Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1629 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Re: There are 6 letters and 6 self addressed envelopes. What is the probab [#permalink]
Kudos
The answer is 53/144.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1629 [0]
Send PM
Re: There are 6 letters and 6 self addressed envelopes. What is the probab [#permalink]
I myself do not know whether I am right. Your answer seems to be too large, close to 1. But we deal with an exceptional case--the probability should be small.

I base my solution on the assumption that each letter has 5 chances to take a wrong envelope and the only chance to take a right one.

BTW, the probability that all the letters will be placed correctly is 1/6!
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 468 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Haas, MFE; Anderson, MBA; USC, MSEE
Send PM
sanjaymishra wrote:
There are 6 letters and 6 self addressed envelopes.What is the probability that none is correctly placed.

I believe the answer is 265/720 = 53/144.

Originally posted by AkamaiBrah on 30 Jul 2003, 06:19.
Last edited by AkamaiBrah on 30 Jul 2003, 06:47, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AkamaiBrah wrote:
sanjaymishra wrote:
There are 6 letters and 6 self addressed envelopes.What is the probability that none is correctly placed.

Consider this:

Akamai,

Please elaborate on your answer
GMAT Instructor
Send PM
prashant wrote:
AkamaiBrah wrote:
sanjaymishra wrote:

Consider this:

Akamai,

Solution:

First of all, IMO, although this problem looks basic, in reality this problem is WAY WAY WAY too difficult for the GMAT and will stump even graduate math students (it took me about 30 minutes).

We are looking for the solution of G(6) where G(n) = number of ways n items can be permuted such that they none of them match their original position. This is the same as having a deck of n cards numbered from 1 to n, then counting the ways you can shuffle the deck without any cards matching its position.

Consider this: it is obvious that when n = 1, G(n) must be ZERO, and when n = 2, G(n) = 1 (i.e., {2,1}), and when n = 3, G(n) = 2 (i.e., {2,3,1},{3,1,2}). By drawing out a probability tree, you will discover that G(4) = 9, and with a LOT of work and patience, G(5) = 44.

If you carefully watch how the tree is growing, you may notice that the results of G(n) refer back to the results of G(n-1) and G(n-2). With a little bit of work, we can see that a general recursive formula for G(n) is:

G(n) = (n-1)*(G(n-1)+G(n-2)) where n > 1 and G(1) = 0 and G(2) = 1.

If you build a table, then G(6) comes out to 5*(44 + 9) = 265. Since there are 6! or 720 ways to stuff the envelopes, the probabiltiy of getting them all wrong is 265/720 = 53/144.

(if you don't believe me, run a simulation).

Originally posted by AkamaiBrah on 30 Jul 2003, 06:59.
Last edited by AkamaiBrah on 30 Jul 2003, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sanjaymishra wrote:
The answer is 53/144.

Sanjay

How did you get your answer?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Send PM
AkamaiBrah wrote:
prashant wrote:
AkamaiBrah wrote:
sanjaymishra wrote:

Consider this:

Akamai,

Solution:

First of all, IMO, although this problem looks basic, in reality this problem is WAY WAY WAY too difficult for the GMAT and will stump even graduate math students (it took me about 30 minutes).

We are looking for the solution of G(6) where G(n) = number of ways n items can be permuted such that they none of them match their original position. This is the same as having a deck of n cards numbered from 1 to n, then counting the ways you can shuffle the deck without any cards matching its position.

Consider this: it is obvious that when n = 1, G(n) must be ZERO, and when n = 2, G(n) = 1 (i.e., {2,1}), and when n = 3, G(n) = 2 (i.e., {2,3,1},{3,1,2}). By drawing out a probability tree, you will discover that G(4) = 9, and with a LOT of work and patience, G(5) = 44.

If you carefully watch how the tree is growing, you may notice that the results of G(n) refer back to the results of G(n-1) and G(n-2). With a little bit of work, we can see that a general recursive formula for G(n) is:

G(n) = (n-1)*(G(n-1)+G(n-2)) where n > 1 and G(1) = 0 and G(2) = 1.

If you build a table, then G(6) comes out to 5*(44 + 9) = 265. Since there are 6! or 720 ways to stuff the envelopes, the probabiltiy of getting them all wrong is 265/720 = 53/144.

(if you don't believe me, run a simulation).

One of the most interesting problem i have come across!!!

Bravo!!!! Akamai!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
AkamaiBrah

Can you please explain it more elaborately.

I saw a similar question: An inefficient secretary places n different letters into n differently addressed envelopes at random.Find the probability that atleast one of the letters will arrive at the proper destination.
P=C(n,1)1/n-C(n,2)1/n*1/n-1 .......(-1)^n-1*C(n,n)*1/n!
=1-1/2!+1/3!..... +(-1)^n-1*1/n!

Sanjay
GMAT Instructor
Send PM
sanjaymishra wrote:
AkamaiBrah

Can you please explain it more elaborately.

I saw a similar question: An inefficient secretary places n different letters into n differently addressed envelopes at random.Find the probability that atleast one of the letters will arrive at the proper destination.
P=C(n,1)1/n-C(n,2)1/n*1/n-1 .......(-1)^n-1*C(n,n)*1/n!
=1-1/2!+1/3!..... +(-1)^n-1*1/n!

Sanjay

I don't have time to derive the result you got, but if you plug in the numbers, it is consistent with my solution for any n. (The solution for this problem is 1 minus the probability for the original problem).

While this is an interesting problem, it is not a GMAT problem, nor does it yield any insights to help with GMAT problems, so I will leave it at this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
HI Prashant,
You are getting 637/720 since you are counting repeated combinations.
Here goes the solution
6 cards need to be placed in 6 envelops such that not even one card is in the right envelop.
Let us assume that atleast one card is in the right envelop.
Number of ways in which atleast one card is placed in the right envelop is
6C1 * (6-1)! ways.
[We select one card and place it in its right envelop and arrange the rest of the 5 cards in the remaining 5 envelops.]
This should be subtracted from 6!
However in the above cases where atleast one card is placed in the right envelop, the cases where exactly two cards are placed in the right envelop are counted twice.
Since we cannot find the number of cases where exactly two cards are placed in the correct envelops, we add back the cases where atleast 2 cards are placed in the right envelops which is
6C2 (6-2)!
While adding the above cases, all the cases where exactly 3 cards are placed in the right envelops are also added back which should be subtracted. Thus we see a pattern of subtractions and additions .
Thus the number of ways is
6!-6C1(5!)+6C2(4!)-6C3(3!)+6C4(2!)+6C5(1!)+6C6(0!)= 256 ways.
Thus the probability that none of them are in the correct envelops is 256/720 ways.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts