It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 05:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Thirteen states from all regions of the country announced a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1402 [0], given: 1

Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member
Thirteen states from all regions of the country announced a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2008, 01:08
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (00:46) correct 21% (00:39) wrong based on 231 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

74. Thirteen states from all regions of the country announced a plan to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines in that they will jointly adopt emission limits that would be far stricter than the federal rules.

(A) to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines in that they will jointly adopt
(B) to impose new controls on truck and bus engines' pollution by the joint adoption of
(C) to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines by jointly adopting
(D) for imposing new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines, and jointly adopting
(E) for imposing new controls on truck and bus engine pollution in the joint adoption of
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Thirteen states from all regions of the country announced a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2008, 01:22
D for me.
A) To impose..... in that is awkward
B) Pollution by... should be pollution from
C) Adopting does not agree with rest of the sentence
E) Imposing......and adoption do not agree

-Albert
My GMAT Preparation: http://albertrahul.blogspot.com/search/label/GMAT

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2008, 01:23
As ugly as it is, I'm going with D.

This is tricky because the use of "jointly adopting" indicates that there are TWO separate things being adopted here.

A. "in that they will jointly" is wordy/awkward. Also, "they" has an unclear referent - could be states, controls, or engines.
B. "to impose...by the joint adoption of..." is unclear. The use of "joint adoption" in here isn't clear as to what TWO things are being adopted. If it were just adopting new emission limits (ONE thing), then no need to add "joint adoption".
C. Same as B. Why add "jointly" here? In this example, the states are only adopting stricter emission limits.
D. This clearly separates TWO issues: imposing new controls on truck/bus engines AND adopting stricter emission limits. "imposing...adopting..." is also parallel.
E. "in the joint adoption of stricter emission limits" -- again, where is the JOINT? Where is the other thing?

I don't personally like "a plan for imposing...." but in this case it works.

sondenso wrote:
74. Thirteen states from all regions of the country announced a plan to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines in that they will jointly adopt emission limits that would be far stricter than the federal rules.

(A) to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines in that they will jointly adopt
(B) to impose new controls on truck and bus engines' pollution by the joint adoption of
(C) to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines by jointly adopting
(D) for imposing new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines, and jointly adopting
(E) for imposing new controls on truck and bus engine pollution in the joint adoption of

SVP
SVP

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2008, 01:31
All of you fell in the trap! :P

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2008, 01:35
hmmm...whats OA :-D
sondenso wrote:
All of you fell in the trap! :P

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2008, 02:59
I ll pick up C on this one

I can explain my answer if it happens to be the correct choice

Waiting for the OA :-)

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 4

Schools: Oxford

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2008, 12:48
I’ll also pick C.

Not quite sure, but I think that in (D), it should be “a plan for imposing new controls…” “and for jointly adopting…” (without comma); otherwise it’s not parallel.

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 4

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2008, 13:52

Thirteen states from all regions announced a plan … and jointly adopting emission limits…

Answer: D

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2008, 15:41
I'm between B and C.
C looks better, but I'd really like to know the rationale behind the answer

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2008, 18:24
Ah crap! I originally picked D but the answer has got to be C. Here's why...

I originally thought that "jointly" was indicating that there are TWO things being adopted in this instance. That's why I went with D the first time because it clearly separates TWO things: imposing new controls on truck/bus engines AND adopting emission limits.

However, this is not really correct and actually alters the intent of the sentence. "Jointly" in this context isn't referring to two separate things, instead, it is referring to the "Thirteen states from all regions" who JOINTLY (meaning, all together as a group) adopt stricter emission limits.

So here we go for C:

Thirteen states from all regions of the country announced a plan to impose new controls on pollution from truck and bus engines by jointly adopting emission limits that would be far stricter than the federal rules

There's my explanation. I always felt that "a plan to impose" just sounds better than "a plan for imposing" as another side note. Ugh tricky question! :)

sondenso wrote:

SVP
SVP

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2008, 18:40
Racouteur, the second explaination does really help!

raconteur wrote:
I always felt that "a plan to impose" just sounds better than "a plan for imposing"

Agree, I elimilate right away D and E. But I ignore C, even though it sounds best, because somebody here say "joinly" cannot modify noun-adopting.

raconteur wrote:
Thirteen states from all regions" who JOINTLY (meaning, all together as a group) adopt stricter emission limits.

Thanks for this finding. OA is C

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2014, 23:45
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 43

Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: HKUST '15, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-26-2014
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2014, 08:05
I will go with C.
Can any of the Mod please update the OA ?

Success has been and continues to be defined as Getting up one more time than you have been knocked down.

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 43

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 06:36
The correct idiom in this context is ‘plan to impose’ … this eliminates D and E.

This sentence needs a common construction: ‘by + verb-ing’. 'By' is used when you describe the method used to accomplish (HOW) something - exactly what is done in this sentence. The sentence is explaining how the states are going to accomplish the stated goal.

If we say:

You should study daily. By doing so, you will improve consistently.

Or

One can’t become smarter by facing the same challenges every day.

A and B are wrong because they don’t use ‘by + verb-ing’ constructions.

Correct: C

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 855

Re: Thirteen states from all regions of the country announced a   [#permalink] 07 Sep 2017, 06:36

Thirteen states from all regions of the country announced a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap