Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:42 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [32]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [13]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1111 [3]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
Re: Overlapping sets [#permalink]
Kudos
since 6 people have visited 2 stores,the total of visiting of this ppl is 6*2=12
20-12=8 (the rest of visits) 10ppl-6 ppl=4 ppl

since at least 1 store is visited by each of ppl, and since to maximize one option we need to minimize the other ones , then 1+1+1 +x=8
x=5
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 177
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
Send PM
Re: There are 6 stores in town that had a total of 20 visitors [#permalink]
1 Person ---> 1 store = 1 visit. (as the question says that some people visited more than 1 store, meaning that there was at least 1 person who visited 1 store)
6 People ---> 2 store = 12 visit.
Remaining 3 People, to maximize the number of store visited by an individual, we minimize the store visited by other 2.
So,
2 people ---> 1 store = 2 visit.
Total visit remaining = 20 -1-12-2 = 5 visit. (which is done by the last person). Hope it helps.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1392 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ruturaj wrote:
There are 6 stores in town that had a total of 20 visitors on a particular day. However, only 10 people went shopping that day; some people visited more than one store. If 6 people visited exactly two stores each, and everyone visited at least one store, what is the largest number of stores anyone could have visited?

A. 6
B. 8
C. 5
D. 9
E. 2

Given:
Total visits = 20
Total people = 10

6 people visited 2 stores.
Hence total visits accounter for = 6*2 = 12

Now, we are left with 8 visits and 4 people.
To maximize the visits by one person, we need to minimize by others.

So, 3 persons visit 1 store each
Left visits = 5, Left persons = 1
Hence the maximum number of visits = 5

Option C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 996
Send PM
Though i understand and agree with the reasoning above, please can anyone let me know where did i go wrong with the below approach:

10 people went shopping, out of which 6 visited two stores each. Therefore, the number of visits=10+6=16. Since the total number of visits are 20, 4 additional visits are to be undertaken. Also, since each one has already visited minimum one store and because the number of visits has to be maximised, if one of the six guys who has already visited two stores each visits the remaining four stores, he would have visited 6 stores?

Thanks.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
WilDThiNg wrote:
Though i understand and agree with the reasoning above, please can anyone let me know where did i go wrong with the below approach:

10 people went shopping, out of which 6 visited two stores each. Therefore, the number of visits=10+6=16. Since the total number of visits are 20, 4 additional visits are to be undertaken. Also, since each one has already visited minimum one store and because the number of visits has to be maximised, if one of the six guys who has already visited two stores each visits the remaining four stores, he would have visited 6 stores?

Thanks.

The error is highlighted above. We are given that those 6 people visit EXACTLY two stores, so for the remaining stores, we need to choose a person other than these 6.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1562 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
ruturaj wrote:
There are 6 stores in town that had a total of 20 visitors on a particular day. However, only 10 people went shopping that day; some people visited more than one store. If 6 people visited exactly two stores each, and everyone visited at least one store, what is the largest number of stores anyone could have visited?

A. 6
B. 8
C. 5
D. 9
E. 2

total visits = 20 , number of people = 10 let the people be. restriction criteria is 6 visitors has exactly 2 visits and each individual visited at least 1

people .......A:B:C:D:E:F:G:H:I:J
Visits 2:2:2:2:2:2:1:1:1:1
thus we have 4 visits left after satisfying the restrictive criteria above and only visitors G,H,I,J can make those extra visit because A,B,C,D,E,,F are restricted to 2 each.

thus any of visitors G.H.I.J can make the remaining 4 visits to total 5 visits

C
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Expert Reply
ruturaj wrote:

A. 6
B. 8
C. 5
D. 9
E. 2

1. There are 20 visits by 10 people.
2. 6 people made exactly 2 visits i.,e a total of 12 visits
3. There are 4 people who made the remaining 8 visits.
4. Since we want to find the maximum possible visits by one person, we minimize the visits of the other 3 which has to be 3 visits , of 1 each
5. So the maximum number of visits possible is 8-3=5
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22040 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
ruturaj wrote:

A. 6
B. 8
C. 5
D. 9
E. 2

We must recognize that when the problem says there are 20 visitors, it doesn’t mean there are 20 people (since it later says there are only 10 people). It really means, if a person visited one store, then he or she is considered as one visitor. However, if that person visited two stores, then he or she is considered as two visitors since each of the two stores he or she visited will consider him or her as one visitor. Similarly, if he or she visited three stores, then he or she is considered as three visitors and so on.

Since 6 people visited exactly two stores each, then they are considered to be 12 visitors. Thus we have 20 - 12 = 8 visitors left for the remaining 10 - 6 = 4 people. In order to maximize the number of stores visited for one person, we must minimize the number of stores visited for the other 3 individuals. Thus, if those 3 people each visited exactly 1 store, then they are considered to be 3 visitors. Thus, we have 8 - 3 = 5 visitors left for the last person, which means he or she must have visited 5 stores.

Answer: C
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92881 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts