Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Subject Verb Agreementx   Verb Tense/Formx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 225
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Thomas Eakins’ powerful style and his choices of subject—the advances [#permalink]
Hi

Can anyone elaborate on Parallelism marker ....as.....as in this question. What structure is required for this marker and how is it maintained in choice B.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Thomas Eakins’ powerful style and his choices of subject—the advances [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Mahsan

Why do you think as…as is a parallelism marker? It is a comparison marker. It is used in such cases as-- as tall as the Himalayas, as big as China, as tough as GMAT, etc. You see the real structure is -- as adjective as a noun. If you want parallelism in play here, it must really be as noun as noun ex: as the Himalayas as the Taj Mahal - or as tall as tough; such a structure never exists
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thomas Eakins’ powerful style and his choices of subject—the advances [#permalink]
daagh
I want to ask 3 questions about the correct answer. Can you help me?
I noticed it's a X as...as Y comparison, but I couldn't clearly understand the X and Y elements.
I thought it's maybe:
X=T's powerful style and his choices of subject were disturbing to his own time
Y=they(T's powerful style and his choices of subject) are compelling for ours
Is it right?
Can you help me to change this sentence's order to make it clearer?
So this sentence compares different opinions in two eras about T's thought, right?

Thank you very much!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1321 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
vivektripathi wrote:
Thomas Eakins’ powerful style and his choices of subject—the advances in modern surgery, the discipline of sport, the strains of individuals in tension with society or even with themselves—was as disturbing to his own time as it is compelling for ours.

(A) was as disturbing to his own time as it is
(B) were as disturbing to his own time as they are
(C) has been as disturbing in his own time as they are
(D) had been as disturbing in his own time as it was
(E) have been as disturbing in his own time as

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/01/02/books/disturbing-once-compelling-now.html

His uncompromising realism and exacting scrutiny of the human situation give a clue to his growing appeal today. The recent currents in realism attracting our artists and the anxieties permeating modern society have together opened our eyes afresh to Eakins's powerful style of painting, as disturbing to his own time as it is compelling for ours. American art has generally felt most comfortable with the modes of realism, and Eakins has emerged as the anchor of that tradition. His choices of subject - the advances in modern surgery, the discipline of sport, the strains on individuals in tension with society or even with themselves - also link his world with our own.

(A) was as disturbing to his own time as it is - Wrong: 1) SV 2) Pronoun
(B) were as disturbing to his own time as they are - Correct
(C) has been as disturbing in his own time as they are - Wrong: 1) SV 2) Verb
(D) had been as disturbing in his own time as it was - Wrong: 1) 2 Verb issues 2) Pronoun
(E) have been as disturbing in his own time as - Wrong: 1) Verb
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Thomas Eakins’ powerful style and his choices of subject—the advances [#permalink]
Dear GMATNinja DmitryFarber GMATGuruNY AjiteshArun MartyTargetTestPrep IanStewart,

...—the advances in modern surgery, the discipline of sport, the strains of individuals in tension with society or even with themselves—...

According to non-underlined part, why is "and" absent in connecting 3-item list in the modifier?
IMO, there should be "and" before "the strains of individuals..."

Originally posted by kornn on 24 May 2020, 03:34.
Last edited by kornn on 20 Sep 2020, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Can someone explain why my reasoning for E is wrong?

I know that the present perfect can be used to show effect. Even though his time is over, the effect or the fact that it is disturbing to his time period will continue forever...so it should be okay to use.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
sislam04 wrote:

I know that the present perfect can be used to show effect. Even though his time is over, the effect or the fact that it is disturbing to his time period will continue forever...so it should be okay to use.

Have you tried reviewing this post?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
sislam04 wrote:

Wow it’s the legend himself responding! So honored. Yes I did see that post but my point is I can make the case that in present day 2020 the fact that those things were disturbing to his time is still true. I see the way you reasoned it in that post, but I guess my question is why can’t this also be a valid interpretation?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sislam04 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
sislam04 wrote:

Wow it’s the legend himself responding! So honored. Yes I did see that post but my point is I can make the case that in present day 2020 the fact that those things were disturbing to his time is still true. I see the way you reasoned it in that post, but I guess my question is why can’t this also be a valid interpretation?

Haha, don't inflate my ego! ;)

Consider this on its own: "Thomas Eakins’ powerful style and his choices of subject have been disturbing in his own time." This doesn't work because of the modifier "in his own time" -- we're talking about something that happened at a specific time in the past, not an action that continued up to the present.

Yes, it would make sense to say, "Thomas Eakins’ powerful style and his choices of subject have been disturbing SINCE his own time." In this case, the time period of the action continues to the present, so the verb tense is appropriate.

We're comparing two things: (1) how disturbing his style/choices WERE in his own time and (2) how compelling his style/choices ARE for our time. We are NOT comparing: (1) how disturbing his style/choices have been SINCE his own time and (2) how compelling his style/choices have been for our time.

The "in his own time" tells us without question that the act of being disturbed happened in the past, so (E) cannot work.

I hope that helps a bit!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
Thomas Eakins’ powerful style and his choices of subject—the advances in modern surgery, the discipline of sport, the strains of individuals in tension with society or even with themselves—was as disturbing to his own time as it is compelling for ours.

(A) was as disturbing to his own time as it is This sentence has a compound subject – two items joined by ‘and’ - “powerful style and his choices of subject”. This is plural. Singular verb "was" is incorrect. Eliminate.

(B) were as disturbing to his own time as they are Correct answer.

(C) has been as disturbing in his own time as they are Same SVA error due to singular "has" as in (A). Eliminate.

(D) had been as disturbing in his own time as it was Use of singular pronoun "it" is incorrect for the same reason as (A) and (C). Eliminate.

(E) have been as disturbing in his own time as Use of present perfect "have been" to refer to an event solely in the past ("disturbing in his own time") is incorrect. Eliminate.

Hope this helps.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM

Thomas Eakins’ powerful style and his choices of subject are plural and must direct plural verbs.

(A) was as disturbing to his own time as it is- was and it is singular, but Thomas Eakins’ powerful style and his choices of subject are plural.
(B) were as disturbing to his own time as they are- >Okay. Let's keep it.
(C) has been as disturbing in his own time as they are- > has is singular, but Thomas Eakins’ powerful style and his choices of subject are plural.
(D) had been as disturbing in his own time as it was-> it is singular, but Thomas Eakins’ powerful style and his choices of subject are plural.
(E) have been as disturbing in his own time as-> Pronoun missed in last.

So, I think B. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
GMATNinja
In the non underlined part it says "Thomas Eakins’ powerful style and his choices of subject".
But I suppose there's no logical antecedent to pronoun "his", since it can't refer to a possessive.

Please help me if this logic is correct?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
okdone wrote:
GMATNinja
In the non underlined part it says "Thomas Eakins’ powerful style and his choices of subject".
But I suppose there's no logical antecedent to pronoun "his", since it can't refer to a possessive.

Please help me if this logic is correct?

There are very few "rules" that are followed 100% of the time on the GMAT. It is, after all, a reasoning test, not a do-you-know-the-rules test. There are a couple of examples of a pronoun properly referring back to a possessive noun -- check out this official question, for instance.

In this particular case, notice also that the phrase "Thomas Eakins' powerful style" contains a possessive. "His" is also a possessive pronoun, and there's definitely no issue with a possessive pronoun referring back to a possessive noun.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Siddharthjain07 wrote:
GMATNinja i eliminated a,c and d . I'm stuck between b and e . Please help.

Take another look at (E): "have been as disturbing in his own time as compelling for ours."

"Have been" is the present perfect tense, which is used for an action that began in the past and continues into the present. But the action takes place "in his own time," which is in the past. (If the action really did continue into the present, it wouldn't make any sense to differentiate between his own time and ours, as they'd both be the present!) Because we want a past tense action, "were" is the correct form of the verb, and so (B) is better.

I hope that helps!

Hii! In E, is there a comparison issue too??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.24
Send PM
vivektripathi wrote:

(A) was as disturbing to his own time as it is
(B) were as disturbing to his own time as they are
(C) has been as disturbing in his own time as they are
(D) had been as disturbing in his own time as it was
(E) have been as disturbing in his own time as

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/01/02/books/disturbing-once-compelling-now.html

His uncompromising realism and exacting scrutiny of the human situation give a clue to his growing appeal today. The recent currents in realism attracting our artists and the anxieties permeating modern society have together opened our eyes afresh to Eakins's powerful style of painting, as disturbing to his own time as it is compelling for ours. American art has generally felt most comfortable with the modes of realism, and Eakins has emerged as the anchor of that tradition. His choices of subject - the advances in modern surgery, the discipline of sport, the strains on individuals in tension with society or even with themselves - also link his world with our own.

Subject is A and B(plural) so the necessary verb should agree with the plural subject leaving us with B and E.

In E, disturbing in his own time changes the meaning completely. The author is comparing the effects of the subject in two different time frames. B is clear, concise, and agrees with the number of subject by choosing as they are.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Siddharthjain07 wrote:
GMATNinja i eliminated a,c and d . I'm stuck between b and e . Please help.

Take another look at (E): "have been as disturbing in his own time as compelling for ours."

"Have been" is the present perfect tense, which is used for an action that began in the past and continues into the present. But the action takes place "in his own time," which is in the past. (If the action really did continue into the present, it wouldn't make any sense to differentiate between his own time and ours, as they'd both be the present!) Because we want a past tense action, "were" is the correct form of the verb, and so (B) is better.

I hope that helps!

Hii! In E, is there a comparison issue too??

Yes, if we ignore the tense issues in (E), we are left with a comparison issue. Take a look at this stripped down version (we'll leave out the problematic "in his own time" -- for more on that, make sure to check out this post):

"Eakins’ style and choices have been as disturbing as _____."

Because we have as disturbing as, we expect to fill that blank with something that is as disturbing as Eakin's style and choices. For example:

"Eakins’ style and choices have been as disturbing as his taste in music." - Here we have two things that are equally disturbing: his style and choices and his taste in music.

But in (E) we basically get:

"Eakins’ style and choices have been as disturbing as compelling." - We are expecting another noun that we can compare to style and choices, but instead we get another modifier (compelling).

We could perhaps say that "Eakins’ style and choices have been equally disturbing and compelling." But "... as disturbing as compelling" doesn't work.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Re: Thomas Eakins powerful style and his choices of subjectthe advances [#permalink]
b) is the correct answer
a) and c) have subject-verb agreement. Here in non underlined portion, there is a compound subject(plural) so we need a plural verb
d) In the non underlined section 'ours' Is there so we definitely need a present tense. So because of tenses, option d) is wrong
e) The intended meaning of the sentence is to show a comparison of earlier times with the present time. The use of have been(present perfect) shows that the action started in the past and still going in the present. There is no comparison present
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Thomas Eakins powerful style and his choices of subjectthe advances [#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts