4 books, and that's 28 books. We still have 1 student and 2 books left. So the minimum number of books a student could read is 2.

I hope that helps!

Bhavin Parikh
Magoosh Test Prep

General Discussion
VP
VP
Re: PS: Smallest Number of Books  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2008, 03:00
Is it 2?

Since, 18 students have already read a total of 26 books. Thus, remaining 8 students would read the remaining 30 books.

Now, a student can read a maximum of four books. Thus, if seven students read four books each then the eighth student will need to read two books.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2008, 07:44
How it comes total 26 books ?

Have you people consider 8 for C and 8 for D , and 10 for A (10 +8 +8= 26?)

what does "8 students have read only Cod and Dee" mean?

I think we need to take 8 as combine value for Cod and Dee, why we need to take 8 for c and 8 for D

Thanks
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2008, 09:36
vr4indian wrote:
How it comes total 26 books ?

Have you people consider 8 for C and 8 for D , and 10 for A (10 +8 +8= 26?)

I think we need to take 8 as combine value for Cod and Dee, why we need to take 8 for c and 8 for D

Thanks

This means 8 students have read 16 books.

10 students have read only Aye

This means 10 students read 10 books

18 students read 26 books together

8 students are left with 30 books.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
There are 26 students who have read a total of 56 books..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2010, 07:41
There are 26 students who have read a total of 56 books among them. The only books they have read, though, are Aye, Bee, Cod, and Dee. If 10 students have only read Aye,
and 8 students have read only Cod and Dee, what is the smallest number of books any of the remaining students could have read?

Spoiler: :: Answer
Ans: 2
Explanation:
According to the problem, 10 students have read only 1 book: Aye, and 8 students have read 2 books: Cod and Dee. This accounts for 18 students, who have read a total of 26 books among them. Therefore, there are 8 students left to whom we can assign books, and there are 30 books left to assign. We can assume that one of these 8 students will have read the smallest possible number if the other 7 have read the maximum number: all 4 books. If 7 students have read 4 books each, this accounts for
another 28 books, leaving only 2 for the eighth student to have read. Note that it is impossible for the eighth student to have read only one book. If we assign one of the students to have read only I book, this leaves 29 books for 7 students. This is slightly more than 4 books per students. However, we know that there are only four books available; it is therefore impossible for one student to have read more than four books.

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

CEO
CEO
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: There are 26 students who have read a total of 56 books..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2010, 09:57
1. initially: 26 students - 56 books
2. 10 students read only one book. Other students: 16 students - 46 books
3. 8 students read 2 books. Other students: 8 students - 30 books.
4. If reminding 8 students read 4 books each, it would be 32 books in total. So, we need to take 2 books from one of students and 2 remains.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | Limited GMAT/GRE Math tutoring in Chicago

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2010, 19:04
2 books

Students | Books
----------------------------------
10 | 10
8 | 16
==================================
18 | 26

Remaining 8 Students, 30 books
Smallest by 1 person = 7x4 + 1x2
So, 2 books
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2011, 12:26
I am not too convinced with the explanation; why can't 1 person read 23 of the 30 remaining books and let the rest 7 read 7 different books, 1 each. In that case; the smallest number of books that any of the remaining students reads is going to be 1. And that 1 is just not read by one person; but 7. There are no mandates that a student must read different books. Am I misinterpreting something?

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

SVP
SVP
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740
Re: 700 level question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2011, 23:42
If 10 students have read only Aye, and 8 have read only Cod and Dee, the 8 remaining students must:
(1) Have read at least Bee
(2) Read 30 books among themselves (because of the 56 books, the other 18 students have already read 26)

Of the 8 students, 7 can read a maximum of 28 books (i.e. each of the 7 students reads all of Aye, Bee, Cod, and Dee)
Therefore the last student may read a minimum of 2 books.

The answer is (A)

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2011, 12:22
i got 2 after rereading the question. I only 8 once for c and d and not 16. not a bad question just a little tricky on the wording
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2011, 17:02
fluke wrote:
I am not too convinced with the explanation; why can't 1 person read 23 of the 30 remaining books and let the rest 7 read 7 different books, 1 each. In that case; the smallest number of books that any of the remaining students reads is going to be 1. And that 1 is just not read by one person; but 7. There are no mandates that a student must read different books. Am I misinterpreting something?

Kind of a confusing question this one, i see your point but I believe that the only books available are Aye, Bee, Cod and Dee. Therefore in order to execute your idea a student would have to repeat the same book several times,... at least this I what I understand from this question... veeery ambiguous I must say.
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge
There are 26 students who have read a total of 56 books amon  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2011, 08:41
There are 26 students who have read a total of 56 books among them. The only books they have read are A,B,C,D.If only 10 students have read A and 8 students have read only C and D ,what is the smallest number of books any of the remaining students could have read ?

A. 2
B. 4
C. 12
D. 10
E. 5
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2011, 16:21
Let break this down step-by-step, Let B = books, S = students

Begin: B = 56, S = 26
10 students read only A, B = 46, S = 16
8 students read C+D, B = 46 - (8x2) = 30, S = 16 - 8 = 8

30 books, 8 students. Lets have the least read person be 8th
What is the closest multiple to 30 for the remaining 7 students - 7 x 4 = 28. That is 7 students read 4 books each on average.
So, 8th read 30-28 = 2, which is the least.

I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
Please consider giving +1 Kudos if deserved!

DS - If negative answer only, still sufficient. No need to find exact solution.
PS - Always look at the answers first
CR - Read the question stem first, hunt for conclusion
SC - Meaning first, Grammar second
RC - Mentally connect paragraphs as you proceed. Short = 2min, Long = 3-4 min

Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2011, 05:25
bhavinp wrote:
One note, we should be careful about wording. I found the original question and it differs slightly from the question posted.

The question posted states "only 10 students have read A"
This implies that no one else read A except for those 10 students. And it also implies that those 10 students may have read other books.

The question source actually states "10 students have only read A", which means that 10 students read book A and nothing else, and others may have also read A.
@shinbhu has worked through the problem well. I'll outline a similar approach walking through how I think about the question:

1. We start with 56 books and 26 students. Each student can read up to 4 books: A, B, C, and D.
2.. 10 students only read A. That's 10 students and 10 books. Now we have 46 books and 16 students
3. 8 students read only C and D. That's 8 more students and 16 more books. Now we have 30 books and 8 student remaining.
4. Each of the remaining students can read at most 4 books. But all 8 cannot read 4 books, because that would be 32 books and we only have 30 left. So 7 could read 4 books, and that's 28 books. We still have 1 student and 2 books left. So the minimum number of books a student could read is 2.

I hope that helps!

I must have misread the question and posted with the same understanding.
Thanks for the explanation.
Magoosh Co-Founder
Schools: UC Berkeley (Haas) - Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2011, 12:32
No problem! Glad I could help.

Bhavin Parikh
Magoosh Test Prep

Non-Human User
Premium Member
Re: There are 26 students who have read a total of 56 books amon  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2019, 00:43
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: There are 26 students who have read a total of 56 books amon   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2019, 00:43

There are 26 students who have read a total of 56 books amon

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap