Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   EXCEPTx   Weakenx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1012 [227]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [43]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [11]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [5]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in Town T. Ther [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ariagrwl wrote:
why not "c" since c is telling about time and time has nothing to do with knowledge. so, it is not weakening the sentence

Quote:
A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in Town T. Therefore, the citizens of Town S are better informed about major world events than are the citizens of Town T.

Each of the following, if true, weakens the conclusion above EXCEPT:

(A) Town S has a larger population than Town T.

(B) Most citizens of Town T work in Town S and buy their newspapers there.

(C) The average citizen of Town S spends less time reading newspapers than does the average citizen of Town T.

(D) A weekly newspaper restricted to the coverage of local events is published in Town S.

(E) The average newsstand price of newspapers sold in Town S is lower than the average price of newspapers sold in Town T.

The passage tell us that more newspapers are sold in Town S that in Town T. But does that necessarily mean that the people in Town S read more news than people in Town T? The number of newspapers sold doesn't necessarily tell us anything about the amount of news that is read.

For example, maybe most people in Town S buy a newspaper, read a few headlines, and then throw it out. Or perhaps the newspapers sold in Town S are not very thorough (i.e. do not contain many news stories).

The people in Town T might buy fewer newspapers on average. But maybe the average newspaper in Town T is much longer and contains more news. Maybe the average person in Town T spends much more time actually reading the news, even though they don't buy as many newspapers.

Choice (C) would indeed weaken the conclusion, so it must be eliminated.

And welcome to GMAT Club, ariagrwl!
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [8]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Re: A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in Town T. Ther [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in Town T. Therefore, the citizens of Town S are better informed about major world events than are the citizens of Town T.

(A) Town S has a larger population than Town T. -Weakener. If 500 out of 1000 buy newspaper in S and if 90 out of 100 buy newspaper in T then the argument goes for a toss

(B) Most citizens of Town T work in Town S and buy their newspapers there. -Clear weakener

(C) The average citizen of Town S spends less time reading newspapers than does the average citizen of Town T. -Clear weakener

(D) A weekly newspaper restricted to the coverage of local events is published in Town S. -The sales of a local newspaper is the cause of higher sales in S than in T. Thus, people in S won't be more educated about the "world" news than people in T. Weakener

(E) The average newsstand price of newspapers sold in Town S is lower than the average price of newspapers sold in Town T. -Irrelevant to the argument and thus correct choice
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [1]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
nightblade354 VeritasPrepKarishma

Can you please help me out here with my reasoning and PoE?

Quote:

Premise: Greater number of newspapers sold in S than in T.
Conclusion: Citizens of S are more informed than of T.
A huge leap of sales of newspapers vs people being educated from them is made here.

Possible weakener: Internet is cheaper in S and all major news are covered on net.

Quote:

Cross out anything in answer choice that weakens above argument:

Quote:
(A) Town S has a larger population than Town T.

gmatexam439 I could not follow you in explanations. How is number of people residing in either town
linked with the knowledge they gain from newspapers?

Quote:
(B) Most citizens of Town T work in Town S and buy their newspapers there.

Same query as above: How is working in a particular town linked with not gaining / gaining
knowledge about major events?

Quote:
(C) The average citizen of Town S spends less time reading newspapers than does the average citizen of Town T.

GMATNinja , I apologize that in few of rare instances, I could not understand your earlier explanation.
The average here refers to fraction : total no of news articles read to total population?

Quote:
(D) A weekly newspaper restricted to the coverage of local events is published in Town S.

Quote:
(E) The average newsstand price of newspapers sold in Town S is lower than the average price of newspapers sold in Town T.

gmatexam439 but does not as in (D) , (E) too provides an alternative explanation (sales) than the number of newspapers sold that
are responsible for people to gather more world news. If average price of newspapers in S is low average price of newspapers
in T (here average means: total price of newspapers / total no of newspapers sold) then more no of newspapers are sold in S (reducing denominaotor
of fraction will increase overall fraction)
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5734 [4]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
adkikani,

Glad to help. (E) is absolutely, positively, 100 percently the answer. Who cares about price? If more newspapers are sold, how does price affect an already sold newspaper? It doesn't. This question isn't posed around income or revenue, it is about the information gathered. We don't care how much that information costs. This doesn't STRENGTHEN the argument, but it doesn't weaken it either. Hence, this is the answer. If you feel confused, I believe the people above will answer your inquiries about their specific posts, but know that if one answer is 100% correct and irrefutable, go with it!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [5]
Given Kudos: 139
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
(A) Town S has a larger population than Town T. - If the town has S has more population than town T and the conclusion did not take this into account. So, this weakens the conclusion as it cannot be better informed based on sales.

(B) Most citizens of Town T work in Town S and buy their newspapers there. - This accounts for some sales in S and so increase in sales in not totally accountable to informedness.

(C) The average citizen of Town S spends less time reading newspapers than does the average citizen of Town T. -Buying the newspaper does not guarantee the factor of informedness. As it is stated that people in town S read less than people of town T. This weakens the conclusion.

(D) A weekly newspaper restricted to the coverage of local events is published in Town S. - This increases the possibility of town S to have more knowledge and may weaken but not sure.

(E) The average newsstand price of newspapers sold in Town S is lower than the average price of newspapers sold in Town T. - As the prices are low and sales are high, this implies that more people are buying and there is a possibility that they are getting more informed so this option kind of strengthens the conclusion.

Amond D and E.
I choose E.

Can anyone explain a good reason why E and not D?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.94
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja

Could I possibly ask you for your take on answer choice D? I was deciding between D and E and went with D.

My reasoning: if there is one newspaper that focuses on local news then so what? From the prompt we know that there is a greater number of newspapers sold in Town S. Thank you.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [8]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Xin Cho wrote:
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja

Could I possibly ask you for your take on answer choice D? I was deciding between D and E and went with D.

My reasoning: if there is one newspaper that focuses on local news then so what? From the prompt we know that there is a greater number of newspapers sold in Town S. Thank you.

Yes, we know that a greater number of newspapers are sold in town S. On the basis of this, we are saying that people of S are more well informed about GLOBAL EVENTS.

Now, if we come to know that one of the newspapers is local news only, it does bring our conclusion in question since our conclusion is based on number of newspapers sold only. If some of those sold do not discuss global events, we are not sure that people of A are more well informed about global events. Note that a weakener needs to bring doubt regarding the conclusion. It doesn't need to prove that the conclusion is false.
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2769 [2]
Given Kudos: 1510
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
A greater number of newspapers are sold in Town S than in Town T. Ther [#permalink]
Kudos
According to the passage, the citizens of Town S are better informed about major world events than are the citizens of Town T because the number of newspapers sold in Town S are greater than in Town T.

We have to find a point which don't weakens the passage, that doesn't mean it have to strengthen passage either.

(A) Town S has a larger population than Town T.(This weaken the passage, let's say the population of town S is 10 million and Town T is 5 million. So even if 4 million purchase newpaper in Town T and Town S people purchase 6 million paper. The people of Town T are more informed as 80% population of Town T are reading newspaper as compared to 60% of Town S)(Correct)

(B) Most citizens of Town T work in Town S and buy their newspapers there.(So if the population of Town S consist of population of Town T as well, the population of Town T is more informed than Town S people as they are purchasing newspaper in Town S hence increasing the purchase unit of town S but not increasing the information among town S people) (Correct)

(C) The average citizen of Town S spends less time reading newspapers than does the average citizen of Town T. (Average is total reading time/total population so if average of town S is less than town T, town T people read more newspaper. Weakening the statement) (Correct)

(D) A weekly newspaper restricted to the coverage of local events is published in Town S.(if the newspaper is town S is covering only local news, then we can't say they are more informed about everything than town T, information consist all type of information, local or domestically. Even though they are not talking about town T people all we need to prove is that town S people are not exactly well informed. Weakening the statement) (Correct)

(E) The average newsstand price of newspapers sold in Town S is lower than the average price of newspapers sold in Town T.(The statement have nothing to do with either strengthening or weakening the statement, the price of newspaper stand has nothing to do information level of either town) (Incorrect)

Answer is E

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [1]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM