GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 27 May 2018, 21:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There are far fewer children available for adoption than

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: There are far fewer children available for adoption than [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2011, 18:48
neha2785 wrote:
Argument is that number of children available for adoption is less then number of parent trying to adopt
E is irrelevant and so is D
A state’s growth in parent
B is irrelevant to argument
SO C is remaining and it states that children ready for adoption and adopted cild rate is more or less same, which mean only few children were deemed as not fit for adoption, thus proving the argument

Option A does not state growth in parents but the "growth in waiting parents". Waiting increases only when demand is more than supply.
Option C can be inferred as demand is nearly equal to supply.

To me, option C is not stronger than option A. I believe wordings in the choices need to be modified to eradicate ambiguity.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2012, 16:28
The below is the conclusion"

"There are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who want to adopt.

Answer C is saying

" The number of adoptions in a year is approximately equal to the number of children available for adoption in that period"

Isnt this restating the conclusion in another way

Is that fine for strengthen questions? I thought we have to look for a new information always.

please let me know

Thanks
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2012, 00:56
raviram80 wrote:
The below is the conclusion"

"There are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who want to adopt.

Answer C is saying

" The number of adoptions in a year is approximately equal to the number of children available for adoption in that period"

Isnt this restating the conclusion in another way

Is that fine for strengthen questions? I thought we have to look for a new information always.

please let me know

Thanks

Its not restating the conclusion.

"The number of adoptions in a year is approximately equal to the number of children available for adoption in that period"
This doesn't mean that there are fewer children for adoption. Say there are 1 lac adoption previous year therefore there will be 1 lac adoption this year also. So we can't really say there are fewer children for adoption.

Correct me if i am wrong.

--shadab
Gmat FlashCard For Anki

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2012, 01:31
C goes the best.

claim: there are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who want to adopt

C suggests demand =supply
hence in 82, 50000 people demanded and 50000 were available
now 2 millions are waiting that means there is no supply against this demand hence this strengthens the claim.

hope this helps..!!

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2012, 17:09
C is better than A (because of other reasons like difficult process and policies )
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2013, 16:28
For me A is much better option than C. It clearly states "The number of couples waiting to adopt has increased significantly" It explicitly says waiting to adopt has increased -- strengthening authors claims that there are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who want to adopt.

Now look at C it says "The number of adoptions in a year is approximately equal to the number of children available for adoption in that period." so what? There are 10 children available and 10 got adopted. Also, notice there is word approximately used in the choice C. it could be 9 available and 10 parents or vice-versa i.e. 10 children and 9 parents want to adopt.Not conclusive enough.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2014, 11:43
IMO c. why ? because we are trying to strengthened the authors claim. It can be done by supporting the assumption that adoption = Children available. The argument doesn't specify number of children available, it just tells us about the adoption number.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Boston U '19 (D)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2014, 03:47
There are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who want to adopt. Two million couples are currently waiting to adopt, but in 1982, the last year for which figures exist, there were only some 50,000 adoptions.

Which of the following statements, if true, most strengthens the author’s claim that there are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who want to adopt?

(A) The number of couples waiting to adopt has increased significantly in the last decade - No effect on conclusion
(B) The number of adoptions in the current year is greater than the number of adoptions in any preceding year - No bearing

(C) The number of adoptions in a year is approximately equal to the number of children available for adoption in that period - Correct
(D) People who seek to adopt children often go through a long process of interviews and investigation by adoption agencies - OFS
(E) People who seek to adopt children generally make very good parents - OFS

Kudos please

Hard-work, Perseverance and Commitment.....

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2015, 07:51
Zatarra wrote:
There are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who want to adopt. Two million couples are currently waiting to adopt, but in 1982, the last year for which figures exist, there were only some 50,000 adoptions.
Which of the following statements, if true, most strengthens the author’s claim that there are far fewer children available for adoption than there are people who want to adopt?
(A) The number of couples waiting to adopt has increased significantly in the last decade.
(B) The number of adoptions in the current year is greater than the number of adoptions in any preceding year.
(C) The number of adoptions in a year is approximately equal to the number of children available for adoption in that period.
(D) People who seek to adopt children often go through a long process of interviews and investigation by adoption agencies.
(E) People who seek to adopt children generally make very good parents.
This posts invites Discussions not answers
Sorce:Mister Eko

C.

The number of adoptions in a year is approximately equal to the number of children available for adoption in that period.-means children to be adopted are small in no.-fewer children
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
B

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2015, 08:42

(A) The number of couples waiting to adopt has increased significantly in the last decade. There's no mention of the number of children available for adoption
(B) The number of adoptions in the current year is greater than the number of adoptions in any preceding year. There's no mention of the number of children available for adoption in proportion to the number of adults who wish to adopt
(C) The number of adoptions in a year is approximately equal to the number of children available for adoption in that period. If the number of adoptions is limited to the number of children available, this definitely strengthens to the conclusion that there are more people who want to adopt relevant to the number of children available to be adopted.
(D) People who seek to adopt children often go through a long process of interviews and investigation by adoption agencies. The adoption process isn't relevant.
(E) People who seek to adopt children generally make very good parents.The quality of parenting isn't relevant.
Verbal Forum Moderator
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 09:11
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

VP
VP
D
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 02:27

(A) The number of couples waiting to adopt has increased significantly in the last decade. -# of couples might have increased, but we still don't know about the # of children ready to be adopted.
(B) The number of adoptions in the current year is greater than the number of adoptions in any preceding year. -we still don't know about the # of children ready to be adopted.
(C) The number of adoptions in a year is approximately equal to the number of children available for adoption in that period. -Correct. If the last year there were 50,000 adoptions, then there were appx. 50,000 children to be adopted. As per the premise, this option satisfies our criteria.
(D) People who seek to adopt children often go through a long process of interviews and investigation by adoption agencies. -We are not worried about the process.
(E) People who seek to adopt children generally make very good parents. -We are not worried about the quality of parents.

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Re: There are far fewer children available for adoption than   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2017, 02:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 

There are far fewer children available for adoption than

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap