GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 06:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

There is a widespread belief in the United States and Western Europe t

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
Re: There is a widespread belief in the United States and Western Europe t  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2008, 17:58
A and C are out because of usage of smaller.
B compares committment with parents and grandparents.
E is wordy and awkward
D is the best choice
amitdgr wrote:
Source: GMATPrep

There is a widespread belief in the United States and Western Europe that young people have a smaller commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents and that the source of the change lies in the collapse of the "work ethic."

(A) a smaller commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents
(B) less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents
(C) a smaller commitment to work and a career than that of their parents and grandparents
(D) less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents had
(E) a lessening of the commitment to work and a career that their parents and grandparents had
Intern
Intern
Re: There is a widespread belief in the United States and Western Europe t  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2008, 07:05
OA (D)

To maintain parallelism, HAD is required. The comparison is done between the commitment that young generation HAVE and older generation HAD.

Hope it makes sense....
Good Luck
Code Snooker
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2008, 08:44
amitdgr wrote:
Source: GMATPrep

There is a widespread belief in the United States and Western Europe that young people have a smaller commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents and that the source of the change lies in the collapse of the "work ethic."

(A) a smaller commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents
(B) less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents
(C) a smaller commitment to work and a career than that of their parents and grandparents
(D) less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents had
(E) a lessening of the commitment to work and a career that their parents and grandparents had

IMO D) ... less of is required here since commitment is uncountable and verb is required in end
Manager
Manager
There is a widespread belief in the United States and ...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2009, 09:00
Please help me with this SC...
Attachments

SC02.jpg
SC02.jpg [ 80.07 KiB | Viewed 7174 times ]

Manager
Manager
Re: There is a widespread belief in the United States and ...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2009, 09:13
commitment is uncountable, thus we need to use "less" here.
answer E looks confusing and awkward.
We need to choose btw B and D.
B has no tense.
because it is required to have a clear tense here to make this sentence sound clear, pick D.

Never, never, never give up

Intern
Intern
Re: There is a widespread belief in the United States and Western Europe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2010, 17:52
We can rule out A,B and C since had is not there in the end for completing the parallelism.

have ... and ... had

now between D and E,

E has "lessening" which means commitment keeps on decreasing
so E out

so D wins , as have less of a commitment ... is parallel to .... had
Manager
Manager
Re: There is a widespread belief in the United States and Western Europe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2010, 17:44
noboru wrote:
There is a widespread belief in the US and Western Europe that young
people have a smaller commitment to work and a career than their parents and
grandparents
and that the source of the change lies in the collapse of the 'work
ethic'.

A. a smaller commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents
B. less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents
C. a smaller commitment to work and a career than that of their parents and
grandparents
D. less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents
had
E. a lessening of the commitment to work and a career than their parents and
grandparents had

commitment is uncountable noun so it should be less not smaller. Lessening of commitment is wrong. So ruling out A,C and E
In B we are comparing commitment with parents and grandparents.

D is correct as it uses less and also compares commitment of young people with the commitment of their parents and grandparents
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2010, 09:03
Ans. should be D.

less commitment or more commitment not smaller or bigger commitment, so A and C out.
B out because of improper comparison
E out because of lessening.
D is the answer
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2010, 10:34
Seen this on the forum before....

Commitment cannot be "smaller", eliminate
A. a smaller commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents
C. a smaller commitment to work and a career than that of their parents and
grandparents

"Lessening of" is incorrect, eliminate
E. a lessening of the commitment to work and a career than their parents and
grandparents had

Parallelism between young people HAVE and grandparents HAD, eliminate
B. less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents

D it is!
D. less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents
had
VP
VP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2010, 12:25
Dont you think that "had" is so obvious that is not actually needed?
Wouldnt B therefore be better?
Thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Current Student
Schools: Carnegie Mellon, INSEAD, IIMA, ISB
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2010, 16:42
Commitment is uncountable and hence small cannot be used. hence A and C is ruled out.
B is ruled out because the comparison is between the commitment towards work and not between children and their parents.
E is ruled out because the word Lessening is used in a wrong context.
Hence D is the correct answer
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2010, 16:27
OA = D "Less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents had.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2010, 20:49
People have danced around this issue here, but let's make it explicit:

"Smaller" and "larger" refer to physical size:

My dog is larger...
Your foot is smaller...
His house is smaller...

Since there is no physical size of "commitment," you really can't use "smaller" or "larger" to describe it.

"Less" and "more" can refer to magnitude:

I am less excited than you are.
You are more committed than I am.

Good times in GMAT land!

Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 05:32
BKimball wrote:
People have danced around this issue here, but let's make it explicit:

"Smaller" and "larger" refer to physical size:

My dog is larger...
Your foot is smaller...
His house is smaller...

Since there is no physical size of "commitment," you really can't use "smaller" or "larger" to describe it.

"Less" and "more" can refer to magnitude:

I am less excited than you are.
You are more committed than I am.

Good times in GMAT land!

Many thanks.

Could you explain whether "had" is strictly required?

Thanks in advance. For me is so obvious that can be ommited. I think that it is called ellipsis.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 06:46
Young people HAVE less of x.... than their parents and grandparents HAD

If 'had' is not added then I think quite literally the comparison does not work...

Young ppl have less of something (i.e., a category of persons having something) vs. their parents and grandparents (a category of persons simpliciter)

"ellipsis" as far as I am aware refers to omission of words when you quote someone and put ....... dots to lessen the length of the quote...

one place where a word can be omitted (according to the MGMAT SC book) is a word after a possessive noun

Sam's build is more muscular than Joe's. [one doesnt have to write Joe's build as that is implicit]
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 13:24
My point is that "had" is also implicit in this question.
Thoughts on that?
Thanks in advance.

gmat1011 wrote:
Young people HAVE less of x.... than their parents and grandparents HAD

If 'had' is not added then I think quite literally the comparison does not work...

Young ppl have less of something (i.e., a category of persons having something) vs. their parents and grandparents (a category of persons simpliciter)

"ellipsis" as far as I am aware refers to omission of words when you quote someone and put ....... dots to lessen the length of the quote...

one place where a word can be omitted (according to the MGMAT SC book) is a word after a possessive noun

Sam's build is more muscular than Joe's. [one doesnt have to write Joe's build as that is implicit]

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 18:44
noboru,

Great question! As codesnooker describes, this question really deals with comparisons. Remember that comparisons are just a special form of parallelism, so the items that you are comparing must be parallel.

Consider this example:

"I ate more pizza than you."
"I ate more pizza than you did."

Here, we are trying to compare the relative quantities of pizza eaten by you and I. However, the first example doesn't do that; the first example says that I ate more pizza than "you" (as if "you" is something else than I ate -- apparently less of").

You could say "I ate more pizza than salad" if you are trying to compare the nouns "pizza" and "salad." However, when you are comparing how much pizza I ATE to how much pizza YOU ATE, you need to keep that noun, verb structure parallel by using the noun (you) and the verb (did) in the second half just as you used the noun (I) and verb (ate) in the first half.

Check out codesnooker's explanation for how this works in this problem.

Brett

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2011, 05:34
I agree with your pizza example because in that case (I ate more pizza than you), there is ambiguity:
Meaning 1: I ate 4 slices and you only ate 2 slices.
Meaning 2: I ate 4 kgs of pizza and only 2 kgs of you (yes, I love you with tomatos and fries).

However, in this question I dont see where is the ambiguity. I would appreciate if you could explain the 2 possible meanings of the sentence if there were no "had" removing the supposed ambiguity that I am trying to discover.

Many thanks in advance.

BKimball wrote:
noboru,

Great question! As codesnooker describes, this question really deals with comparisons. Remember that comparisons are just a special form of parallelism, so the items that you are comparing must be parallel.

Consider this example:

"I ate more pizza than you."
"I ate more pizza than you did."

Here, we are trying to compare the relative quantities of pizza eaten by you and I. However, the first example doesn't do that; the first example says that I ate more pizza than "you" (as if "you" is something else than I ate -- apparently less of").

You could say "I ate more pizza than salad" if you are trying to compare the nouns "pizza" and "salad." However, when you are comparing how much pizza I ATE to how much pizza YOU ATE, you need to keep that noun, verb structure parallel by using the noun (you) and the verb (did) in the second half just as you used the noun (I) and verb (ate) in the first half.

Check out codesnooker's explanation for how this works in this problem.

Brett

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2011, 19:01
Try this out:

(B) less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents: Here, they are less committed to work and career than to their parents and grandparents. That's not the intended meaning.

(D) less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents had. Here, they are less committed to work than their parents and grandparents were. That makes more sense in context.

Does that help?

Brett

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2011, 10:06
BKimball wrote:
Try this out:

(B) less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents: Here, they are less committed to work and career than to their parents and grandparents. That's not the intended meaning.

(D) less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents had. Here, they are less committed to work than their parents and grandparents were. That makes more sense in context.

Does that help?

Brett

ah!ok! commited to their parents! that was the meaning I was not catching!

Thanks. That helped.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Re: There is a widespread belief in the United States and Western Europe t &nbs [#permalink] 05 Jan 2011, 10:06

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 57 posts ] 

There is a widespread belief in the United States and Western Europe t

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap