It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 18:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 6

Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2010, 07:12
jn.mohit wrote:
@SaraiGMAXonline

your logic of not using 'it' for comparision when compare one thing to another does not fits here.

Can you please throw some flashlight here ?

404. In the 1980’s the rate of increase of the minority population of the United States was nearly twice as fast as the 1970’s.

(A) twice as fast as
(B) twice as fast as it was in
(C) twice what it was in
(D) two times faster than that of
(E) two times greater than

C is right 'it' is ok as referring to the old copy which was in a different state in the past. Twice is better than two times. Also I feel 'as fast as' is a repetition of rate of increase according to logic.
eg- My tummy has grown bigger to what it was a decade ago. (single objects)
eg- My tummy has grown bigger than that of my neighbor's. (two diff objects)

On the older (the one posted on the top) question, I believe x2suresh makes more sense. 'SaraiGMAXonline' logic is of no use there.
eg- I love the cake as it is brown in color. (right)
eg- I love the topping on the cake as it is brown in color. (wrong: Pronoun ambiguity)

Please comment.

Yogesh Agarwal
yogeshagarwala@gmail.com

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 867 [1], given: 0

Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2010, 10:21
This post received
KUDOS
yogeshagarwala wrote:
jn.mohit wrote:
@SaraiGMAXonline

your logic of not using 'it' for comparision when compare one thing to another does not fits here.

404. In the 1980’s the rate of increase of the minority population of the United States was nearly twice as fast as the 1970’s.

(A) twice as fast as
(C) twice what it was in
(E) two times greater than

C is right 'it' is ok as referring to the old copy which was in a different state in the past. Twice is better than two times. Also I feel 'as fast as' is a repetition of rate of increase according to logic.

On the older (the one posted on the top) question, I believe x2suresh makes more sense. 'SaraiGMAXonline' logic is of no use there.
eg- I love the topping on the cake as it is brown in color. (wrong: Pronoun ambiguity)

Please comment.

Let me see if I can clarify. In the problem above, the rate is indeed compared to itself, and thus, "it" is appropriate. Also, you are right yogeshagarwala, "two times" is never correct on the SC.

As for the "I love cake..." example, that sentence is not a comparison, so the correctness of "it" is a matter of ambiguity, a matter completely separate from the issue of "it" versus "that" in comparisons.

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Kudos [?]: 920 [0], given: 36

Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2010, 23:23
"as fast as" in A and B redundant.

(A) twice as fast as
(C) twice what it was in
(E) two times greater than[/quote]

SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
yogeshagarwala wrote:
jn.mohit wrote:
@SaraiGMAXonline

Please comment.

Let me see if I can clarify. In the problem above, the rate is indeed compared to itself, and thus, "it" is appropriate. Also, you are right yogeshagarwala, "two times" is never correct on the SC.

As for the "I love cake..." example, that sentence is not a comparison, so the correctness of "it" is a matter of ambiguity, a matter completely separate from the issue of "it" versus "that" in comparisons.

Kudos [?]: 920 [0], given: 36

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 13

Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2010, 11:48
the moment we realise that we must use the expression "as X as Y" remaining choices can be eliminated quickly.

A can immediately be ruled out because it uses THAN --- even if we disregard the ambiguity caused by IT.
Choice B uses correct idiom and now we cannot disregard the ambiguity caused by IT.
same problem as in B exists with D as well.
E uses THAN so again it can be eliminated. only choice remaining is C.

quit123 wrote:
54. There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fosil fuels; more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.

A. generated through wind power now than it was
B. generated through wind power now as it was
C. generated through wind power now as was the case
D. now generated through wind power as it was
E. now generated through wind power than was the case

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2010, 03:14
Please comment on the use of 'it'. I believe its an issue with pronoun ambiguity for B and D.

Yogesh Agarwal
yogeshagarwala@gmail.com

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2010, 03:32
Well ..
'it' is a pronoun .. and it can only be used to refer a noun .. now in the meaning of the sentence, it is used to refer energy generated not the energy itself - the focus is on generation of energy in two times. Hence, we should not use 'it'.

Comment ?

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 12

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2010, 04:25
This post received
KUDOS
yogeshagarwala wrote:
Please comment on the use of 'it'. I believe its an issue with pronoun ambiguity for B and D.

To compare something to itself, use "it" or "they".
Ex. The legs of chair A are more wobbly than they were yesterday.

To compare one thing to another, use "that" or "those".
Ex. The legs of chair A are more wobbly than those of chair B.

Thus, in the problem above, using "it" would mean that you are comparing some amount of energy to itself. But we want to compare one amount of energy to another.

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 792 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2010, 09:02
The correct idiom is "as X as Y"
that leaves B, C & D

There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fosil fuels; more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.

A generated through wind power now than it was
B. generated through wind power now as it was - 'it' can refer to 'wind power' or 'energy'
C. generated through wind power now as was the case
D. now generated through wind power as it was - 'it' can refer to 'wind power' or 'energy'
E. now generated through wind power than was the case

Kudos [?]: 792 [0], given: 6

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1500 [1], given: 2

Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2010, 03:17
This post received
KUDOS
as much as: A and E out
Between B, C, and D...33%

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1500 [1], given: 2

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [2], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2010, 07:53
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I think the idiom is As much X as Y

Kudos [?]: 25 [2], given: 7

1 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 966 [1], given: 621

GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2010, 13:31
This post received
KUDOS
Fistail wrote:

I do not have OA. i am bit of confused among B, C and D.

A and E are out of scope cuz "than" is not correct as we need the correct idiom "as much as".
can anybody clearify more?

:evil:
PLEASE UNDERLINED SENTENCE CORRECTION QUESTIONS

OA is C.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 966 [1], given: 621

4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8191 [4], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2010, 00:21
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The real comparison is between the energy produced now and the energy produced in 1990. The expression - ten times as much energy as -is the term used to describe the quantum of energy.

A) more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was
B) more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now as it was
C) more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now as was the case
D) more than ten times as much energy is now generated through wind power as it was
E) more than ten times as much energy is now generated through wind power than was the case

You may see that A and E, use a wrong idiom namely 'as much energy than' and hence can be safely dropped. Among BCD, B and D lose steam because of using the pronoun"it' without a clear referent.

C is therefore the right royal choice.

PS: This post has been edited by me reflecting the points noted by another poster.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Last edited by daagh on 18 Jul 2015, 05:09, edited 3 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 8191 [4], given: 364

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [1], given: 50

Schools: UNC Kenan-Flagler, IU Kelley, Emory GSB
WE 1: 5 yrs
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2010, 02:08
This post received
KUDOS
Fistail wrote:
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990

A) generated through wind power now than it was
B) generated through wind power now as it was
C) generated through wind power now as was the case
D) now generated through wind power as it was
E) now generated through wind power than was the case

There are two idioms coming into play here... 'more than X' and 'X as much as Y'

The second idiom requires an 'as much as' construction so A/E are ruled out.

In B/D, "it" has no logical antecedent...
Ans is C.

The night is at its darkest just before the dawn... never, ever give up!

Kudos [?]: 37 [1], given: 50

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 18

Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2010, 02:27
C sounds the correct answer because of the idiom as much as. Moreover, you have to consider the position of the word "now" in the phrase. When "now" is used in front of the phrase "generated through windpower...", it changes the meaning of the sentence as it implies that the wind power is being generated "right now" as we speak where as the author intended to mean the general sense here.
C correctly uses the position of "now" to preserve the meaning of the sentence.

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 18

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 127 [1], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2010, 00:31
This post received
KUDOS
My Vote is C.
as mentioned above, WOULD YOU KINDLY UNDERLINE ESSENTIAL PART OF QUESTION?????????

Kudos [?]: 127 [1], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2011, 11:25
I think the answer is D
Because I find all the other choice as wordy.

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 29

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 254 [0], given: 21

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2011, 06:45
This post was
BOOKMARKED
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990

target:-810 out of 800!

Kudos [?]: 254 [0], given: 21

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8191 [1], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2011, 07:46
This post received
KUDOS
1.'More than ten times' is just an expression of quantity and not a comparator. The comparator is actually the positive degree ‘as much’. Now when the un-underlined portion contains ‘as much’ for the comparison, then you must idiomatically complete the comparison with another ‘as’. This means, we have to stay put with choices B, C and D, dropping A and E.

2.We must not misconstrue that the pronoun ‘it’ stands for just energy, The pronoun stands for the entire antecedent that goes to describe the energy namely ‘more than ten times as much energy’; Therefore the use of the pronoun ‘it’ doesn’t make much structural sense. We have to drop choices B and D on that count. We must admit C as the most fitting, though a bit unusual to the ears.

Incidentally a colon is no more than a kind of parenthesis. The things that follow the colon must represent the idea that is expressed prior to the colon, in this case ‘hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels;

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8191 [1], given: 364

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Schools: INSEAD, RSM, HEC, St. Gallen, IF, IESE
WE 1: Finance 6 years

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2011, 09:09
AnkitK wrote:

Answer is (C)

Option B is incorrect coz of its use of "it". "it" must refer back to the entire noun phrase i.e. more than ten times as much energy BUT not just energy. Hence incorrect.

In The World Full Of Duplicates,, I Am The Only Masterpiece..
Girl Power
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beat-the-beast-with-non-native-speaker-108349.html

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 71 [1], given: 7

Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2011, 01:08
This post received
KUDOS
correct answer choice should not have 'than' because that is already there in the non-underlined part of the sentence,
more than ten times as much energy
so the idiom which remains here to consider is 'as much as'.

So out of B & C (eliminating D because of wrong placement 'now'), I had chosen B, however if I try to justify official answer, than it would be just because of the GMAT SC thumb rule ' Avoid it because most of the time it creates ambiguity'

daagh wrote:
The real comparison is between the energy produced now and the energy produced in 1990. The expression - than ten times as much energy -is the term used to describe the quantum of energy and does not play a role in the comparison act. Ignoring it temporarily, you get a clear picture of the comparison

A) more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was

B) more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now as it was
C) more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now as was the case
D) more than ten times as much energy is now generated through wind power as it was
E) more than ten times as much energy is now generated through wind power than was the case

You may see that except A and E, others do not use the right combination of idiom- more x than y -
By using the pronoun it, the antecedence of which is not clear, whether it is energy or wind power, A loses steam.

E is therefore the right royal choice.

Kudos [?]: 71 [1], given: 7

Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2011, 01:08

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 70 posts ] 

There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap