GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 06:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Though being tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Re: Though being tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 04:40
sayantanc2k wrote:
Though being tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered species of catfish lessens their vulnerability with thickened bones and armor plates on their sides.

A. Though being tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered species of catfish lessens their vulnerability with thickened bones and armor plates on their sides.
B. Though tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered species of catfish has thickened bones and armor plates on its sides that lessen its vulnerability.
C. A recently discovered species of catfish has thickened bones and armor plates on its sides that lessen their vulnerability, though tiny, blind, and translucent.
D. Thickened bones and armor plates on their sides lessen the vulnerability of a recently discovered species of catfish that is tiny, blind, and translucent.
E. Tiny, blind, and translucent, thickened bones and armor plates on its sides lessen the vulnerability of a recently discovered species of catfish.

look at choice C
"though tiny blind, and stranlucent" should better be placed near the subject "species" even this phrase's position in choice C can be grammatical
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: ISB '20, IIMA , IIMC
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V30
GPA: 3.35
Re: Though being tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 23:14
hi egmat

THOUGH/ALTHOUGH/EVEN THOUGH+CLAUSE:CORRECT
DESPITE/IN SPITE OF+NOUN:CORRECT
here neither options has though+clause structure.
can you please shed some light on this issue
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2018, 00:37
Why are we using HAS?
A recently discovered species= Plural
Please help.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 20:13
A Though being tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered species of catfish lessens their vulnerability with thickened bones and armor plates on their sides.

B Though tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered species of catfish has thickened bones and armor plates on its sides that lessen its vulnerability.

C A recently discovered species of catfish has thickened bones and armor plates on its sides that lessen their vulnerability, though tiny, blind, and translucent.

D Thickened bones and armor plates on their sides lessen the vulnerability of a recently discovered species of catfish that is tiny, blind, and translucent.

E Tiny, blind, and translucent, thickened bones and armor plates on its sides lessen the vulnerability of a recently discovered species of catfish.

It is easy to make splits per the usage of pronouns, leading to the choice between B and E.

I was wrong in B as I thought lessen modifies the sides, creating a wrong logic since sides can not lessen its vulnerability... I did not further investigate and eliminate this choice right away.

When I was examing choice E, I think it has a subject that is too long, making the beginning part too heavy, but it is still better than B...
I chose E. I did not think further its meaning---it illogically interchanges the modifier and the subject...

Key takeaways for any questions exam the usage of modifier
1. Remember the rule of "Noun Modifiers can Modify slightly far away noun" from E-GMAT.
2. Always double check the closer noun and slightly far-away noun, and compare meanings (the step i missed when I solved the question)
3. Always double check the meaning. Not only the question(Choice A) itself but also all choices after the split.
Director
Director
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2018, 07:34
+1 for option B. This questions tests you on SVA , modifiers , and pronouns.

" The few , the fearless "

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 21:09
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma sayantanc2k egmat

Though tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered species of catfish has thickened bones and armor plates on its sides that lessen its vulnerability.

I would respectfully disagree with analysis of Abhishek009 regarding correct subject:

Though tiny, blind, and translucent, modifier
a recently discovered species of catfish has thickened bones and armor plates on its sides that lessen its vulnerability.

Species or catfish can not be subject of the clause since later is a noun in a prepositional phrase
and former is preceded by article - a which makes the overall subject a whole noun phrase a subject
of main clause.

Quote:
Though being tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered species of catfish lessens their vulnerability with thickened bones and armor plates on their sides.

The main issue with (A) is not subject verb agreement or a pronoun - their -can correctly refer to plural catfish but it implies incorrect meaning w.r.t (B)

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

DS Forum Moderator
D
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2018, 00:45
"The noun species, referring especially to a group of organisms sharing common characteristics, can be either singular (e.g., that species is purple) or plural (e.g., these species are yellow)

But in the statement 1 it is singular, "a recently discovered species of catfish"

Species is the subject.

Please correct me, if I am wrong.

adkikani wrote:

Though tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered species of catfish has thickened bones and armor plates on its sides that lessen its vulnerability.

I would respectfully disagree with analysis of Abhishek009 regarding correct subject:

Though tiny, blind, and translucent, modifier
a recently discovered species of catfish has thickened bones and armor plates on its sides that lessen its vulnerability.

Species or catfish can not be subject of the clause since later is a noun in a prepositional phrase
and former is preceded by article - a which makes the overall subject a whole noun phrase a subject
of main clause.

Quote:

The main issue with (A) is not subject verb agreement or a pronoun - their -can correctly refer to plural catfish but it implies incorrect meaning w.r.t (B)

Win GMAT CLUB Tests - Weekly Quant Quiz Contest
SC: Confusable words

All you need for Quant, GMAT PS Question Directory,GMAT DS Question Directory
Error log/Key Concepts
Combination Concept: Division into groups
Question of the Day (QOTD)
Free GMAT CATS

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Though being tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered &nbs [#permalink] 12 May 2018, 00:45

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

Though being tiny, blind, and translucent, a recently discovered

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap