Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1421 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
Concentration: Statistics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Thomas Henry Huxley (1825−1895), one of Charles Darwin’s earliest and [#permalink]
I do not agree with the Question 3: in the passage, it is clearly stated that "feathers were replaced by scales because the feathers were not needed for". This clearly implies that: 1. There were feathers 2. They were no longer useful 3. They evolved to scales in other words: Scales evolved from feathers.

However, in the answer choice, it states that it is feathers that "might have evolved from the scales". X->Y is not same as X<-Y

Although I don't like this answer choice, B should be the answer
Because if there is at least 1 dinosaur with no feathers, this statement is true.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Schools: ISB '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: Thomas Henry Huxley (1825−1895), one of Charles Darwin’s earliest and [#permalink]
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
3. According to the passage, feathers on dinosaurs .
(A) were not used for flight - NO! We don't know this for sure
(B) were not always present at birth NO! We don't know this for sure
(C) were first noted by Huxley NO! the passage never says that it was FIRST noted by Huxley
(D) might have evolved from scales Perhaps: scope is her - "One possibility is that, in some creatures, feathers were replaced by scales because the feathers were not needed for warmth, recognition of family members, or mating rituals—uses that feathers were thought to have had for dinosaurs that did not fly." - [color=#ff00ff]Isnt the passage saying the opposite, if at all scales could have evolved from feathers not the other way round. Please let me know if i am missing something. Thanks!
(E) were a characteristic of all coelurosaurs [b] ALL coelurosaurs? we don't know for sure

Option D therefore is the most reasonable response
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 658
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
(A) were not used for flight (too extreme)
(B) were not always present at birth (may be - it's just a possibility, whereas the statement here is a concrete one: "were not...")
(C) were first noted by Huxley (uncertain, he's not mentioned in that context)
(D) might have evolved from scales ("might" is soft, and this fits some ideas in the passage)
(E) were a characteristic of all coelurosaurs (what about the one that did not)

Relevant piece of the passage: "A more fundamentally profound alternative is that, contrary to conventional scientific thought, birds and feathered dinosaurs developed feathers independently of each other rather than from a common ancestor."

This means that there is a possibility that the dinosaurs developed scales before some of them later developed feathers for some reasons. This may explain why this small creature had scales, unlike the majority of coelurosaurs that possessed feathers. "Convergent evolution", if I'm right, indicates that some animals may evolve features similar to those of other species, despite the fact that the species that evolved a certain feature and the species that was the first to develop that feature do not have a common ancestor.

I agree that D isn't a perfect answer, but it seems the best.

I hope this makes sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 658
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
4. Which of the following can be inferred from the passage?
(A) All adult coelurosaurs possessed feathers. (uhh, too extreme: "all")
(B) Coelurosaurs who did not need feathers for warmth or mating rituals shed those feathers for scales. (may be, but such an idea is presented only as a possibility)
(C) Scientists have reached a consensus that certain birds and dinosaurs are evolutionarily linked. ("certain" - OK, not too extreme)
(D) Thomas Henry Huxley believed in the idea of convergent evolution. (uncertain, he is not even mentioned in that context)
(E) Coeulurosaurs that did not have feathers instead had scales. (again, the passage gives some possible scenarios, not facts)

Relevant piece: "Today, few scientists challenge not only the link between birds and reptiles in general, but between birds and theropods, a group of bipedal saurischian dinosaurs."

This piece says that scientists tend not to argue about the evolutionary link between birds and reptiles in general, and even more specifically (further confirming agreement) between birds and theropods.

I hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
Thomas Henry Huxley (1825−1895), one of Charles Darwin’s earliest and most staunch defenders, as well as an influential naturalist in his own right, first observed the many similarities between reptiles and birds. Huxley noted, for example, that the wings of a bird hid reptilian fingers. Today, few scientists challenge not only the link between birds and reptiles in general, but between birds and theropods, a group of bipedal saurischian dinosaurs. Hundreds of structural similarities exist, including elongated arms, large eye openings, swiveling wrists, three forward-facing toes, and hollow bones.

The most diverse theropod group is the coelurosaurs, a carnivorous bipedal group that includes the Tyrannosaurus rex and the Velociraptor, the latter of which is quite similar to the oldest known bird, the Archaeopteryx. Coelurosauria, in fact, is the clade that contains all theropods more closely related to birds than to carnosaurs, and all coelurosaurs have been thought to possess feathers.

However, a recent find of what seems to be an entirely new—and apparently featherless—coelurosaur has complicated the subject. Several suggestions have been made as to why this particular chicken-sized dinosaur from the Late Jurassic period lacked feathers.

One possibility is that, in some creatures, feathers were replaced by scales because the feathers were not needed for warmth, recognition of family members, or mating rituals—uses that feathers were thought to have had for dinosaurs that did not fly. It is also possible that some coelurosaurs had feathers in only certain geographic areas. Another idea is that this particular coelurosaur was so young that it had not yet grown feathers.

A more fundamentally profound alternative is that, contrary to conventional scientific thought, birds and feathered dinosaurs developed feathers independently of each other rather than from a common ancestor. This would certainly not be the first case of what is known as convergent evolution. Fish and certain mammals can swim,but have evolved this attribute separately. Likewise, insects have wings, but developed them independently from birds. Luckily, the new fossil of what has been named a Juravenator is well-preserved almost in its entirety. More insights into why it did not have feathers will likely lead to new insights into how other animals did develop this trait.
1. In the passage, the author is primarily interested in:

(A) presenting possible solutions to a problem that has troubled scientists for years
(B) providing background information and possible explanations for a curious discovery
(C) answering critics of a controversial theory that is supported by a new finding
(D) showing how an established idea can become too entrenched in conventional scientific thought
(E) presenting historical background to a current phenomenon

2. According to the passage, the Archaeopteryx _______________________ .

(A) had feathers but did not fly
(B) is the oldest known coelurosaur
(C) was approximately the size of a chicken
(D) shares some similarities with carnivorous dinosaurs
(E) and the Juravenator developed feathers from a common ancestor

(A) were not used for flight
(B) were not always present at birth
(C) were first noted by Huxley
(D) might have evolved from scales
(E) were a characteristic of all coelurosaurs

4. Which of the following can be inferred from the passage?

(A) All adult coelurosaurs possessed feathers.
(B) Coelurosaurs who did not need feathers for warmth or mating rituals shed those feathers for scales.
(C) Scientists have reached a consensus that certain birds and dinosaurs are evolutionarily linked.
(D) Thomas Henry Huxley believed in the idea of convergent evolution.
(E) Coeulurosaurs that did not have feathers instead had scales.

workout , gmatexam439

OA for the questions 3 and 4 seem wrong. Here's my reasoning:

OA for Q3: (D) might have evolved from scales

The passage states that "feathers were replaced by scales because the feathers were not needed for warmth". One may infer that scales evolved from feathers not the other way round. Option C seems best of the lot

OA for Q4:

(C) Scientists have reached a consensus that certain birds and dinosaurs are evolutionarily linked.

In the first para we have " Today, few scientists challenge not only the link between birds and reptiles in general" which clearly means that there is no consensus. Option B seems better

Please correct me if i am wrong

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
(C) were first noted by Huxley NO! the passage never says that it was FIRST noted by Huxley
(D) might have evolved from scales Perhaps: scope is her - "One possibility is that, in some creatures, feathers were replaced by scales because the feathers were not needed for warmth, recognition of family members, or mating rituals—uses that feathers were thought to have had for dinosaurs that did not fly."
(E) were a characteristic of all coelurosaurs ALL coelurosaurs? we don't know for sure

Kindly explain my doubt - I get D is correct , however I am not able to reject B -
As per the passage: "Another idea is that this particular coelurosaur was so young that it had not yet grown feathers." . This clearly implies that there were a few coelurosaur without feathers in very young age. If in a very young age " a few coelurosaurs" were not having feature , we can clearly infer that those coelurosaurs were not having features @ birth as well (unless and until we are assuming that feather appeared @ birth and then vanished. I believe , this will too much of an assumption).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
(D) might have evolved from scales Perhaps: scope is her - "One possibility is that, in some creatures, feathers were replaced by scales because the feathers were not needed for warmth, recognition of family members, or mating rituals—uses that feathers were thought to have had for dinosaurs that did not fly."
(E) were a characteristic of all coelurosaurs ALL coelurosaurs? we don't know for sure

But it says that feathers were replaced by scales. This means that the feathers came first and the scales second. The evolution in answer D is quite opposite i suppose.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:

No way ! The scope you mentioned is exactly in opposite direction. That 'de-evolution' if you think there is a scope in the passage that related to the given sentence for D.
As for B, 'no always present' is true. Actually, that is exactly what the last paragraph says one possibility was that the fossil was of a new born/youngster that the wings hadn't even developed.

I understand that I am just starting out with GMAT but even if GMAT officials came and told me D was correct, I would not buy that for a sec.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Is there a better explanation for D or do we need to contact the source and get the answer fixed !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
navderm wrote:
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:

No way ! The scope you mentioned is exactly in opposite direction. That 'de-evolution' if you think there is a scope in the passage that related to the given sentence for D.
As for B, 'no always present' is true. Actually, that is exactly what the last paragraph says one possibility was that the fossil was of a new born/youngster that the wings hadn't even developed.

I understand that I am just starting out with GMAT but even if GMAT officials came and told me D was correct, I would not buy that for a sec.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Is there a better explanation for D or do we need to contact the source and get the answer fixed !

navderm, It isn't an official source. So, No need to be adamant on it. I would rather let it go.
Infact, I was going through one of the veritas(creators of this question) docs and found the answer of the said question listed as B.
No doubt, there is an ambiguity around the question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: ISB '21
GMAT 1: 600 Q40 V34
Send PM
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:

I disagree. The passage clearly mentions "feathers were replaced BY scales" which is the same as saying "Scales had evolved FROM feathers". This is exactly the opposite compared to what option D mentions "feathers might have evolved FROM scales".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Send PM
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:

Hi......but the last line in the second para says it clealry:

and all coelurosaurs have been thought to possess feathers.

so that makes E correct...no?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: ISB '21
GMAT 1: 600 Q40 V34
Send PM
Mansoor50 wrote:
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:

Hi......but the last line in the second para says it clealry:

and all coelurosaurs have been thought to possess feathers.

so that makes E correct...no?

"have been THOUGHT to possess feathers". This is different from quoting "Were a characteristic of ALL coelurosaurs". The former is a musing, the latter is a hard hitting fact. I believe the option is too extreme to qualify as an answer, hence it can't be E.

The only answer somewhat close is D. But I don't think it is airtight as well, since in all probability (what I gathered from the passage) is that scales evolved from feathers, & not the other way round (as option D states).

IMO, I'd still go for D, but curious to know if there's any logic I'm missing.

Can any Verbal expert help here?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 89
GRE 1: Q165 V164
Send PM
Additional Question:

5. According to the passage, convergent evolution __________.

A. had not been thought to apply to a common trait found in birds and other animals prior to the discovery of the Juravenator fossil
B. has not been shown to apply to humans
C. was not always thought to apply to birds and coelurosaurs
D. was first noticed by Thomas Henry Huxley
E. explains why some dinosaurs developed feathers for warmth

OE:
The presence of the phrase “according to the passage” should tell you that you’ll want to go back to the passage to find the discussion of convergent evolution. That term is mentioned in the fourth paragraph, in the sentence “this would certainly not be the first case of what is known as convergent evolution.” When you look at the sentence above (for a referent for the pronoun “this”) you should see the caveat “contrary to conventional scientific thought.” This supports answer choice C: the purpose of this paragraph is to give a possible explanation for why birds and coelurosaurs both have feathers, and you’re told in this sentence that this explanation (convergent evolution) goes against conventional wisdom. Thus you can prove that this theory was “not always thought to apply to birds and coelurosaurs.”

OA: C

Difficulty Level: 650-700
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts