GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Aug 2019, 02:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

There are fewer apartments available for rent in the city

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1732
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
There are fewer apartments available for rent in the city  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 05:50
1
9
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (01:52) correct 48% (01:56) wrong based on 319 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

There are fewer apartments available for rent in the city than there are recent immigrants looking for apartments. This month, over three thousand immigrants are expected to arrive in the city but two months ago, there were only five hundred apartments that were leased.

Which of the following statements, if true, most strengthens the author’s claim that there are fewer apartments available for rent than there are recent immigrants looking for apartments?

A. The immigrant population is rising significantly over the past few years.
B. The number of apartments leased last months is greater than the number of apartments leased two months ago.
C. The number of apartments leased in a month is generally approximately equal to the number of apartments available for lease.
D. The lease contract of a big chunk of houses is supposed to end this month.
E. Immigrants stay long enough in an apartment to continue the lease into the next year, reducing the number of apartments available for rent the next year.

Source - expert global

_________________
Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Jan 2017
Posts: 300
Location: India
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member
There are fewer apartments available for rent in the city  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 06:08
4
aragonn wrote:
There are fewer apartments available for rent in the city than there are recent immigrants looking for apartments. This month, over three thousand immigrants are expected to arrive in the city but two months ago, there were only five hundred apartments that were leased.

Which of the following statements, if true, most strengthens the author’s claim that there are fewer apartments available for rent than there are recent immigrants looking for apartments?

A. The immigrant population is rising significantly over the past few years.
B. The number of apartments leased last months is greater than the number of apartments leased two months ago.
C. The number of apartments leased in a month is generally approximately equal to the number of apartments available for lease.
D. The lease contract of a big chunk of houses is supposed to end this month.
E. Immigrants stay long enough in an apartment to continue the lease into the next year, reducing the number of apartments available for rent the next year.

Source - expert global


IMO answer is C

A. The immigrant population is rising significantly over the past few years.
- Incorrect. This is a generic statement. It doesn't strengthen the argument
B. The number of apartments leased last months is greater than the number of apartments leased two months ago.
- Incorrect. This weakens the argument as it says that the number of apartments is going to increase and it doesn't talk about apartments that can be available.
C. The number of apartments leased in a month is generally approximately equal to the number of apartments available for lease.
- Correct. This tells us that there were 500 leased apartments and no apartments available. Hence number of immigrants are greater
D. The lease contract of a big chunk of houses is supposed to end this month.
- Incorrect. This weakens the argument by telling us that number of apartments available is going to increase.
E. Immigrants stay long enough in an apartment to continue the lease into the next year, reducing the number of apartments available for rent the next year.
- Incorrect. This is irrelevant as it doesn't talk about the required information


Kudos please if you like the explanation.
_________________
Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 21 Jul 2012
Posts: 85
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Re: There are fewer apartments available for rent in the city  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2018, 04:12
Couldn't get the question well.IMO A.Looking for the confident answer.
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1732
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: There are fewer apartments available for rent in the city  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 05:27
1
prashant6923 wrote:
Couldn't get the question well.IMO A.Looking for the confident answer.

A tip from myside -- prashant6923, Even if you are wrong post a wrong reasoning , if some one corrected you, you will learn a lot. You could not get it is evident but what you did wrong? You could not identify the conclusion ? Is something wrong with your approach for such questions ??? you were confused between few options. I bet you this, if you approach your mistakes in this fashion you will learn a lot. You must have a plan for every question type. execute that plan and if wrong then find your fault.
_________________
Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Feb 2019
Posts: 9
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Re: There are fewer apartments available for rent in the city  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2019, 19:42
Akash720 wrote:
aragonn wrote:
There are fewer apartments available for rent in the city than there are recent immigrants looking for apartments. This month, over three thousand immigrants are expected to arrive in the city but two months ago, there were only five hundred apartments that were leased.

Which of the following statements, if true, most strengthens the author’s claim that there are fewer apartments available for rent than there are recent immigrants looking for apartments?

A. The immigrant population is rising significantly over the past few years.
B. The number of apartments leased last months is greater than the number of apartments leased two months ago.
C. The number of apartments leased in a month is generally approximately equal to the number of apartments available for lease.
D. The lease contract of a big chunk of houses is supposed to end this month.
E. Immigrants stay long enough in an apartment to continue the lease into the next year, reducing the number of apartments available for rent the next year.

Source - expert global


IMO answer is C

A. The immigrant population is rising significantly over the past few years.
- Incorrect. This is a generic statement. It doesn't strengthen the argument
B. The number of apartments leased last months is greater than the number of apartments leased two months ago.
- Incorrect. This weakens the argument as it says that the number of apartments is going to increase and it doesn't talk about apartments that can be available.
C. The number of apartments leased in a month is generally approximately equal to the number of apartments available for lease.
- Correct. This tells us that there were 500 leased apartments and no apartments available. Hence number of immigrants are greater
D. The lease contract of a big chunk of houses is supposed to end this month.
- Incorrect. This weakens the argument by telling us that number of apartments available is going to increase.
E. Immigrants stay long enough in an apartment to continue the lease into the next year, reducing the number of apartments available for rent the next year.
- Incorrect. This is irrelevant as it doesn't talk about the required information

IF we go by your logic that no of immigrants is less than the no of homes available for rent, how do you account for the no of houses that might have become available . It might be possible that in the next two months no of house available for rent might be more than 3000 or fewer . But since we dont know can we say this strengths the arguement .


Kudos please if you like the explanation.


Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 May 2019
Posts: 6
Re: There are fewer apartments available for rent in the city  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2019, 23:11
Can someone please explain why C is the correct choice
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Apr 2019
Posts: 31
CAT Tests
Re: There are fewer apartments available for rent in the city  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 09:06
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja @egmat- I am confused between option C and option E
Option C - Doesn't give us how many apartments are available for lease this month?
Option D- Immigrants stay long enough gives us hint that even though there are apartments , they would not be available for lease
Please explain VeritasKarishma
GMAT Club Bot
Re: There are fewer apartments available for rent in the city   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2019, 09:06
Display posts from previous: Sort by

There are fewer apartments available for rent in the city

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne