GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 07:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

03:00 PM EST

04:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

There are a few acts of nature, such as a total solar

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Human Resources
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Re: There are a few acts of nature, such as a total solar  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 06:04
Thought Option B is correct.
Reason justified as follows:
There are a few acts of nature, such as a total solar eclipse or a dormant volcano exploding, that are so rare and so dramatic as to seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience itself.
Error identification:
a)Compare Parallel entities: total solar eclipse (TSE) with noun : exploding dormant volcano.
Using dormant volcano exploding is incorrect.
POE:
A) a dormant volcano exploding, that are so rare and so dramatic as to seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience itself----Reason stated above

B) an explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and dramatic enough that they seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience themselves???We should have used exploding dormant volcano, still the noun entity TSE is compared with explosion. SV pair acts and are is correct

C) the explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and so dramatic that it seems like a metaphor for the virtue of patience itself???Using pronoun it is incorrect as noun is plural acts of nature

D) the explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and dramatic enough as to seem like a metaphor for the virtue of patience themselves???Using as to seem to be incorrect.

E) a dormant volcano exploding, that are so rare and so dramatic that they seem to be a metaphor for the virtue of patience themselves???same as A.
Experts, Pl clarify.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2018, 04:55
NeverSurrender wrote:
There are a few acts of nature, such as a total solar eclipse or a dormant volcano exploding, that are so rare and so dramatic as to seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience itself.

A) a dormant volcano exploding, that are so rare and so dramatic as to seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience itself
B) an explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and dramatic enough that they seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience themselves
C) the explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and so dramatic that it seems like a metaphor for the virtue of patience itself
D) the explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and dramatic enough as to seem like a metaphor for the virtue of patience themselves
E) a dormant volcano exploding, that are so rare and so dramatic that they seem to be a metaphor for the virtue of patience themselves

VeritasPrepBrian

Thoughts on this?

(B) seems correct to me. but OA is (A).

(A) seems more wordy.
Veritas Prep and Orion Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2018, 09:33
Top Contributor
ParthSanghavi wrote:
NeverSurrender wrote:

A) a dormant volcano exploding, that are so rare and so dramatic as to seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience itself
B) an explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and dramatic enough that they seem like metaphors for the virtue of patience themselves
C) the explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and so dramatic that it seems like a metaphor for the virtue of patience itself
D) the explosion of a dormant volcano, that are so rare and dramatic enough as to seem like a metaphor for the virtue of patience themselves
E) a dormant volcano exploding, that are so rare and so dramatic that they seem to be a metaphor for the virtue of patience themselves

VeritasPrepBrian

Thoughts on this?

(B) seems correct to me. but OA is (A).

(A) seems more wordy.

Good question - and even thought it shows up in solutions and forum threads, I'd always try to find a better reason to eliminate an answer than "it's wordy." Otherwise the whole game would just be pick the shortest answer, which of course is way too easy. So while it's not bad strategy to say that if you're between two answers and don't see any other actionable differences then pick the shorter one, make sure you heed that caveat "if there are no other actionable differences."

Here note that you have a couple indications that they're testing singular vs. plural. The last word of each answer choice gives you a choice between "itself" (singular) and "themselves" (plural) and in between you have "it seems like" vs. "they seem like" and "metaphor" vs. "metaphors." This is in large part a singular/plural question. And you know that numerical agreement (with subject-verb and with pronoun) is something the GMAT frequently tests, so I'd definitely prioritize that kind of decision over wordiness, or "it feels wrong," etc.

So if you're debating A vs. B, note that A uses "itself" and B uses "themselves." The pronoun is referring to "patience" which is singular, so that's why you need A and not B.

Brian

Curriculum Developer, Instructor, and Host of Veritas Prep On Demand

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2018, 11:29
But A has "metaphors" with "as to seem like" and "itself" in the last
Do we need metaphor here or metaphors? Which one is singular?

Posted from my mobile device
Veritas Prep and Orion Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2018, 12:53
Top Contributor
So with "metaphor" vs. "metaphors," recognize that you're dealing with the plural "there are few events," so that calls for the plural "metaphors" - those few events seem like metaphors.

With "itself" vs. "themselves," the key there is recognizing where the emphasis is going. The addition of the reflexive pronoun there is usually to add emphasis to a particular noun. For example:

I delivered the package to John myself --> "myself" is emphasizing that I was the one who delivered the package (when you might think I would have hired FedEx or asked someone else to do it)

I bought a book that was signed by the author herself -->"himself" is emphasizing that it's noteworthy that the author was the one who signed the book

Note that in either case there are multiple nouns that could receive the pronoun treatment, so you have read into the meaning of the sentence to determine which noun is deserving of that extra emphasis. Here "patience" is described as a particular virtue, and it makes sense to highlight that these events are metaphors for a specific virtue. I'd argue it doesn't make much sense to say "themselves" because there aren't really any other options for what could serve as those metaphors (think of the "I delivered the package myself" example...with that there may have been other options for deliverers so it makes a little sense to highlight that it was me. But in this case there really aren't other options). So the meaning dictates that we're emphasizing "patience," a singular virtue, and that's why you'd go with "itself."

Brian

Curriculum Developer, Instructor, and Host of Veritas Prep On Demand

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

GMAT Club Bot
Re: There are a few acts of nature, such as a total solar &nbs [#permalink] 03 Dec 2018, 12:53

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

There are a few acts of nature, such as a total solar

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap