It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 18:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jan 2011
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2011, 09:06
There are hopeful signs that shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels:more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.

A. generated through wind power now than it was
B.generated through wind power now than as it was
C.generated through wind power now as was the case
D. now generated through wind power as it was
E.now generated through wind power than was the case

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Posts: 428

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 20

Location: Texas
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2011, 09:22
skspark wrote:
There are hopeful signs that shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels:more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.

A. generated through wind power now than it was
B.generated through wind power now than as it was
C.generated through wind power now as was the case
D. now generated through wind power as it was
E.now generated through wind power than was the case


its C

correct idiom is as X as Y
So A, B, E are out..

out of C and D - 'as much energy is generated now as' - is appropriate compared to
'as much energy is now generate as it was'

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 20

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2011
Posts: 337

Kudos [?]: 1279 [0], given: 18

Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2011, 20:21
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.

(A) generated through wind power now than it was
(B) generated through wind power now as it was
(C) generated through wind power now as was the case
(D) now generated through wind power as it was
(E) now generated through wind power than was the case

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Is anyone who can explain this question?
I don't understand why OA is the answer and what "the case" means.

Last edited by hazelnut on 13 Aug 2017, 07:26, edited 2 times in total.
Underlined the question.

Kudos [?]: 1279 [0], given: 18

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2011
Posts: 141

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 15

Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2011, 22:20
First of all, please underline it properly

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 15

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Status: Flying over the cloud!
Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 889

Kudos [?]: 745 [1], given: 44

Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2011, 04:51
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I remember this question in the past when I faced it in the SC1000. I chose this one because choice B and D, "it" refer to no antecedent. After that, I also found in manhattan forum that contain this problem. Here is the topic discussing about this problem and Ron Purewal's explanation:

Quote:
i could've sworn this problem was in another thread, but the search box won't find it.

there are two splits you should use to narrow down this problem:

(1) the second half of the construction 'ten times as much ... ____' is as, not than. therefore, you can eliminate answers (a) and (e), which contain 'than'. (i'm assuming that (e) is supposed to say 'than', not 'then'; i don't think the gmat problems would that blatant an error)

(2) the pronoun 'it' is inappropriate, because 'it' must refer to the ENTIRETY of the noun phrase serving as an antecedent.
for instance, the following is an improper sentence: last year's attendance was ten thousand greater than it was this year
in the above sentence, the pronoun 'it' must necessarily refer to last year's attendance, not just attendance.
the problem in this post has the same issue: the pronoun 'it' must refer to more than ten times as much energy, not just energy - an interpretation that makes no logical sense. therefore, all answer choices containing the pronoun 'it' are wrong.

if you don't like '...than was the case', you should learn to like it; this is one of those phrases that the gmat writers use to refer to concepts that don't fit under the usage constraints of traditional pronouns. (another popular one of these constructions is 'do so'.)



http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/the ... t3322.html
_________________

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kudos [?]: 745 [1], given: 44

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2011
Posts: 49

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

GMAT Date: 12-15-2011
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2011, 08:51
as...as
was the case correctly used in comparison

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2012
Posts: 74

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 14

Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2012, 12:47
A – “Ten times as much energy … as” is needed. Eliminate
B – IT is ambiguous. Eliminate
C – Keep.
D – misplaced modifier now. Eliminate
E – Eliminate as A

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 14

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10207

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2014, 12:23
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10207

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2014, 12:44
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 266

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 2405

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 5: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 6: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 7: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 8: 730 Q50 V39
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2014, 12:13
Please underline your questions.

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 2405

Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Feb 2013
Posts: 944

Kudos [?]: 1091 [0], given: 548

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2014, 21:53
Fistail wrote:
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990

A) generated through wind power now than it was
B) generated through wind power now as it was
C) generated through wind power now as was the case
D) now generated through wind power as it was
E) now generated through wind power than was the case


Meaning : There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from reliance on fossil fuels.More than ten times as much energy is generated through X as it was generated through wind power in 1990.

There are two idioms tested.
as X as Y and X more than Y.

A) generated through wind power now than it was
as much X as Y -> We require "as"

B) generated through wind power now as it was
-Confused as to why B is wrong

C) generated through wind power now as was the case
- Looks good.

D) now generated through wind power as it was
- couldn't eliminate on solid grounds

E) now generated through wind power than was the case
As much X as Y

Can you please explain what can be the error in B) and D). Why "as it was" is wrong. I think if we ellipse on this.

more than ten times as much energy is generated through Wind power now as it was generated through wind power in 1990 -> Looks correct to me.
_________________

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1091 [0], given: 548

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2385

Kudos [?]: 9446 [4], given: 348

Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2014, 12:02
4
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
6
This post was
BOOKMARKED
kinjiGC wrote:
Fistail wrote:
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990

A) generated through wind power now than it was
B) generated through wind power now as it was
C) generated through wind power now as was the case
D) now generated through wind power as it was
E) now generated through wind power than was the case


Meaning : There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from reliance on fossil fuels.More than ten times as much energy is generated through X as it was generated through wind power in 1990.

There are two idioms tested.
as X as Y and X more than Y.

A) generated through wind power now than it was
as much X as Y -> We require "as"

B) generated through wind power now as it was
-Confused as to why B is wrong

C) generated through wind power now as was the case
- Looks good.

D) now generated through wind power as it was
- couldn't eliminate on solid grounds

E) now generated through wind power than was the case
As much X as Y

Can you please explain what can be the error in B) and D). Why "as it was" is wrong. I think if we ellipse on this.

more than ten times as much energy is generated through Wind power now as it was generated through wind power in 1990 -> Looks correct to me.


Hi kinjiGC,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :-)

So basically why "as it was..." is incorrect in the context of this sentence. It is so because "it" refers to "more than ten times as much energy". It is so because in such constructions, the modifiers related to a referent noun CANNOT be left alone. So in Choices B and D. This obviously does not make sense as this reference leads to illogical comparison.

However, Choice C, this is not the case because "as was the case" refers to generation of energy in 1990.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9446 [4], given: 348

Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Feb 2013
Posts: 944

Kudos [?]: 1091 [0], given: 548

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2014, 21:44
egmat wrote:
kinjiGC wrote:
Fistail wrote:
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990

A) generated through wind power now than it was
B) generated through wind power now as it was
C) generated through wind power now as was the case
D) now generated through wind power as it was
E) now generated through wind power than was the case


Meaning : There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from reliance on fossil fuels.More than ten times as much energy is generated through X as it was generated through wind power in 1990.

There are two idioms tested.
as X as Y and X more than Y.

A) generated through wind power now than it was
as much X as Y -> We require "as"

B) generated through wind power now as it was
-Confused as to why B is wrong

C) generated through wind power now as was the case
- Looks good.

D) now generated through wind power as it was
- couldn't eliminate on solid grounds

E) now generated through wind power than was the case
As much X as Y

Can you please explain what can be the error in B) and D). Why "as it was" is wrong. I think if we ellipse on this.

more than ten times as much energy is generated through Wind power now as it was generated through wind power in 1990 -> Looks correct to me.


Hi kinjiGC,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :-)

So basically why "as it was..." is incorrect in the context of this sentence. It is so because "it" refers to "more than ten times as much energy". It is so because in such constructions, the modifiers related to a referent noun CANNOT be left alone. So in Choices B and D. This obviously does not make sense as this reference leads to illogical comparison.

However, Choice C, this is not the case because "as was the case" refers to generation of energy in 1990.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ


Just to summarize the understanding, "it" should refer to the "complete" subject along with the modifier.

Can I use "that"? Can you please clarify the difference.
_________________

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1091 [0], given: 548

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2385

Kudos [?]: 9446 [0], given: 348

Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2014, 12:21
Expert's post
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
kinjiGC wrote:
Just to summarize the understanding, "it" should refer to the "complete" subject along with the modifier.

Can I use "that"? Can you please clarify the difference.


Hi kinjiGC,

Any pronoun used to refer to a noun will include the associated modifier with it. It just cannot pick up the "noun" and leave alone the modifier. This is applicable for the use of "that" as well.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9446 [0], given: 348

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10207

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2014, 22:52
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10207

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2014, 05:49
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10207

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2014, 11:28
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Feb 2013
Posts: 944

Kudos [?]: 1091 [0], given: 548

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2014, 11:42
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990

it -> pronoun for the subject of the clause
Subject of the clause -> "more than ten times as much energy"
which doesn't make sense.

as much as -> is the idiom

A) generated through wind power now than it was
B) generated through wind power now as it was
C) generated through wind power now as was the case
D) now generated through wind power as it was
E) now generated through wind power than was the case

Hence C)
_________________

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1091 [0], given: 548

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10207

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2015, 22:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Mar 2014
Posts: 237

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 13

Premium Member
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2015, 11:52
Fistail wrote:
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990

A) generated through wind power now than it was
B) generated through wind power now as it was
C) generated through wind power now as was the case
D) now generated through wind power as it was
E) now generated through wind power than was the case


mikemcgarry

could you please clarify what is the issue with option B and D.

Please clarify this. i think it is referring to energy then why these options are wrong.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 13

Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2015, 11:52

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 70 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.