GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 18:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

This year, Williamsboro High School introduced a peer tutoring program

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
This year, Williamsboro High School introduced a peer tutoring program  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 10:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (01:29) correct 63% (01:46) wrong based on 176 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

This year, Williamsboro High School introduced a peer tutoring program in which students who performed poorly in class were tutored by those who performed well in class. The average scores of the students being tutored were higher before the tutoring than afterwards. Clearly peer tutoring programs do more harm academically than good.

Each of the following, if true, would weaken the argument above EXCEPT:

A) Students who were tutored in the program have exhibited greatly improved study habits and an increased desire to learn.

B) The average scores of students who were not in the tutoring program declined by an even greater amount over the tutoring period.

C) The majority of students who were tutored in the peer-tutoring program enjoyed the program and preferred the tutoring to their regular classes.

D) The course work for which students were responsible at the end of the tutoring period was significantly more challenging than that at the beginning of the tutoring period.

E) Most of the students tutored in a peer tutoring program at Gainesville High School showed marked improvements in their test scores.

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with all my posts...

Please check if it is working with this post......

is it?....

Anyways...Thanks for trying :cool:

Intern
Intern
B
Re: This year, Williamsboro High School introduced a peer tutoring program  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 20:38
Got confused between A and C. But finally chose A as it talks about the improvement of students.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
This year, Williamsboro High School introduced a peer tutoring program  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Sep 2018, 21:39
Between A & C definitely.

A improves them academically(or so I am assuming since an option such as C exists).

C is way off of what we need. Enjoying & tutoring have nothing to do with each other.So clear C.

Comparing options is I think the best way to resolve this question.

Originally posted by redskull1 on 23 Sep 2018, 21:19.
Last edited by redskull1 on 23 Sep 2018, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: This year, Williamsboro High School introduced a peer tutoring program  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 21:33
This year, Williamsboro High School introduced a peer tutoring program in which students who performed poorly in class were tutored by those who performed well in class. The average scores of the students being tutored were higher before the tutoring than afterwards. Clearly peer tutoring programs do more harm academically than good.

Each of the following, if true, would weaken the argument above EXCEPT:

A) Students who were tutored in the program have exhibited greatly improved study habits and an increased desire to learn.
Weakens the argument that peer tutoring does not work based on scores, since the students are clearly benefiting from it.
B) The average scores of students who were not in the tutoring program declined by an even greater amount over the tutoring period.
Gives an explanation to why the overall scores went down, and questions if the argument considered this. Weakens the argument.
C) The majority of students who were tutored in the peer-tutoring program enjoyed the program and preferred the tutoring to their regular classes.
Does not weakens the argument that peer tutoring does not work based on scores, rather discusses that students preferred this over normal classes. No information given that can weaken the argument, or strengthen the argument.
D) The course work for which students were responsible at the end of the tutoring period was significantly more challenging than that at the beginning of the tutoring period.
Gives an alternative explanation of why the scores went down based on challenge level, weakens the argument that peer tutoring does not work
E) Most of the students tutored in a peer tutoring program at Gainesville High School showed marked improvements in their test scores.
Weaken the argument on peer tutoring, because it clearly worked in this school.

I am selecting C, as that statement does not weaken
Manager
Manager
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 00:47
I was confused between A and C and chose A incorrectly. Can someone please explain how C is the correct choice and why do we eliminate A?
Thanks in advance

Please press Kudos if this helped :-)

“Going in one more round when you don't think you can, that's what makes all the difference in your life.”

Manager
Manager
G
Schools: ISB '20, IIMA
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 01:00
Sreyoshi007 wrote:
I was confused between A and C and chose A incorrectly. Can someone please explain how C is the correct choice and why do we eliminate A?
Thanks in advance

Sreyoshi007
Conclusion : Clearly peer tutoring programs do more harm academically than good.

So we need to find the option that doesn't weaken this argument.

This option states that students who were tutored exhibited greatly improved study habits and an increased desire to learn, this statement contradicts with the conclusion (Clearly peer tutoring programs do more harm academically than good.)

Hope it helps.

Sailing through rough waters. Stars & few kudos will steer me past.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 18:30
In the passage we are talking about WHS school so why option E is wrong which is talking about GHS school ?
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 07:50
I chose B.
It certainly does not weaken the conclusion on the contrary it strengthens the conclusion.
Can some one explain why B can not be the answer?

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

GMAT Club Bot
Re: This year, Williamsboro High School introduced a peer tutoring program &nbs [#permalink] 26 Sep 2018, 07:50

This year, Williamsboro High School introduced a peer tutoring program

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap