Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6809 [39]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3378 [7]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Send PM
Re: Thirteen states from all regions of the country announced a plan to [#permalink]
As ugly as it is, I'm going with D.

This is tricky because the use of "jointly adopting" indicates that there are TWO separate things being adopted here.

A. "in that they will jointly" is wordy/awkward. Also, "they" has an unclear referent - could be states, controls, or engines.
B. "to impose...by the joint adoption of..." is unclear. The use of "joint adoption" in here isn't clear as to what TWO things are being adopted. If it were just adopting new emission limits (ONE thing), then no need to add "joint adoption".
C. Same as B. Why add "jointly" here? In this example, the states are only adopting stricter emission limits.
D. This clearly separates TWO issues: imposing new controls on truck/bus engines AND adopting stricter emission limits. "imposing...adopting..." is also parallel.
E. "in the joint adoption of stricter emission limits" -- again, where is the JOINT? Where is the other thing?

I don't personally like "a plan for imposing...." but in this case it works.

sondenso wrote:
74. Thirteen states from all regions of the country announced a plan to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines in that they will jointly adopt emission limits that would be far stricter than the federal rules.

(A) to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines in that they will jointly adopt
(B) to impose new controls on truck and bus engines' pollution by the joint adoption of
(C) to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines by jointly adopting
(D) for imposing new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines, and jointly adopting
(E) for imposing new controls on truck and bus engine pollution in the joint adoption of
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Thirteen states from all regions of the country announced a plan to [#permalink]
Kudos
I’ll also pick C.

Not quite sure, but I think that in (D), it should be “a plan for imposing new controls…” “and for jointly adopting…” (without comma); otherwise it’s not parallel.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Ah crap! I originally picked D but the answer has got to be C. Here's why...

I originally thought that "jointly" was indicating that there are TWO things being adopted in this instance. That's why I went with D the first time because it clearly separates TWO things: imposing new controls on truck/bus engines AND adopting emission limits.

However, this is not really correct and actually alters the intent of the sentence. "Jointly" in this context isn't referring to two separate things, instead, it is referring to the "Thirteen states from all regions" who JOINTLY (meaning, all together as a group) adopt stricter emission limits.

So here we go for C:

Thirteen states from all regions of the country announced a plan to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines by jointly adopting emission limits that would be far stricter than the federal rules

There's my explanation. I always felt that "a plan to impose" just sounds better than "a plan for imposing" as another side note. Ugh tricky question! :)

sondenso wrote:
74. Thirteen states from all regions of the country announced a plan to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines in that they will jointly adopt emission limits that would be far stricter than the federal rules.

(A) to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines in that they will jointly adopt
(B) to impose new controls on truck and bus engines' pollution by the joint adoption of
(C) to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines by jointly adopting
(D) for imposing new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines, and jointly adopting
(E) for imposing new controls on truck and bus engine pollution in the joint adoption of
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6809 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Kudos
Racouteur, the second explaination does really help!

raconteur wrote:
I always felt that "a plan to impose" just sounds better than "a plan for imposing"

Agree, I elimilate right away D and E. But I ignore C, even though it sounds best, because somebody here say "joinly" cannot modify noun-adopting.

raconteur wrote:
Thirteen states from all regions" who JOINTLY (meaning, all together as a group) adopt stricter emission limits.

Thanks for this finding. OA is C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [3]
Given Kudos: 116
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V35
Send PM
Thirteen states from all regions of the country announced a plan to [#permalink]
Kudos
According to what Ron said in the video 20120216--Use of -ING forms.

I have dedicated my career to the exposure of injustice in the court system.

--> I am somehow involved with the exposure of injustice, but not necessarily directly (e.g., maybe I donate $ to a charity that does this)

I have dedicated my career to exposing of injustice in the court system.

--> I am the one who has actually been exposing injustice.

Verbal nouns (like "the exposure") are IMPERSONAL: they *don't* convey the idea that the subject is directly involved.

Gerunds generally *do* convey the idea that the subject is directly involved in the process.

In this question, the 13 states are actually the entities that are going to adopt emissions restrictions.

Originally posted by MartinTao on 29 Mar 2019, 22:49.
Last edited by MartinTao on 30 Mar 2019, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
MartinTao wrote:
According to what Ron said during the video 20120216--Use of -ING forms.

--> I am somehow involved with the exposure of injustice, but not necessarily directly (e.g., maybe I donate $ to a charity that does this)

Verbal nouns (like "the exposure") are IMPERSONAL: they *don't* convey the idea that the subject is directly involved.

Gerunds generally *do* convey the idea that the subject is directly involved in the process.

In this question, the 13 states are actually the entities that are going to adopt emissions restrictions.

your point is great. I want to comment

doing can refer to subject or a noun in sentence, depending on the idiomatic pattern . it is not alway that doing can refer to the subject or a noun in a sentence. this point make english harder .

I invest in stocks by reading business books
i read the book for learning english
I do not learn english here. learning here is still general

my dicussion is somehow not relevant to our problem because on gmat we do not need to be so far. just know that normal noun and doing can be different in that the first dose not refer to any subject while the second do.
Director
Director
Send PM
Thirteen states from all regions of the country announced a plan to [#permalink]
the thing to learn from choice C
"adopting" logically modifies "to impose". this is strange thing to learn because normally, "by doing" modifies the main verb of the main clause, but not "to do". consider

I learn gmat by reading posting on gmatclub.

in this sentence, "by reading" modifies " learn", the main tensed verb.

so, choice c is a strange pattern to learn.

Originally posted by thangvietnam on 17 May 2019, 21:00.
Last edited by thangvietnam on 16 Nov 2020, 04:35, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Send PM
in fact, "jointly adopting" modifies " to impose". this is idiom. "by doing " modifies "to do" or a finite form of verb, "is, leaned...". to show how the verb, finite or non-finite is used.

Originally posted by thangvietnam on 12 Sep 2019, 00:29.
Last edited by thangvietnam on 13 Jan 2022, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
for imposing new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines, and jointly adopting..........Jointly adopting shows as states are adopting.
announced to impose
announced for imposing - announcement is not the reason for imposing rather a purpose to impose.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Can someone explain why option B is incorrect?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 133 [0]
Given Kudos: 522
Send PM
asitrout wrote:

The use of the underlined part is incorrect as it suggests that the agent which caused the pollution is the the joint adoption of emmision limits.
'Pollution by truck and bus engine' is correct instead of 'Pollution by the joint adoption' .

Also 'by ' can be followed by a verb that will tell us how 13 states announced the plan . But in this choice 'by' is followed by noun 'the joint adoption of'.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63654 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
asitrout wrote:

In (B), "pollution by the joint adoption" seems to imply that the joint adoption is causing or creating pollution! Of course that doesn't make sense. Sure, you can figure out the logical, intended meaning if you think about it for a bit -- but (C) expresses that meaning in a much clearer way.

Also, in (C), "controls on pollution" makes it immediately clear and obvious that "pollution" is the thing being controlled. In (B), "new controls on truck and bus engines' pollution" isn't as clear because there's a lot of stuff in between "controls on" and the thing actually being controlled ("pollution"). The reader might think, "wait, are we controlling trucks and buses? No... their engines? No... ah, okay, it's the pollution from truck and bus engines. Why didn't they say that in the first place (like they did in C)?".

Neither of those represent definite errors in (B), but (C) is a clearer and better option.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 305
Concentration: Real Estate, Sustainability
GPA: 3.7
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM

'in that' means 'for the reason that'. By adopting emission limits answers the question of HOW the 13 states plan on imposing new controls, and not the REASON FOR it.

MartinTao explained it best in this post.

MartinTao wrote:
According to what Ron said in the video 20120216--Use of -ING forms.

Plan to - correct.
By jointly adopting - correct.

Plan to - used to covey what action is to be done. (Eg : I plan to work hard to get a good score.)
Plan for - used to express a goal/purpose.
(Eg. My plans for getting into a good MBA school are
The 13 states plan for a pollution free future.)

13 states announced a plan AND jointly adopting emission limits...
the sentence doesn't work

Same issue as D
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts