Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2318 [7]
Given Kudos: 974
Concentration: Finance and accounting
Schools:Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
GPA: 4.0
WE 3: 10
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2318 [1]
Given Kudos: 974
Concentration: Finance and accounting
Schools:Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
WE 3: 10
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3944 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [1]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Re: Thomas Edison invented the first electric light bulb causing [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey guys,

Good question, so before it falls off the bottom of the page let me throw my hat in the ring behind choice C, as well.

This one is a classic logical timeline question (usually those are pure verb tense, but other elements apply). In B (and E), for example, saying that "a major recession happened when Edison invented..." makes it seem as though those were simultaneous events, and not a cause-and-effect, logical timeline.

C avoids this by using the modifiers " , causing a major recession", so that the action of invention is what (eventually) causes the recession - it wasn't a simultaneous event.

Often times when questions involve multiple verb tenses, modifiers that use time (like "in 1878,") or the word "when", it's helpful to draw up a logical timeline in your mind so that you can eliminate choices that violate it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Schools:ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
 Q48  V24 GMAT 2: 610  Q48  V27
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Send PM
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey guys,

Good question, so before it falls off the bottom of the page let me throw my hat in the ring behind choice C, as well.

This one is a classic logical timeline question (usually those are pure verb tense, but other elements apply). In B (and E), for example, saying that "a major recession happened when Edison invented..." makes it seem as though those were simultaneous events, and not a cause-and-effect, logical timeline.

C avoids this by using the modifiers " , causing a major recession", so that the action of invention is what (eventually) causes the recession - it wasn't a simultaneous event.

Often times when questions involve multiple verb tenses, modifiers that use time (like "in 1878,") or the word "when", it's helpful to draw up a logical timeline in your mind so that you can eliminate choices that violate it.

Dear brian
please throw some light why D is incorrect.... :? :? :?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
In the option C, doesn't it look like the bulb has caused the recession.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Warlock007 wrote:
please throw some light why D is incorrect.... :? :? :?

Main Clause in the Passive voice.

To reject wrong choices, we should also keep in mind that right answer should also give you the meaning that "it was not the first bulb only but the 'act of invention of bulb' that caused the recessions in Oil Industry"

My Chose C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey guys,

Brian/ Instructors,

while the answer is C beyond doubt for various reasons and i had the timeline (like 1978 and invention caused recession) in mind while working on this sc , i cant seem to come to terms with Brian's explanation for striking off B and E

agree that "a major recession happened when Edison invented..." makes it seem as though those were simultaneous events ,

but B actually states a recession was CAUSED when the bulb was invented ( does'nt the use of caused suggest one caused the other? )
similarly in E when Edison invented the bulb, it (invention) created a recession.

Again i know gramatically these sentences have mistakes and can be knocked off, but im more eager to know how these two sentences portray the 2 events to be simultaneous events so that i can analyze how i am being deceived by the wordings in these sentences or where im faltering.

can somebody help!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
metallicafan wrote:
+1 c 8-)

00:12 8-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Picked B but later realised that C is better. thx for explaining guys.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 2: 640  Q49  V28
Send PM
feruz77 wrote:
Thomas Edison invented the first electric light bulb causing a major recession in the oil industry, in 1878.
(A) Thomas Edison invented the first electric light bulb causing a major recession in the oil industry, in 1878.
(B) A major recession on 1878 in the oil industry was caused when Thomas Edison invented the first electric light bulb.
(C) In 1878, Thomas Edison invented the first electric light bulb, causing a major recession in the oil industry.
(D) The first electric light bulb was invented on 1878 by Thomas Edison, causing a major recession in the oil industry.
(E) When Thomas Edison, in 1878, invented the first electric light bulb, it created a major recession in the oil industry.

A - Incorrect - placement of 1n 1878 is incorrect
B - "A major recession on 1878" is incorrect
C - Correct
D - "was invented on 1878" is incorrect
E - "it created a major recession" ; "it" is ambiguous

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts