Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Long Passagex   Sciencex                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32899 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Re: There are recent reports of apparently drastic declines in amphibian [#permalink]
[quote="idkksh"]
2. It can be inferred from the passage that the author believes which of the following to be true of the environmentalists mentioned in lines 5-6?

(A) They have wrongly chosen to focus on anecdotal reports rather than on the long-term data that are currently available concerning amphibians.
(B) Their recommendations are flawed because their research focuses too narrowly on a single category of animal species.
(C) Their certainty that population declines in general are caused by environmental degradation is not warranted.
(D) They have drawn premature conclusions concerning a crisis in amphibian populations from recent reports of declines.
(E) They have overestimated the effects of chance events on trends in amphibian populations.

GMATNinja could you comment on why answer choice C is wrong?
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Re: There are recent reports of apparently drastic declines in amphibian [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Michele4 wrote:
idkksh wrote:
2. It can be inferred from the passage that the author believes which of the following to be true of the environmentalists mentioned in lines 5-6?

(A) They have wrongly chosen to focus on anecdotal reports rather than on the long-term data that are currently available concerning amphibians.
(B) Their recommendations are flawed because their research focuses too narrowly on a single category of animal species.
(C) Their certainty that population declines in general are caused by environmental degradation is not warranted.
(D) They have drawn premature conclusions concerning a crisis in amphibian populations from recent reports of declines.
(E) They have overestimated the effects of chance events on trends in amphibian populations.

GMATNinja could you comment on why answer choice C is wrong?

Please read these discussions for Q#2 in the links below, I hope these help you out.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/there-are-re ... l#p2054458

https://gmatclub.com/forum/there-are-re ... l#p2235124

https://gmatclub.com/forum/there-are-re ... l#p2173714

https://gmatclub.com/forum/there-are-re ... l#p2261037

Thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
In Q 1, how is the passage Validating a certain view? Unable to get the reasoning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Hi, can someone please explain answers to all 6 questions mentioned in this passage?
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
ashwinichobe wrote:
Hi, can someone please explain answers to all 6 questions mentioned in this passage?

Welcome to GMAT Club!

You just need to explore the explanation, This passage is extensively been discussed already.

Thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V36
Send PM
For question No.1, on what basis can we reject option D?
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
linuschoudhury wrote:
For question No.1, on what basis can we reject option D?

Read the explanation in the post in link below

https://gmatclub.com/forum/there-are-re ... l#p2490742
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
There are recent reports of apparently drastic declines in amphibian [#permalink]
Quote:
5. Which of the following most accurately describes the organization of the passage?

(A) A question is raised, a distinction regarding it is made, and the question is answered.
(B) An interpretation is presented, its soundness is examined, and a warning is given.
(C) A situation is described, its consequences are analyzed, and a prediction is made.
(D) Two interpretations of a phenomenon are described, and one of them is rejected as invalid.
(E) Two methods for analyzing a phenomenon are compared, and further study of the phenomenon is recommended.

Dear GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo Sajjad1994
I have a query on question 5. Why D is wrong?
From my understanding, The passage tells about the phenomenon : (The decrease in population and extinction of amphibian) then It shows 2 views from this phenomenon
1 is from environmentalist
2 is from biologist
The view 1 is rejected by the author in paragraph 2.

Please correct me, am I missing something?
Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
can anyone tell me why in question 4 rarest=always rare.
I don't think that always rare means rarest. And "rarest" seems extreme,so I choose it.
GMATNinja

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
GMATNinja, can you please explain why D should be eliminated for Q3?
It is noted in the 2nd par that chance events may lead to extinction.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 496
Send PM
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma
Why Q2 C is incorrect?
3rd and 4th para - The author believes that decline could be due to normal fluctuations. So the claims made by environmentalist that declines are caused by degradation is not certain. The author does not believe this claim. Why C is incorrect then?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
Send PM
Can anyone please help me with Q4 here ? I am not able to get the approach. It probably means that I have to take inference from multiple lines in all the paragraphs, but what is the best way to do so ? It is difficult for me to retain so much info at once.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63664 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
mitul302 wrote:
Can anyone please help me with Q4 here ? I am not able to get the approach. It probably means that I have to take inference from multiple lines in all the paragraphs, but what is the best way to do so ? It is difficult for me to retain so much info at once.

Take a look at this post and let us know if you have further questions!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
aragonn wrote:
singh8891 - What you have underlined is not the view of author, but it is the view of ' many environmentalists'. Author's view is given in P2. Author is not so sure about it. this is covered in P2. D is on these lines. Let me know if you need more clarity.

I have not completely understood the reason behind eliminating option C in question 2. Option C and option D look similar to me. It would be of great help if anyone could elaborate along these lines and clarify my doubt.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35 (Online)
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Took me 13 mins 30 sec, 5 correct, 1 wrong.
Is this the optimum time for such a passage?
Any tips?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
5. Which of the following most accurately describes the organization of the passage?

(A) A question is raised, a distinction regarding it is made, and the question is answered.
(B) An interpretation is presented, its soundness is examined, and a warning is given.
(C) A situation is described, its consequences are analyzed, and a prediction is made.
(D) Two interpretations of a phenomenon are described, and one of them is rejected as invalid.
(E) Two methods for analyzing a phenomenon are compared, and further study of the phenomenon is recommended.

hi GMATNinjaTwo, VeritasKarishma, MartyTargetTestPrep, AndrewN,VeritasPrepBrian,GMATRockstar
KarishmaB

avigutman, AndrewN,MartyTargetTestPrep

from P2&3, the author compares declining population and endanger population. in P4, authors proposes long-time data, so I think E match.

what's the problem with my reasoning ?

thanks in advance.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
jim441 wrote:
Took me 13 mins 30 sec, 5 correct, 1 wrong.
Is this the optimum time for such a passage?
Any tips?

About 4 minutes for the passage and 1 minute for each question, for a total of 10 minutes.

For detail on how much time to spend on each Verbal question, see this post.

GMAT Verbal Timing Strategy
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts