It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 18:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Though he had had success broadcasting his controversial

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 37

Re: though he had had [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2011, 20:13

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 37

e-GMAT Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 113

Re: though he had had [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2012, 15:02
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Though he had had success broadcasting his controversial radio program on highly regulated terrestrial airwaves, Howard Stern opted out of terrestrial broadcasting in favor of the less regulated satellite radio medium.

A)Though he had had- CORRECT
B)Though he has had - HAS HAD IS WRONG
C)Even though he had- EVEN = THOUGH (REDUNDANT)
D)Having had- CHANGES THE MEANING
E)Having achieved - CHANGES THE MEANING

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 113

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 353 [0], given: 75

GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Re: Weird MGMAT Question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2012, 06:37
success broadcasting his controversial radio VS terrestrial broadcasting in favor of the less regulated satellite radio medium
the contrast here is suitable for "even though"
Experts guidance needed.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Kudos [?]: 353 [0], given: 75

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 90 [1], given: 27

GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2012, 06:43
This post received
KUDOS
Why do you think it's weird? I thought it was quite straightforward.

The options narrow down to A and B. B has a tense error because the second part of the statement has no present tense. It has a past-tense "opted out..."

petrifiedbutstanding

Kudos [?]: 90 [1], given: 27

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [1], given: 8

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 09-30-2012
GPA: 3.08
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2012, 09:55
This post received
KUDOS
Should it not be E ?
Had had means something which happened in the past before another event which also happened in the past and then ended.
where are when we use thee progressive tense it means that event or its after effects are still continuing, and success once achieved stays with you.
so shouldn't it be having achieved ?

Kudos [?]: 52 [1], given: 8

3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7917 [3], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2012, 10:06
This post received
KUDOS
Though there is nothing weird about it, this topic has a subtle pitfall in terms of meaning. A says that Howard had had success for some time in terrestrial one (and that the success stopped for a while) and then he chose to pursue the satellite thing. Otherwise, there is no need for past perfect tense.

However, this not the intension of the text. The actual meaning is that even as he was having success (an on -going affair) he chose to switch from terrestrial to satellite. Both were happening at the same time. Therefore, there is no need for a past perfect. A simple past tense, namely, ‘had’ is sufficient. I beg to differ from the official version A in favor of C

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7917 [3], given: 364

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 20

GMAT Date: 07-14-2012

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2012, 22:04
petrifiedbutstanding wrote:

The options narrow down to A and B. B has a tense error because the second part of the statement has no present tense. It has a past-tense "opted out..."

I was confused between A & E. This is what Manhattan has to say about (E)

"Having achieved" is an accepted alternative past perfect construction and thus is grammatically correct. However, the use of “having achieved” implies that Howard Stern “opted out of terrestrial broadcasting” as a result of “having achieved” success with terrestrial broadcasts. The logical meaning of the sentence is that he “opted out” despite his previous success, not because of it.

I think its weird because the original intent (or logical meaning) of the question is not quite clear. I saw it as a before and after sequence.
Before: Having achieved...
After: ...opted out of...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 27

GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2012, 01:33
varun2203 wrote:

"Having achieved" is an accepted alternative past perfect construction and thus is grammatically correct. However, the use of “having achieved” implies that Howard Stern “opted out of terrestrial broadcasting” as a result of “having achieved” success with terrestrial broadcasts. The logical meaning of the sentence is that he “opted out” despite his previous success, not because of it.

I think its weird because the original intent (or logical meaning) of the question is not quite clear. I saw it as a before and after sequence.

I thought it was a good point you brought up, so I checked up with a GMAT Verbal instructor and here is what she had to say:

The GMAT will never have a sentence that goes against the regular laws of nature without specifying it. When applied to this scenario, why would Howard Stern want to quit a profession that made him big? If he did wanna quit after getting big, then there needs to be something that tells the reader that.

For example, it's obvious that a successful war journalist continues covering more such risky and sometimes gory incidents rather than winning one award and quitting. An ace fighter-pilot, knowing the risks that come with the job, would love to continue doing the same thing..

Does this help?

petrifiedbutstanding

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 27

Intern
Intern

GMAT Date: 07-14-2012

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2012, 02:11
varun2203 wrote:

I thought it was a good point you brought up, so I checked up with a GMAT Verbal instructor and here is what she had to say:

The GMAT will never have a sentence that goes against the regular laws of nature without specifying it. When applied to this scenario, why would Howard Stern want to quit a profession that made him big? If he did wanna quit after getting big, then there needs to be something that tells the reader that.

For example, it's obvious that a successful war journalist continues covering more such risky and sometimes gory incidents rather than winning one award and quitting. An ace fighter-pilot, knowing the risks that come with the job, would love to continue doing the same thing..

Does this help?

Yes! You make quite an interesting point. Thanks a lot. :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2012, 05:25
It seems to me that a number of these answers are grammatically acceptable. However, it is also important to focus on the meaning.

A. is grammatical usage of the past perfect. It is also a logical description of Howard Stern's actions. i.e. he “opted out” despite his previous success.
B. is incorrect usage of the present perfect (it doesn't agree with "opted").
C. is grammatical usage of the simple past. It is not logical because the "Even though" statement doesn't make sense if the success didn't precede the opting out, and using two simple pasts implies that the events happened concurrently.
D. is grammatical usage of a perfect participle. It is not logical because it implies that Howard Stern moved away from terrestrial broadcasting as a result of his success.
E. is essentially the same as D.

It might be easier to understand with simpler sentences using the same tenses and constructions:
(A) Though he had eaten two large pizzas, Howard ordered a hamburger.
(B) Though he has eaten two large pizzas, Howard ordered a hamburger.
(C) Even though he ate two large pizzas, Howard ordered a hamburger.
(D) Having eaten two large pizzas, Howard ordered a hamburger. (Using this construction you might more naturally expect the second half of the sentence to be "Howard threw up.")
(E) Having consumed two large pizzas, Howard ordered a hamburger. (As above).

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 27

Re: Though he had had success broadcasting his controversial [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2012, 15:32
This is how I understand "had" vs "had had". Correct me if I am wrong.

1) 'had'

Though he had success broadcasting his controversial radio program on highly regulated terrestrial airwaves, Howard Stern opted out of terrestrial broadcasting in favor of the less regulated satellite radio medium.

Timeline:
<------this part of the time when he stopped having success in the past----------->||<-----------opted out---------->||<--present->

2) 'had had'

Though he had had success broadcasting his controversial radio program on highly regulated terrestrial airwaves, Howard Stern opted out of terrestrial broadcasting in favor of the less regulated satellite radio medium.

Timeline:
<---success broadcasting-->||<---this part of the time when he stopped having success in the past--->||<---opted out-->||<--present-->

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 27

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 401

Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2013, 04:22
bipolarbear wrote:

(A) Though he had had
(B) Though he has had
(C) Even though he had
(D) Having had
(E) Having achieved

Nice question.

I answered using the following method:

Howard Stern opted is past. Therefore in the first part of the sentence you need to have "Had + Verb".

The only answer here is A that provides a strange (for non-native speakers) but correct "had had"

Easy when you get used to it, but need lot of work to master those kind of GMAT english requirements!

Hope it helps

Think outside the box

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 401

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 17:33
Request you not to write your queries/answers/opinions in question window. It prevents ppl from analysing the question. The whole purpose of GMAT Club forum goes wasted by doing so.

You have response windows to do all such things.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 48

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2016, 01:38
bipolarbear wrote:

(A) Though he had had
(B) Though he has had
(C) Even though he had
(D) Having had
(E) Having achieved

he alread "opted out" of terestrial airwaves, this mean "had succes" happen before opted out.

this mean we need to show a sequence, only a and d do this

we need a contrast, so A is better

but honestly , I think D is also correct.
the beauty of this question is the establisment of sequence in a suble way.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 916

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 1183 [0], given: 415

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Though he had had success broadcasting his controversial [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2017, 17:53
bipolarbear wrote:

(A) Though he had had
(B) Though he has had
(C) Even though he had
(D) Having had
(E) Having achieved

From Ron (Manhattan)

One use of "had" is the PAST TENSE of the infinitive "TO HAVE". (let's call this "had1")
This is like other past tenses, such as "was", "chose", "ran", "threw".

Another is the PAST PARTICIPLE of the infinitive "TO HAVE". (let's call this "had2")
This is like other past participles, such as "been", "chosen", "run", "thrown".

The other is as a HELPING VERB that appears in the PAST PERFECT. (let's call this "had3")

Here's how "to have" is conjugated:

Present: He has the flu.
Past: He had the flu. (this is had1)
Past Perfect: He had had the flu. (this is had3 had2)

Analogy: Some other random verb, such as "to choose"

Present: He chooses the steak entree.
Past: He chose the steak entree.
Past Perfect: He had chosen the steak entree. (this is had3)

The difficulty here lies in not confusing the different "had"s.

The second clause says that he "OPTED OUT". This mean that he QUIT terrestrial broadcasting.

Given that he had previously enjoyed success, this is indeed a contrast.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1183 [0], given: 415

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 865

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 07:29
must show a contrast relation between 2 clause => D and E are out
B uses wrong tense
A is correct because it fits the structure of "though..., S+V"

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 865

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2017, 05:53
OE :

The original sentence correctly uses the past perfect form “had had” to establish a chronology of two
past events; it is clear that Howard Stern “had had success” (past perfect) prior to the moment in the
past when he “opted out” (simple past) of terrestrial broadcasting.

(A) CORRECT. This choice is correct as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) The present perfect form “has had” incorrectly implies that Howard Stern continues to have
success broadcasting on terrestrial airwaves, even after opting out of terrestrial broadcasting. The
present perfect form is used for events that began in the past and continue into the present; the past
perfect "had had" must be used to indicate the earliest of multiple past events.

(C) The use of the simple past “he had” fails to establish a time-ordering of the two past events; the
past perfect form of the verb is needed to indicate that Howard Stern “had had success” (past perfect)
prior to the moment in the past when he “opted out” (simple past) of terrestrial broadcasting. Also,
“even though” is unnecessarily wordy. The more concise “though” is preferred.

(D) "Having had" is an accepted alternative past perfect construction and thus is grammatically
correct. However, the use of “having had” implies that Howard Stern “opted out of terrestrial
broadcasting” as a result of “having had” success with terrestrial broadcasts. The logical meaning of
the sentence is that he “opted out” despite his previous success, not because of it.
GOOD meaning change twist.

(E) "Having achieved" is an accepted alternative past perfect construction and thus is grammatically
correct. However, the use of “having achieved” implies that Howard Stern “opted out of terrestrial
broadcasting” as a result of “having achieved” success with terrestrial broadcasts. The logical meaning
of the sentence is that he “opted out” despite his previous success, not because of it.
GOOD meaning change twist.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 855

Re: Though he had had success broadcasting his controversial   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2017, 05:53

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 37 posts ] 

Though he had had success broadcasting his controversial

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap