Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 930 [362]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [126]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [78]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
tennis1ball wrote:
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.

(A) generated through wind power now than it was

(B) generated through wind power now as it was

(C) generated through wind power now as was the case

(D) now generated through wind power as it was

(E) now generated through wind power than was the case.

Concepts tested here: Pronouns + Idioms

• “as much A as B” is the correct, idiomatic construction; A and B must be parallel.

A: This answer choice suffers from pronoun ambiguity, as the pronoun "it" lacks a clear and logical referent. Further, Option A incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "as much A ("energy is generated through wind power now") than B ("it was in 1990"); remember, “as much A as B” is the correct, idiomatic construction; A and B must be parallel.

B: This answer choice suffers from pronoun ambiguity, as the pronoun "it" lacks a clear and logical referent.

C: Correct. This answer choice avoids the pronoun error seen in Options A, B, and D, as it uses no pronouns. Further, Option C correctly uses the idiomatic construction "as much A ("energy is generated through wind power now") as B ("was the case in 1990").

D: This answer choice suffers from pronoun ambiguity, as the pronoun "it" lacks a clear and logical referent.

E: This answer choice incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "as much A ("energy is now generated through wind power") than B ("was the case in 1990"); remember, “as much A as B” is the correct, idiomatic construction; A and B must be parallel.

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [5]
Send PM
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.

A.) generated through wind power now than it was

B). generated through wind power now as it was

C). generated through wind power now as was the case

D). now generated through wind power as it was

E). now generated through wind power than was the case.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 498 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Obviously between B and D....
I think there is no suprise to you :)

I choose D...

Clearly expresses the meaning of a sentence. 10 times as much energy is now generated through wind power as it was generated some time ago....

The other option B, has a different meaning.... 10 times as much energy generated through wind power....meaning the use of wind power has not necessarily increased....

A very good SC....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990

A) generated through wind power now than it was
B) generated through wind power now as it was
C) generated through wind power now as was the case
D) now generated through wind power as it was
E) now generated through wind power than was the case

My Answer : E
Manager
Manager
Status:Post MBA, working in the area of Development Finance
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
For the comparison, "than' has to be there. So, only A and E remain.
I feel A should be the ans.
The change of placement of 'now' changes in the meaning in E - emphasis seems to shift from comparison between period to the source of energy.
Though 'it' needs to be watched carefully, it seems to be correctly referring in A.
What is the OA?
Vict0R wrote:
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990

My Answer : E
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
quit123 wrote:
54. There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fosil fuels; more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.

A. generated through wind power now than it was
B. generated through wind power now as it was
C. generated through wind power now as was the case
D. now generated through wind power as it was
E. now generated through wind power than was the case

idiom: as much ..as
D,E --out

it --> ambiguous..
it can refer to energy/wind power ..
A,B --out

C is perfect and parallel.

ten times as much "energy is generated...." now than as was the case<energy generated .. through wind pwoer.> in 1990
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1484 [10]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Very difficult question, in my opinion. There's obviously a split between as/than, which usually means you go find either "as adjective (as)" or "comparative adjective (than)" to match elsewhere in the sentence. But this sentence has more (already with another than?? Would a than in the choice be redundant?) and ten times as much (do we need another as in the answer to complete this??) And then there's the issue of meaning. If I were to paraphrase, I use more than: Hopeful signs means...more energy generated by wind now than before.

I had to make up a similar sentence to help myself.

(More than) (ten times as many) people are living in urban areas now than were (living in urban areas) in 1900.

The phrases in parentheses ultimately modify people: More people.
The than/10x as many just quantify how much more.

With that complexity removed:
More people are living in urban areas now than were (living in urban areas) in 1900.

We need than in the choice, so we can focus on A and E.

(A) equates to: More people are living in urban areas now than they were in 1900.
(E) equates to: More people are living in urban areas now than was the case in 1900.

Which would you choose?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi esledge,
Indeed a very nice explanation. But the OA is C. Could you please justify?
Thanks
-Amit
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2013
Send PM
amitanand wrote:
Could anyone help me understanding the reasoning used in the following question:

Q: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990

Thanks in advance.

Yikes - tough question. I think this is likely to be a parallelism issue. Answer choices B, C and D makes the sentence parallel as follows:

...more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now as ...

B and D use the phrase 'as it was' - it is unclear what 'it' is referring to in the context of the sentence, so eliminate these choices and go with C.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1484 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Send PM
Kudos