Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 606 [29]
Given Kudos: 1063
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [8]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618904 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Re: There is a widespread belief that people can predict impending earthqu [#permalink]
Can someone explain in detail why the answer is E), not D)? Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Re: There is a widespread belief that people can predict impending earthqu [#permalink]
Kudos
annelena wrote:
Can someone explain in detail why the answer is E), not D)? Thanks!

There is a widespread belief that people can predict impending earthquakes from unusual animal behavior. Skeptics claim that this belief is based on selective coincidence: people whose dogs behaved oddly just before an earthquake will be especially likely to remember that fact. At any given time, the skeptics say, some of the world’s dogs will be behaving oddly.

Clarification of which one of the following issues would be most important to an evaluation of the skeptics’ position?

(A) Which is larger, the number of skeptics or the
number of people who believe that animal
behavior can foreshadow earthquakes?
(B) Are there means other than the observation of
animal behavior that non-scientists can use to
predict earthquakes?
(C) Are there animals about whose behavior people know too little to be able to distinguish
unusual from everyday behavior?
(D) Are the sorts of behavior supposedly
predictive of earthquakes as pronounced in
dogs as they are in other animals?
(E) Is the animal behavior supposedly predictive
of earthquakes specific to impending earthquakes or can it be any kind of unusual
behavior?

Skeptics position is that 'At any given time ,some of the world’s dogs will be behaving oddly and their behaviour is coincidental. '
We need to evaluate this position.

How can we weaken this position. If we can prove that the behaviour is not coincidental.
What if the animals behaved differently prior to an earthquake compared to when they normally behave oddly.
If yes then the conclusion is weakened. If no conclusion is falsified. This is stated in E.

As to D, even if they are as pronounced as in other animals how does this affect the skeptics conclusion. It doesn't.
This choice doesn't address the skeptics conclusion.Hence Wrong IMO.

hope Its clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
Pre-thinking helped me here. In evaluate question, identifying the assumption is the key. Here, the skeptics assume that the dogs usual odd behaviour is similar or comparable to the their behaviour just before an earthquake. Hence, E is the answer. Choice D is irrelevant to evaluate the given position.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8809 [3]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
There is a widespread belief that people can predict impending earthquakes from unusual animal behavior. Skeptics claim that this belief is based on selective coincidence: people whose dogs behaved oddly just before an earthquake will be especially likely to remember that fact. At any given time, the skeptics say, some of the world’s dogs will be behaving oddly.

The skeptics' position is that the belief that animal behavior can indicate an impending earthquake is erroneously based on selective coincidence: people are just more likely to remember their dogs' behavior if it happened right before an earthquake.

Well, okay, but is that behavior connected with earthquakes or not? In other words, is the dog behavior just the same old stuff the dogs would be doing normally, or is it something they only do when an earthquake is on its way?

Clarification of which one of the following issues would be most important to an evaluation of the skeptics’ position?

(A) Which is larger, the number of skeptics or the number of people who believe that animal behavior can foreshadow earthquakes? -- Out of scope

(B) Are there means other than the observation of animal behavior that non-scientists can use to predict earthquakes? -- Out of scope

(C) Are there animals about whose behavior people know too little to be able to distinguish unusual from everyday behavior? --doesn't help us evaluate the skeptics' position. Why? Because even if the answer is "yes," that still doesn't mean that there are no animals whose behavior we can accurately judge. In other words, maybe we can't distinguish unusual marmoset behavior from everyday marmoset behavior, but we can still distinguish normal and unusual dog behavior.

(D) Are the sorts of behavior supposedly predictive of earthquakes as pronounced in dogs as they are in other animals? -- Whether or not unusual behavior in more pronounced in other animals, the issue of selective memory remains. (D) can't be correct.

(E) Is the animal behavior supposedly predictive of earthquakes specific to impending earthquakes or can it be any kind of unusual behavior? -- Correct

Answer E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Send PM
Quote:
(E) Is the animal behavior supposedly predictive of earthquakes specific to impending earthquakes or can it be any kind of unusual behavior?

Does "the animal behavior" here refer to this sentence " At any given time, the skeptics say, some of the world’s dogs will be behaving oddly"?

and can anyone please help to rewording choice E :( it sounds kinda wordy to me and I don't fully understand it.
Many many thanks
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63663 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
lichting wrote:
Quote:
(E) Is the animal behavior supposedly predictive of earthquakes specific to impending earthquakes or can it be any kind of unusual behavior?

Does "the animal behavior" here refer to this sentence " At any given time, the skeptics say, some of the world’s dogs will be behaving oddly"?

and can anyone please help to rewording choice E :( it sounds kinda wordy to me and I don't fully understand it.
Many many thanks

Choice (E) refers to the "unusual animal behavior" that people notice before earthquakes. In other words, is there certain unusual behavior that the animals display ONLY before earthquakes?

• For example, dogs certainly do plenty of odd things: chase their own tails, do back-flips, lie down in funny positions, etc.
  • As the skeptics point out, at any given time, some dogs in the world will be doing something odd.
  • So whenever there is an earthquake, there were likely dogs doing odd things just before the earthquake.
  • Thus, the odd behavior is probably just a coincidence and has nothing to do with the earthquakes.

But what if there is a specific odd behavior that dogs ONLY do before an earthquake?

• For example, what if just before an earthquake, dogs tend to stand up on their hind legs and pace back and forth nervously?
  • This is something that dogs ONLY do before an earthquake.
  • In that case, the odd pacing behavior would be specific to impending earthquakes.

So choice (E) says, "Is there a SPECIFIC kind of odd behavior that animals display before earthquakes (i.e. pacing back and forth) or can it be ANY kind of odd behavior (i.e. chasing tails, doing backflips, etc)?"

• If it's just ANY kind of odd behavior, then the skeptics are probably right.
  • If animals display SPECIFIC odd behavior prior to an earthquake, then the skeptics' position is probably flawed.

I hope that helps!

Originally posted by GMATNinja on 28 Jan 2018, 19:22.
Last edited by GMATNinjaTwo on 28 Jan 2018, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
fixed typo
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 169
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you so much GMATNinja. You always give me the best answer as soon as you could :D
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63663 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
lichting wrote:
Thank you so much GMATNinja. You always give me the best answer as soon as you could :D

Lol, I feel like I'm usually incredibly slow to respond to everything these days! Glad that we could be helpful with this one quickly, though. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
lichting wrote:

Lol, I feel like I'm usually incredibly slow to respond to everything these days! Glad that we could be helpful with this one quickly, though. :)

Sorry to ask you about questions other than discussed topic.

I really miss those Wednesday live sessions. I have learnt many tricks from them. Please continue doing those videos.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63663 [1]

Send PM