Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72884 [4]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
 Q49  V35
GPA: 8.03
Send PM
Re: There are a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to get together [#permalink]
Push wrote:
There are a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to get together on the weekends and help less fortunate children.
The right answer is D:
"There is a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to get together on the weekends and help less fortunate children."

A - The are a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to get together on the weekends and help less fortunate children
B- Getting together on the weekends are a group of kids which like helping less fortunate children
C-A group of kids on the weekend getting together in our neighborhood like the helping of less fortunate children
D- There is a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to get together on the weekends and help less fortunate children
E-In our neighborhood, there is a group of kids who likes to get together on the weekends and helping less fortunate children.

Hi guys,
I will clarify my question:

GMAT Ultimate grammar book by the GMAT Club, First Edition, p.101, question 49.

My question: I do not understand in answer D why "like" is plural while "is" is singular. Don't they both refer to the collective noun "group" (and therefore be both singular)?

Thanks for your help.

"Is" refers to "Group" (collective noun) hence singular.

"Like" refers to "kids" (plural) hence plural.

Not sure whether it helps you. Just try to figure out the subject of the verb and am sure you will get the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Send PM
Re: There are a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to get together [#permalink]
D is correct as Group should use "is"(singular due to collective noun-group)."kids" is plural hence "like" should be used.

B- Getting together on the weekends are a group of kids which like helping less fortunate children-Incorrect due to are a group of kids.
C- A group of kids on the weekend getting together in our neighborhood like the helping of less fortunate children-Incorrect and awkward
E-In our neighborhood, there is a group of kids who likes to get together on the weekends and helping less fortunate children.- Incorrect due to Likes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Schools: Cambridge
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.9
WE:Accounting (Education)
Send PM
I guess D is the correct answer. I fell for A
D- There is a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to get together on the weekends and help less fortunate children

Group is singular
Children are plural
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 190
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: There are a group of kids in our neighborhood [#permalink]
sagarag wrote:
There are a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to get together on the weekends and help less fortunate children

a) There are a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to get together on the weekends and help
b) Getting together on the weekends are a group of kids which like helping
c) A group of kids on the weekend getting together in our neighborhood like the helping of
d) There is a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to get together on the weekends and help
e) In our neighborhood, there is a group of kids who likes to get together on the weekends and helping

Kudos if you like the post

Hi experts,

This question hasn't got any explanation yet. Could you please help?

I crossed out A, B, C because I think "group" is a collective noun and should go with a singular verb. However, the answer is B.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
There are a group of kids in our neighborhood [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
kimrani wrote:
sagarag wrote:
There are a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to get together on the weekends and help less fortunate children

a) There are a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to get together on the weekends and help
b) Getting together on the weekends are a group of kids which like helping
c) A group of kids on the weekend getting together in our neighborhood like the helping of
d) There is a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to get together on the weekends and help
e) In our neighborhood, there is a group of kids who likes to get together on the weekends and helping

Kudos if you like the post

Hi experts,

This question hasn't got any explanation yet. Could you please help?

I crossed out A, B, C because I think "group" is a collective noun and should go with a singular verb. However, the answer is B.

Quite a few mistakes in B:
1. As you pointed out, the verb "are getting" does not agree with the subject "group"..
2. The relative pronoun "which" refers to inanimate objects and hence cannot refer to kids - the correct relative pronoun should be "who" referring to kids. (The verb "like" is alright.)
3. The subject-verb flip is unnececssary, making the sentence awkward.
4. Present continuous tense "are getting" is wrong. If the gathering occurs every weekend, the correct tense should be simple present.

Option D is the correct answer - updated OA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Schools: IIMC MBAEx'23
Send PM
bb wrote:
A few ideas:

"IS" modifies the "Group" and "WHO LIKE" modifies the "KIDS".
You can't really say "Group who likes to get together". A group can't get together and probably would be "that" or "which" instead of "who"

Dear Sir,

Thanks for the ideas.
1. In this case, kindly suggest if we can answer only by first going to verbs and then identifying their subject respectively?
2. Answer D. There is a group of kids in our neighborhood who like to get together on the weekends and help less fortunate children.
The answer doesn't make sense since who is refering to "group of kids and not kids". Questions like this are really confusing.

Kindly suggest.

Thanks in advance.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts