Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:40 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
GRE 1: Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE:Editorial and Writing (Education)
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
GraceSCKao wrote:
Hi AndrewN,

Thanks for your response. :) I did not tag you in my first post as I noticed that in a previous post, you have shared your ideas about the options and how you arrived at the correct option (C). I would adopt your approach in the real test if I run into a question in which I find two options seem ideal at the same time, but since I hoped to know more about whether the use of "it" is legit, I tagged some other experts who have not commented on this question.

I envy your fast answering speed :D and would be happy to know your approach. I am working on the "more...than" structure right now, so I might create the thread later when I move on to the topic. Would be happy if you could give me some insights.

But I could still share some quick thoughts about the questions here. For this question, we have a clear subject "it" in the second half of the comparison structure, but the use of "it" is not correct. What bothers me the most in other three questions is the missed subject in the second half.

1. According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and University Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as charge over $16,000.
-> correct answer with a missed subject
-> If we are to "borrow" a subject from the first half, which part do we borrow? "institutions of higher education" or "three times as many institutions"? The second carries a strange meaning but this is what we get if we apply the "entire subject" concept mentioned by a few experts.

2. According to a study by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, companies in the United States are providing job training and general education for nearly eight million people, about as many as are enrolled in the nation’s four-year colleges and universities.
-> Should we read this version as elliptical: as many as [people] are enrolled in the four-year colleges?

3. Scientists have found signs that moving water changed the chemical makeup of the surface of Mars in recent eras and have therefore concluded that the planet's crust harbors up to three times as much water as previously thought.
-> Again, what is the subject in the second half? Some experts say "scientists" as in "scientists previously thought" while some say an impersonal "it" as in "it was previously thought."

Andrew, I don't really have a mania for grammar, but these elliptical structures have given me a hard time. Sometimes I could use other issues to eliminate options, but sometimes I could not do so. And sometimes I reject a correct answer just because I do not know how it could be right. Hence, I hope to learn more about ellipsis. But I also know that this topic might be more complicated than other SC topics, especially those with clear "rules," and I can always work on other topics even though my doubts on ellipsis remain.....

Hello again, GraceSCKao. As promised, I dedicated a new thread to your multi-question queries. Perhaps it will help you and others. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy relia [#permalink]
Kudos
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990

A) generated through wind power now than it was
B) generated through wind power now as it was
C) generated through wind power now as was the case
D) now generated through wind power as it was
E) now generated through wind power than was the case

My Answer : E
Manager
Manager
Status:Post MBA, working in the area of Development Finance
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
For the comparison, "than' has to be there. So, only A and E remain.
I feel A should be the ans.
The change of placement of 'now' changes in the meaning in E - emphasis seems to shift from comparison between period to the source of energy.
Though 'it' needs to be watched carefully, it seems to be correctly referring in A.
What is the OA?
Vict0R wrote:
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990

My Answer : E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [1]
Given Kudos: 62
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
(A) generated through wind power now than it was it refers to wind energy + correct idiom is As much as

(B) generated through wind power now as it was --- it refers to wind energy

(C) generated through wind power now as was the case

(D) now generated through wind power as it was it refers to wind energy

(E) now generated through wind power than was the case correct idiom is As much as

one tip here:
AS is the case, As was the case - refers to a situation and is correct usage
As with the case - sure shot wrong option
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [1]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Fistail wrote:

Meaning : There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from reliance on fossil fuels.More than ten times as much energy is generated through X as it was generated through wind power in 1990.

There are two idioms tested.
as X as Y and X more than Y.

as much X as Y -> We require "as"

-Confused as to why B is wrong

- Looks good.

- couldn't eliminate on solid grounds

As much X as Y

Can you please explain what can be the error in B) and D). Why "as it was" is wrong. I think if we ellipse on this.

more than ten times as much energy is generated through Wind power now as it was generated through wind power in 1990 -> Looks correct to me.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1392 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.

There are two things that one can look into while solving this question.

1. as much as -> Correct idiom

2. Subject of the clause after the comma -> more than ten times as much energy
So it will refer to the whole subject, hence usage of it is incorrect

C) generated through wind power now as was the case -> Correct

Also if you assign a antecedent to a pronoun then you should be able to replace that pronoun by the noun. The sentence should make sense.

Let's try it..
more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now as energy was generated in 1990...
Does this make sense - NO It does not make sense...
If only we remove the energy the sentence makes complete sense.
But we don't have that option.
The next best option is C.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Status:Having fun Growing Mental Agility & Toughness (GMAT) ^_^
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [1]
Given Kudos: 315
Mantra: "There is a will, there is a way."
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35 (Online)
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V42
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Kudos
Here is a video explanation of this question by the legendary Ron! :)
https://youtu.be/XCioOSv-cWg?t=3644
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Kudos
GraceSCKao wrote:
pk6969 wrote:
Hi! AndrewN IanStewart You guys have been my lifesaver lately.
Various experts saying that in B and D, the use of "it" is wrong because "it" refers to whole phrase "more than ten times as much energy". But I am not sure if this is the reason to eliminate it.

Hi IanStewart and AjiteshArun

I have the same question as this club member did, and another bigger question: how should we decide whether the second half of a sentence that uses "as...as" comparison structure omits its subject properly?

Many textbooks say that if the second half does not have its own subject, its subject should be the same as the subject of the main clause. An example would be "Crude oil prices are higher now than they were in January," in which we can drop "they" (or "they were") as the word "they " just refers to the subject in the first half of the sentence.

But, when dealing with SC questions that are more complex or have lots of quantitative modifiers, I find it difficult to apply such technique and thus fail to discern whether the second half is properly structured. Examples are this official question and another official question. I'll list them below and remove the less ideal options that don't have the second "as" to complete the "as...as" structure.

tennis1ball wrote:
There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.

(B) generated through wind power now as it was
(C) generated through wind power now as was the case-->correct answer
(D) now generated through wind power as it was.

arorag wrote:
According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and University Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year than those that charge over $16,000.

(D) as charge-->correct answer
(E) as those charging

These two sentences seem to adopt a similar structure: both of them are intended to compare the amount (of energy)/ number (of education institutions) and both of them place lots of quantitative modifiers before the subjects. But the first question's correct answer has its own subject "the case" for the second half, while the second question's correct answer omits the subject of the second half.

I have three questions:

1. For the wind power question, what do you think about the use of "it" in the option (B) and (D)?

Some experts have pointed out that the use of the pronoun "it" is incorrect, because "it" refers to the "entire antecedent/subject", which is "more than ten times as much energy." The sentence would carry an illogical meaning if "more than ten times as much energy" is used as the subject of the second half.

But, I am not sure about this interpretation of the pronoun "it." Though I am not sure whether the pronoun "it" can refer to the word "energy" alone, neither am I sure whether a so-called "entire subject" includes the modifier "more than ten times as much." These modifiers show the level of comparison--the first "as" modifies "much," and "more than ten times" modifies "as much." Yes in general they all modify the subject, but is the concept "entire subject" really working?

2. If the concept of "entire subject" is correct, how should we understand the correct answer of the fee question as the following?

"More than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as charge over $16,000."

The second half of this sentence does not have its own subject, so its subject should be the same as the subject of the first half, according to text books. But, what is the subject of the fist half? "independent institutions of higher education" or "more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education"? If we apply the concept of "the entire subject," the subject should be the latter--"more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education." But I think we will agree that this sentence would be illogical if the so-called "entire subject" is used for the second half.

3. If we apply the ellipsis pattern of the fee question to the wind power question, would it be correct to say "More than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now as was in 1990"?

I know sometimes experts do not encourage us to compare different questions as the clues that can be used to eliminate options might be distinct in different questions. But I hope to learn more about omitted subjects by comparing these two questions, as I feel that GMAT quite often tests the "as...as" structure, and what makes the questions hard is often the omitted structure. Thank you very much if you could answer my questions when you have time. :)

Referencing the football question you showed, I think one possible explanation (may not be correct) is to consider whether 1) I don't think Ron's explanation of IT refers to the entire subject is correct. 2) although not the first thought, the first part of the comparison from a meaning standpoint, seems to indicate the energy produced "NOW", which is compared against energy produced "BEFORE", as a result, "IT" is not the best choice here. 3) also IT may refer to windpower. 4) regarding the question you raised on [would it be correct to say "More than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now as was in 1990"?], I honestly think this is correct as it just compares two different periods, but I can clearly see the contradiction with the current question. Anyways.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
GraceSCKao wrote:
Thanks for your response. :)
I feel that I raised a question that cannot be explained with clear grammatical rules as it involves the complicated usage of English language.

I also have doubts for Ron's explanation of "it"--the so called "entire subject" concept. This concept helps me greatly with other questions in which I need to choose between the pronouns "it" or "that," but not with this question. If I accept this concept with all my heart, I will have difficulty dealing with another question (https://reurl.cc/RjaYog.) The correct answer of that question will carry a strange meaning if we use the "entire subject" concept.

I have to say that I disagree with your second point. The original sentence is "energy is generated through wind power now"--the word "now" is placed after the verb, so "now" should modify the verb "be generated" rather than the subject "energy." If our sentence were "Last year's attendance was ten thousand greater than it was this year," the use of "it" would be incorrect, since"it" would refer to "last year's attendance," so it would be illogical to say "last year's attendance was this year" in the second half of the sentence.

But I agree with your third point--pronoun ambiguity, and thank you so much for pointing this out. I did not think the ambiguity issue seriously as sometimes GMAT tolerates pronoun ambiguity. But this explanation is clearer than the "entire subject" concept....

An expert has pointed out that the correct answer of this question is "pushing the boundaries of what's acceptable and logical," and another expert has said that he does not think the use of "it" is wrong but since two options use "it" meanwhile and there cannot be two correct answers, he chose the option (C). Overall, I think this question might be a bit controversial, and I decided to put it aside and focus on other SC topics first. Maybe one day experts will give clear explanations, or maybe one day when I review this question, I could have a better insight into it.

By the way, I call this question and three other questions--that question whose link I attached above, and the other two questions (https://reurl.cc/6EAKnO) (https://reurl.cc/qOMGeN)--the hardest among all comparison questions, as they seem to involve special usages.

Thanks for your response once again!

Hello, GraceSCKao. I have been silently observing this recent dialogue between you and others because I have not been called in to comment. I was curious, though, about the three questions you linked to, so I followed the mini-urls. (I am not sure what kind of link command that may be, but it works.) I saw all three questions as straightforward comparisons. The only one I had not seen was the first, and I may have spoiled an Exam Pack question, but oh well. I answered that one in 34 seconds. The second I answered in just over 40 seconds, and the third one, the Easy one, I spent almost a minute on the first time around. (Just eyeballing it, I answered in about 20 seconds.) Would you like me to create a thread dedicated to those three questions so I can discuss them? What are your specific concerns? (Feel free to PM me to avoid cluttering up this thread.)

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Kudos
GraceSCKao wrote:
frankqxq wrote:

Referencing the football question you showed, I think one possible explanation (may not be correct) is to consider whether 1) I don't think Ron's explanation of IT refers to the entire subject is correct. 2) although not the first thought, the first part of the comparison from a meaning standpoint, seems to indicate the energy produced "NOW", which is compared against energy produced "BEFORE", as a result, "IT" is not the best choice here. 3) also IT may refer to windpower. 4) regarding the question you raised on [would it be correct to say "More than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now as was in 1990"?], I honestly think this is correct as it just compares two different periods, but I can clearly see the contradiction with the current question. Anyways.

Thanks for your response. :)
I feel that I raised a question that cannot be explained with clear grammatical rules as it involves the complicated usage of English language.

I also have doubts for Ron's explanation of "it"--the so called "entire subject" concept. This concept helps me greatly with other questions in which I need to choose between the pronouns "it" or "that," but not with this question. If I accept this concept with all my heart, I will have difficulty dealing with another question (https://reurl.cc/RjaYog.) The correct answer of that question will carry a strange meaning if we use the "entire subject" concept.

I have to say that I disagree with your second point. The original sentence is "energy is generated through wind power now"--the word "now" is placed after the verb, so "now" should modify the verb "be generated" rather than the subject "energy." If our sentence were "Last year's attendance was ten thousand greater than it was this year," the use of "it" would be incorrect, since"it" would refer to "last year's attendance," so it would be illogical to say "last year's attendance was this year" in the second half of the sentence.

But I agree with your third point--pronoun ambiguity, and thank you so much for pointing this out. I did not think the ambiguity issue seriously as sometimes GMAT tolerates pronoun ambiguity. But this explanation is clearer than the "entire subject" concept....

An expert has pointed out that the correct answer of this question is "pushing the boundaries of what's acceptable and logical," and another expert has said that he does not think the use of "it" is wrong but since two options use "it" meanwhile and there cannot be two correct answers, he chose the option (C). Overall, I think this question might be a bit controversial, and I decided to put it aside and focus on other SC topics first. Maybe one day experts will give clear explanations, or maybe one day when I review this question, I could have a better insight into it.

By the way, I call this question and three other questions--that question whose link I attached above, and the other two questions (https://reurl.cc/6EAKnO) (https://reurl.cc/qOMGeN)--the hardest among all comparison questions, as they seem to involve special usages.

Thanks for your response once again!

NP. Actually, if you go to the manhattan prep post for the same question, somebody actually asked the exact same FOOTBALL question to Ron, and I have to say Ron's approach to comparison(IE. don't think about omitted words) is very different from mine and most people's in general. I don't have time to study his approach, and I feel it could completely mess up my understanding of solving comparison questions, but if interested you can take a look.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
GraceSCKao wrote:
1. For the wind power question, what do you think about the use of "it" in the option (B) and (D)?

"it" refers to the exact same instance of a noun, whereas "that" refers to a different instance of that 'type' of noun. For example, we can say "the sun is one-third as hot as it was a billion years ago"; but we can't say "the sun is one-third as hot as that was a billion years ago". Conversely, we can say "Our galaxy's sun is one-third as hot as that of Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy"; but we can't say "Our galaxy's sun is one-third as hot as it of Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy"

That's why I eliminate (B) and (D) in the wind question. You can't say "twice as much energy is generated now as it was in 1980", because it's not the same energy being generated (the energy generated in 1980 has probably already been used). You can say "twice as much energy is generated now as that generated in 1980".
GraceSCKao wrote:
2. If the concept of "entire subject" is correct, how should we understand the correct answer of the fee question as the following?

I'd like to commend you, GraceSCKao, for spotting this inconsistency. You're absolutely right, and you should continue to search for such inconsistencies, because they usually point to an incorrect elimination.
GraceSCKao wrote:

3. If we apply the ellipsis pattern of the fee question to the wind power question, would it be correct to say "More than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now as was in 1990"?

Yes, that's correct.

GraceSCKao wrote:
I hope to learn more about omitted subjects by comparing these two questions, as I feel that GMAT quite often tests the "as...as" structure, and what makes the questions hard is often the omitted structure.

This is the right approach, keep it up! And, keep in mind that while the subject can be omitted, it doesn't have to be omitted. You'll obviously never be required to choose between two answer choices that differ only in the presence/absence of the subject. Find other reasons to eliminate four answer choices :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
GraceSCKao wrote:
1. Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than those of a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raising corn and soybean prices.

2. Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year. ->I think it could be read as "than they were last year."

GraceSCKao both of these sentences refer to prices that are changing over time. From the first sentence we can see that "those" is used, indicating that a price, once it has changed, is considered to be a different instance of type 'price' from the previous price. This makes sense, mathematically. Based on that, I'd say that the second sentence should be read as "than the heating-oil prices last year". I think the question of whether a changing price is still the same price or a different instance of type 'price' is arguable, but, importantly, the GMAT doesn't force us to make that determination in either of those official problems.
GraceSCKao wrote:
3. Even with the proposed budget cuts and new taxes and fees, the city's projected deficit for the next budget year is getting worse: administration officials announced that they believe the gap will be $3.7 billion, a billion dollars more than they had predicted just two months ago.
-> The correct answer does not use "it," but the official explanation says that since the comparison is between the deficit amount predicted earlier and the deficit amount predicted later, either "the gap will be more than it was predicted to be" or "the gap will be more than was predicted" would be correct.
->But, I am not sure whether an amount predicted two months ago should be the same thing as the amount predicted just today? Or, both "that" and "it" are fine?

In this case I think it's not arguable. "it" doesn't refer to "amount"; "it" refers to "gap". And, the gap is definitely the same gap (the deficit). The gap isn't changing here: the prediction (of the size of the deficit) is changing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi esledge,
Indeed a very nice explanation. But the OA is C. Could you please justify?
Thanks
-Amit
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2013
Send PM
amitanand wrote:
Could anyone help me understanding the reasoning used in the following question:

Q: There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fossil fuels: more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990

Thanks in advance.

Yikes - tough question. I think this is likely to be a parallelism issue. Answer choices B, C and D makes the sentence parallel as follows:

...more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now as ...

B and D use the phrase 'as it was' - it is unclear what 'it' is referring to in the context of the sentence, so eliminate these choices and go with C.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8529 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
x2suresh wrote:
quit123 wrote:
54. There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from our heavy reliance on fosil fuels; more than ten times as much energy is generated through wind power now than it was in 1990.

A. generated through wind power now than it was
B. generated through wind power now as it was
C. generated through wind power now as was the case
D. now generated through wind power as it was
E. now generated through wind power than was the case

idiom: as much ..as
D,E --out

it --> ambiguous..
it can refer to energy/wind power ..
A,B --out

C is perfect and parallel.

ten times as much "energy is generated...." now than as was the case<energy generated .. through wind pwoer.> in 1990

Why do u say that "it" is ambiguous? For me is clearly referring to energy.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Please comment on the use of 'it'. I believe its an issue with pronoun ambiguity for B and D.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [0]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
egmat wrote:
kinjiGC wrote:
Fistail wrote:

Meaning : There are hopeful signs that we are shifting away from reliance on fossil fuels.More than ten times as much energy is generated through X as it was generated through wind power in 1990.

There are two idioms tested.
as X as Y and X more than Y.

as much X as Y -> We require "as"

-Confused as to why B is wrong

- Looks good.

- couldn't eliminate on solid grounds

As much X as Y

Can you please explain what can be the error in B) and D). Why "as it was" is wrong. I think if we ellipse on this.

more than ten times as much energy is generated through Wind power now as it was generated through wind power in 1990 -> Looks correct to me.

Hi kinjiGC,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :-)

So basically why "as it was..." is incorrect in the context of this sentence. It is so because "it" refers to "more than ten times as much energy". It is so because in such constructions, the modifiers related to a referent noun CANNOT be left alone. So in Choices B and D. This obviously does not make sense as this reference leads to illogical comparison.

However, Choice C, this is not the case because "as was the case" refers to generation of energy in 1990.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ

Just to summarize the understanding, "it" should refer to the "complete" subject along with the modifier.

Can I use "that"? Can you please clarify the difference.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts