Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Modifiersx   Parallelismx   Verb Tense/Formx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45 (Online)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.68
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: There are several ways to build solid walls using just mud or clay, bu [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Snehaaaaa wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
joemama142000 wrote:
There are several ways to build solid walls using just mud or clay, but the most extensively used method has been the forming of bricks out of mud or clay, and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, they are laid in the wall in mud mortar.

A. the forming of bricks out of mud or clay, and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, they are laid

B. forming the mud or clay into bricks, and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, to lay them

C. having bricks formed from mud or clay, and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, they were laid

D. to form the mud or clay into bricks, and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, to lay them

E. that bricks were formed from mud or clay, which, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, were laid

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that the most extensively used method of building walls with mud or clay has been to form the mud or clay into bricks, and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, to lay them in the wall in mud mortar.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Parallelism

• "who/whose/whom/which/where", when preceded by a comma, refer to the noun just before the comma.
• Any elements linked through conjunction ("and" in this case) must be parallel.

A: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between the noun phrase "the forming of bricks out of mud or clay" and the clause "they are laid in the wall in mud mortar"; please remember, any elements linked through conjunction ("and" in this case) must be parallel.

B: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between "forming the mud or clay into bricks" and "to lay them in the wall in mud mortar"; please remember, any elements linked through conjunction ("and" in this case) must be parallel.

C: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between "having bricks formed from mud or clay" and "they were laid in the wall in mud mortar"; please remember, any elements linked through conjunction ("and" in this case) must be parallel.

D: Correct. This answer choice avoids the subject-verb disagreement seen in Option E, as it refers to the plural noun "bricks" with the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + lay" in this sentence) rather than an active verb. Further, Option D correctly refers to the noun "bricks" with the phrase "to lay them in the wall in mud mortar", conveying the intended meaning - that the bricks formed out of mud or clay were laid in the wall in mud mortar. Additionally, Option D maintains parallelism between "to form the mud or clay into bricks" and "to lay them in the wall in mud mortar".

E: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun "clay" with the plural verb phrase "were laid". Further, Option E incorrectly refers to "clay" with the phrase "which were laid", incorrectly implying that the clay itself was laid in the wall in mud mortar; the intended meaning is that the bricks formed out of mud or clay were laid in the wall in mud mortar; remember, "who/whose/whom/which/where", when preceded by a comma, refer to the noun just before the comma.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Other than the parallelism issue, does 'they' in options A and C point correctly to the bricks. If not what do they point to?
A. the forming of bricks out of mud or clay, and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, they are laid

C. having bricks formed from mud or clay, and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, they were laid

Hello Snehaaaaa,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, in these answer choices "they" correctly refers to "bricks"; there is no ambiguity regarding the pronoun, as "they" can only logically refer to "bricks"; "ways" can't be air-dried or sun-dried, and the "walls" themselves cannot be "laid in the walls".

To understand the concept of "Exceptions to Pronoun Ambiguity" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
There are several ways to build solid walls using just mud or clay, bu [#permalink]
egmat - I'm referring to your comment

egmat wrote:
Note that the presence of a “comma + and” in a sentence doesn’t necessarily indicate that two or more Independent Clauses are connected. (The above sentence, for instance)

However, if two or more Independent Clauses are present in a sentence, they are always connected by “comma + FANBOYS”.

I just found an official sentence, from a CR option choice, that doesn't use a comma between two independent clauses separated by "and". :cry: Can you please guide what I am missing?

Link, Option C: https://gmatclub.com/forum/p52699

(C) The flute was made from a cave-bear bone and the campsite at which the flute fragment was excavated was in a cave that also contained skeletal remains of cave bears.

egmat wrote:
mstfkvs wrote:
Although I did this question correct, I have a doubt on the usage of COMMA. The question is as follow:

There are several ways to build solid walls using just mud or clay, but the most extensively used method has been the forming of bricks out of mud or clay, and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, they are laid in the wall in mud mortar.

B. forming the mud or clay into bricks, and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, to lay them

D. to form the mud or clay into bricks, and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, to lay them

E. that bricks were formed from mud or clay, which, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, were laid

My question is that in choice D, what is the role of the comma after "bricks". I can understand that the the red part is giving extra info about time, but I really did not understand the comma before "and". It seemed to me the sentence structure like this:

IC, Fanboys (But in this case) IC, AND to Verb

to verb // to verb seems OK, but what about the comma before and? The list is: to form X, and to lay Y

Hi Mustafa,

Let us see how the sentence looks when Option D is used.

There are several ways to build solid walls using just mud or clay, but the most extensively used method has been to form the mud or clay into bricks, and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, to lay them in the wall in mud mortar.

Let us now look at the structure of this sentence.

There are several ways to build solid walls using just mud or clay,
    • but the most extensively used method has been
      o to form the
         mud or
         clay
      o into bricks, and
      o , after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, to lay them in the wall in mud mortar.

As you can see, the “and” in this sentence is connecting two entities in a list.

The entities are:
a. To form the mud or clay into bricks.
b. To lay them in the wall in mud mortar.

As you can see, the entities in the list are a bit longer than usual. Moreover, the first entity has another list embedded in it (mud or clay). So a comma is put before the “and” for a breathing pause.

So the comma before "and" is only to help us in identifying the main list.

Note that the presence of a “comma + and” in a sentence doesn’t necessarily indicate that two or more Independent Clauses are connected. (The above sentence, for instance)

However, if two or more Independent Clauses are present in a sentence, they are always connected by “comma + FANBOYS”.

Hope this helps :)

Regards,
Krishna
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
There are several ways to build solid walls using just mud or clay, bu [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Pankaj0901 wrote:
I just found an official sentence, from a CR option choice, that doesn't use a comma between two independent clauses separated by "and". :cry: Can you please guide what I am missing?

(C) The flute was made from a cave-bear bone and the campsite at which the flute fragment was excavated was in a cave that also contained skeletal remains of cave bears.

You really shouldn't be scouting through CR arguments, for lessons in SC Pankaj.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Re: There are several ways to build solid walls using just mud or clay, bu [#permalink]
EducationAisle - Hmm, well noted. I always thought that the rule is a rule, be it SC, CR or RC in the GMAT. (A bit surprising though that GMAT doesn't stick to the strict SC guidelines in CR & RC.)

EducationAisle wrote:
Pankaj0901 wrote:

Link, Option C: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-spacing- ... tml#p52699

You really shouldn't be scouting through CR arguments, for lessons in SC Pankaj.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Pankaj0901 wrote:
egmat - I'm referring to your comment

egmat wrote:

egmat wrote:
mstfkvs wrote:
Although I did this question correct, I have a doubt on the usage of COMMA. The question is as follow:

My question is that in choice D, what is the role of the comma after "bricks". I can understand that the the red part is giving extra info about time, but I really did not understand the comma before "and". It seemed to me the sentence structure like this:

IC, Fanboys (But in this case) IC, AND to Verb

to verb // to verb seems OK, but what about the comma before and? The list is: to form X, and to lay Y

Hi Mustafa,

Let us see how the sentence looks when Option D is used.

There are several ways to build solid walls using just mud or clay, but the most extensively used method has been to form the mud or clay into bricks, and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, to lay them in the wall in mud mortar.

Let us now look at the structure of this sentence.

There are several ways to build solid walls using just mud or clay,
    • but the most extensively used method has been
      o to form the
         mud or
         clay
      o into bricks, and
      o , after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, to lay them in the wall in mud mortar.

As you can see, the “and” in this sentence is connecting two entities in a list.

The entities are:
a. To form the mud or clay into bricks.
b. To lay them in the wall in mud mortar.

As you can see, the entities in the list are a bit longer than usual. Moreover, the first entity has another list embedded in it (mud or clay). So a comma is put before the “and” for a breathing pause.

So the comma before "and" is only to help us in identifying the main list.

Hope this helps :)

Regards,
Krishna

Hello Pankaj0901,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the lack of a comma in the sentence you have mentioned is most likely a typographical error; rest assured, a conjunction cannot join two independent clauses alone.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Stern '23 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V43
Send PM
Hi,

In this SC question, your knowledge of finding parallels is tested.

Start by eliminating choices:

Option A: the forming...they are laid: not parallel
Option B: forming...to lay them: not parallel
Option C: having...they were laid: not parallel
Option D: to form...to lay them: parallel
Option E: incorrectly points 'clay' were laid, & not the bricks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
how is the use of 'and' justified in D]

we have two standalone info linked to the common excerpt- ''the most extensively used method has been''

1. to form the mud or clay into bricks,

and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying,

2. to lay them

if I say- ''the most extensively used method has been to lay them in wall of mortar''
it does not make sense on its own since the preceding action of forming bricks is linked to the 2nd action

How we will justify parallelism here?
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:
How we will justify parallelism here?

This sentence describes a procedure consisting of two consecutive steps.

Consecutive actions are quite commonly connected with just the simple parallel marker "and".
e.g.,
Children are taught to stop, drop, and roll if their clothing should ever catch fire.
I'm going to go to the gym, get some groceries, and stop for gas on my way home from work.[/i]

If it's [b]NOT
obvious that a given set of actions happen in sequential order, then an additional signal word (such as "then") can be used for clarification. If that relationship is obvious, then just "and" is good enough.

In this sentence, it's plain that these actions must be performed in sequence (it's impossible to form bricks and lay them into a wall at the same time!), so there's no need for any connector other than "and".
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
"There are several ways to build solid walls (no comma?) using just mud or clay..."
I understood the solution of the question, but I wonder why there is no comma before "using just mud or clay". Since it is an adverbial v-ing modifier, isn't a comma required in that sentence?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
joemama142000 wrote:

Hi Experts KarishmaB GMATNinja egmat

I am really confused with the meaning in (D). I know that it ticks the parallelism correctly but I am not satisfied with the whole meaning.

As per (D), the most extensively used method has been "this" & "this". how can one method consists of two things? I think (E) makes a little better meaning wise though incorrect for other reasons.

Thanks!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64889 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
GMATking94 wrote:
joemama142000 wrote:

Hi Experts KarishmaB GMATNinja egmat

I am really confused with the meaning in (D). I know that it ticks the parallelism correctly but I am not satisfied with the whole meaning.

As per (D), the most extensively used method has been "this" & "this". how can one method consists of two things? I think (E) makes a little better meaning wise though incorrect for other reasons.

Thanks!

A method can consist of multiple steps. Here the steps are 'to make bricks and to lay them in the wall.'
This is just one method with two steps. We can join them using 'and.'
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 230 Q13 V8
Send PM
took me 28 seconds and choose option d
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
here are several ways to build solid walls using just mud or clay, but the most extensively used method has been the forming of bricks out of mud or clay, and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, they are laid in the wall in mud mortar.
My answer

A. the forming of bricks out of mud or clay, and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, they are laid- Forming, and laid are not parallel.

B. forming the mud or clay into bricks, and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, to lay them- Same as above

C. having bricks formed from mud or clay, and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, they were laid- Same as above

D. to form the mud or clay into bricks, and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, to lay them- To form the mud or clay, and to lay them- parallel

E. that bricks were formed from mud or clay, which, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, were laid- Not parallel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Would be really grateful if anyone can kindly help validate the following reasoning for eliminating incorrect choices:

A.
method has been
  • the forming of bricks out of mud or clay,
  • and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, they are laid

In short: method has been the forming of X and they are laid..

Error: Parallelism error as a noun phrase is parallel to a clause.

B.
method has been
  • forming the mud or clay into bricks,
  • and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, to lay them

In short: method has been forming X and to lay them...

Error: Parallelism error as a noun phrase is parallel to an infinitive phrase

C.
method has been
  • having bricks formed from mud or clay,
  • and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, they were laid

In short: method has been having bricks formed and they were laid...

Error: 2nd part is a clause whereas 1st part is not a clause

D.
method has been
  • to form the mud or clay into bricks,
  • and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, to lay them

In short: method has been to form X and to lay them...

Both the parallel elements are in the same format

E.
method has been
  • that bricks were formed from mud or clay,
    • which, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, were laid

In short: method has been that bricks were formed from mud or clay, which were laid...

Here I think issue is not with sentence structure/ parallelism but with the following:
1) 'which' incorrectly refers to mud or clay
2) usage of past tense. The sentence overall has a factual tone, so should be in the present tense.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts