GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 13:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Thirty years ago, deer and elk in selected parts of the Rocky Mountain

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Thirty years ago, deer and elk in selected parts of the Rocky Mountain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 23:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (02:00) correct 47% (02:18) wrong based on 284 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Thirty years ago, deer and elk in selected parts of the Rocky Mountains were first discovered with a condition known as wasting disease. In 1970, two percent of the deer and elk killed by hunters were diagnosed with the disease. In 1995, that percentage had grown to six percent. This increase in the incidence of the disease proves that wasting disease has become much more prevalent in the last twenty-five years.

If true, which one of the following selections most seriously weakens the author’s conclusion?

(A) Wasting disease has not been discovered in domestic livestock or in moose or bighorn sheep, which are also found in significant numbers in the Rocky Mountains.
(B) Wasting disease tends to make deer and elk lethargic, making them more easily killed by hunters.
(C) Since it was first reported, wasting disease has occasionally been diagnosed in deer outside the Rocky Mountains.
(D) Hunters have grown more reluctant to cooperate with the authorities in reporting their deer and elk harvest, because if wasting disease is diagnosed in their harvest, the meat will be destroyed.
(E) It is very difficult to diagnose wasting disease more than twenty-four hours after death, so many cases of the disease have gone undiagnosed.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Director
Director
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Thirty years ago, deer and elk in selected parts of the Rocky Mountain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2017, 19:43
rohan2345 wrote:
Thirty years ago, deer and elk in selected parts of the Rocky Mountains were first discovered with a condition known as wasting disease. In 1970, two percent of the deer and elk killed by hunters were diagnosed with the disease. In 1995, that percentage had grown to six percent. This increase in the incidence of the disease proves that wasting disease has become much more prevalent in the last twenty-five years.

If true, which one of the following selections most seriously weakens the author’s conclusion?

(A) Wasting disease has not been discovered in domestic livestock or in moose or bighorn sheep, which are also found in significant numbers in the Rocky Mountains.
(B) Wasting disease tends to make deer and elk lethargic, making them more easily killed by hunters.
(C) Since it was first reported, wasting disease has occasionally been diagnosed in deer outside the Rocky Mountains.
(D) Hunters have grown more reluctant to cooperate with the authorities in reporting their deer and elk harvest, because if wasting disease is diagnosed in their harvest, the meat will be destroyed.
(E) It is very difficult to diagnose wasting disease more than twenty-four hours after death, so many cases of the disease have gone undiagnosed.

Doubt on OA..

The disease make deer lethargic .Hence ,they get killed by hunters.

In both the time frame ,argument is comparing effect of same disease on deer pop . How can we assume that in second case more killing happened because of symptoms. The Disease is same , so symptoms will be same in both the cases.Moreover,Nothing is mentioned about incubation period of disease .
Please advice .
Intern
Intern
S
Re: Thirty years ago, deer and elk in selected parts of the Rocky Mountain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2017, 22:26
sobby wrote:
rohan2345 wrote:

Doubt on OA..

The disease make deer lethargic .Hence ,they get killed by hunters.

In both the time frame ,argument is comparing effect of same disease on deer pop . How can we assume that in second case more killing happened because of symptoms. The Disease is same , so symptoms will be same in both the cases.Moreover,Nothing is mentioned about incubation period of disease .
Please advice .

Agreed, if the initial period saw 2% of deer and elk having those disease, then how can say that the increase to 6% is because of the symptoms of the same? Shouldn't the deer and elk show similar symptoms irrespective whenever it is ?

Saying that, because the deers are lethargic and can't move hence they are killed, and since the number is 6% now, it weakens the argument, makes no sense!
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: IIMA , IIMA PGPX"18
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.91
Reviews Badge
Re: Thirty years ago, deer and elk in selected parts of the Rocky Mountain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 00:59
(A) Wasting disease has not been discovered in domestic livestock or in moose or bighorn sheep, which are also found in significant numbers in the Rocky Mountains. - irrelevant

(B) Wasting disease tends to make deer and elk lethargic, making them more easily killed by hunters. - correct

(C) Since it was first reported, wasting disease has occasionally been diagnosed in deer outside the Rocky Mountains. - irrelevant

(D) Hunters have grown more reluctant to cooperate with the authorities in reporting their deer and elk harvest, because if wasting disease is diagnosed in their harvest, the meat will be destroyed. - it in fact strengthens the argument. Incorrect

(E) It is very difficult to diagnose wasting disease more than twenty-four hours after death, so many cases of the disease have gone
undiagnosed - it strengthens the argument.The current actual number can rise the perccent. Incorrect

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need.

“The great secret of true success, of true happiness, is this: the man or woman who asks for no return, the perfectly unselfish person, is the most successful.”
-Swami Vivekananda

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V29
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 01:52
rohan2345 wrote:

I think its B as the deers and elks were killed earlier also and it doesn't make the disease prevalent.

Remember, if it is a GMAT question, it can be simplified elegantly.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 19:50
Except B, all the other options are just bad. B is clearly the best among the lot, although not very convincing.

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 13:33
I still don't get how the correct answer should be B).

If the disease makes deer lethargic, then this effect has been constant over time. Thus, if more deer with this disease get shot, the increase can't be explain by the lehthargy. This argument is irrelevant imo.

The most logical answer to me was D), because if hunters hesitate to cooperate with the authorities they might not report every deer they shot. It is more probable that they don't report a dead deer with disease than one without disease, but we can't know that for sure. Hence, if hunters report lower numbers overall the statistic might perhaps not be representative. I am aware that this explanation isn't too satisyfing, but imo it's still better than the remaining answer choices.

My goal: 700 GMAT score - REACHED :-) | My debrief - first attempt 710 (Q44,V41,IR7)

If I could help you with my answer, consider giving me Kudos

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2018, 03:52
Masterscorp wrote:

If the disease makes deer lethargic, then this effect has been constant over time. Thus, if more deer with this disease get shot, the increase can't be explain by the lehthargy. This argument is irrelevant imo.

The most logical answer to me was D), because if hunters hesitate to cooperate with the authorities they might not report every deer they shot. It is more probable that they don't report a dead deer with disease than one without disease, but we can't know that for sure. Hence, if hunters report lower numbers overall the statistic might perhaps not be representative. I am aware that this explanation isn't too satisyfing, but imo it's still better than the remaining answer choices.

Hi Masterscorp.

My line of pre-thinking before analysing answer choices were exactly as yours and chose D. Still not convinced why B.
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2018, 12:22
hellosanthosh2k2 wrote:
Masterscorp wrote:

Hi Masterscorp.

My line of pre-thinking before analysing answer choices were exactly as yours and chose D. Still not convinced why B.

Hi hellosanthosh2k2,

it's great to hear that you agree with my thinking. I guess we just have to deal with the fact that the correct answer given by the author of this question remains unclear to us.
We will move on and answer other questions, which are in line with your thinking, correctly - that's the spirit :-) :thumbup:

My goal: 700 GMAT score - REACHED :-) | My debrief - first attempt 710 (Q44,V41,IR7)

If I could help you with my answer, consider giving me Kudos

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2018, 01:08
rohan2345 wrote:

except for inference question, i alway try to criticize argument immediately after reading the argument. because criticization open up the way for answering all of cr problem.
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 14:00
Masterscorp wrote:

Choice D must be INCORRECT. Because it is strengthening the argument main point. When the hunters hiding and do not reporting about their hunting, that means, still there are more evidence of such diseases that could be found, hence the increase in incidence is even very large than expected. Perfect strengthen choice. so eliminate it.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Thirty years ago, deer and elk in selected parts of the Rocky Mountain &nbs [#permalink] 07 Mar 2018, 14:00

Thirty years ago, deer and elk in selected parts of the Rocky Mountain

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap