Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618876 [74]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [9]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618876 [5]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [4]
Given Kudos: 58
Schools: ISB '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GMAT 2: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: Though Homo habilis made blunt cutting tools, Neanderthals fashioned [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
Though Homo habilis made blunt cutting tools, Neanderthals fashioned finer implements, tapering from the butt to the point and flaked on two sides, to form the familiar teardrop now paradigmatic of early man.

A. point and flaked on two sides, to form

B. point, flaked on two sides, and formed

C. point, flaking on two sides, that form

D. point, flaking on two sides, forming

E. point and flaked on two sides, form

Tapering is modifying how the Neanderthals fashioned finer implements (verb-ing modifier) so it is correct with a comma pair so option A, E eliminated. To form parallel pairs of fashioned and --- after comma pair there should be a verb-ed form, so option B should be correct and C, D eliminated.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [2]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Re: Though Homo habilis made blunt cutting tools, Neanderthals fashioned [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
flaked is parallel to fashioned so I think A.This is a toughie..
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [2]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rahul16singh28 wrote:
Can we use comma before infinitive "to" in general. I ruled out A because of this and selected B.

Hey rahul16singh28 ,

It depends on the structure of the sentence. If you are using the information before the "To" infinitive as a modifier such that we do have another comma before the start of the modifier, then it is perfectly fine to use a comma.

For example:

I am drinking water, to get hydrated.

Here, the usage is wrong. You cannot have a comma before "To"

I am drinking water, bought from the market, to get hydrated.

Here the usage is correct because here the comma used is a part of the modifier. If the modifier is removed, the sentence will become I am drinking water to get hydrated.

Does that make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
Send PM
Kudos
I think the question is correct as is. A should be the answer.
Tapering... and flaked... both talk about the implements. To form gives a consequence of the before phrases.

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
SajjitaKundu wrote:
I think the question is correct as is. A should be the answer.
Tapering... and flaked... both talk about the implements. To form gives a consequence of the before phrases.

Posted from my mobile device

I second you, nothing wrong with the original sentence, answer must be (A)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
According to veritas, tapering and flaked are participial phrases linked with “and” giving descriptions of the implements.

However, the verb-ing modifier after a comma modifies preceding clause and associates with subject; it either presents extra information or the result of the clause.

The modifier must be clear and unambiguous what it is modifying and in answer A fails to do that.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Ksmew wrote:
can you tell me how "Fashioned" and "Flaked" are parallel??(

Hi Ksmew, there is some misunderstanding here. "Fashioned" and "Flaked" are not parallel in this sentence: "Fashioned" is used as a Simple Past Tense verb, while "Flaked" is used as a past participle. A Verb cannot be parallel to a participle.

On the other hand, in the original sentence is correct because "tapering" (a present participle) is parallel to "flaked" (a past participle), both of them modifying "implements".

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses "Simple Past Tense Verb" vs "Past Participle", its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gloomybison

In this context, "tapering" and "tapered" are quite similar. Someone tapered the implements, but the implements themselves also taper from one end to the other. They are tapering. Some words work this way, but most do not. If someone flaked the implement, that means they chipped off flakes of stone to form the current object. But "flaking" implies that flakes are currently coming off, like on a flaky croissant. That is a very different meaning. The tools have been flaked, but they are not flaking. I sanded a table, but it is not sanding. I alphabetized a list, but it is not alphabetizing.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gloomybison wrote:
Would Choice A be still correct if we said" Neanderthals fashioned finer implements, tapered from the butt to the point and flaking on two sides, to form the familiar teardrop now paradigmatic of early man."

if we change the type of participles would the meaning be altered?

Hello gloomybison,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

Replacing "tapering" with "tapered" would produce a grammatically correct and logical sentence, but it would slightly change the meaning. The use of the present participle "tapering" conveys that the implements are tapering from the butt to the point in a continuous action; the use of the past participle "tapered" would convey that the implements were tapered by someone in the past - meaning someone made them such that they narrow from the butt to the point. However, the use of the present participle "flaking" would not produce a logical sentence, as it would imply that the implements are currently and continuously "flaking", meaning bits of them are coming off in flakes.

We hope this finds you well.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
What is correct answer? Confused between A & C.... If A then why 'ing' is not required?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
Send PM
Though Homo habilis made blunt cutting tools, Neanderthals fashioned finer implements, tapering from the butt to the point and flaked on two sides, to form the familiar teardrop now paradigmatic of early man.

A. point and flaked on two sides, to form - whatever behind and after the "and" should be parallel (tapering vs flaked) --> eliminated

C. point, flaking on two sides, that form - the comma makes "tapering from the butt to the point" a clause that describes the implements. If so, "flaking" is not parallel with "fashioned" --> eliminated

D. point, flaking on two sides, forming --> same as above, "forming" and "fashioned" as well as the change of meaning --> eliminated

E. point and flaked on two sides, form - "flaked" is not parallel with "tapering" before the "and" (like Choice A) --> eliminated

So that leaves us with B.

Please correct my reasoning if it's wrong or not accurate enough.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
Send PM
I think the answer should be A. Only this option conveys the intended meaning correctly. The other options distort the meaning
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
abhimahna , I got it. Thanks for explaining.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 443 [0]
Given Kudos: 752
GPA: 3.95
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
sagar43 wrote:
What is correct answer? Confused between A & C.... If A then why 'ing' is not required?

Hey sagar43 ,

C cannot be the correct answer because it is changing the original meaning of the sentence.

As per the original meaning of the sentence, the purpose of "fashioned finer implements" is TO FORM something. So, TO + Verb is Required here.

But C is changing the meaning and saying that fashioned something that can form XYZ. Here, the intention of fashioning has been changed.

Again , to answer your question why "ing" isn't used in option A.

You need to understand "Fashioned" and "Flaked" as || and conveys two activities that "Neanderthals " are doing. But the moment we will change it to "flaking", the meaning of the sentence will be something like "The result of fashioning something" was Flaking on two sides. This is an illogical meaning. Hence, it is incorrect.

Rule: Meaning is the Key to Solve this Question! :-)

Does that make sense?

Hi abhimahna,

Can we use comma before infinitive "to" in general. I ruled out A because of this and selected B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Though Homo habilis made blunt cutting tools, Neanderthals fashioned [#permalink]
egmat
Can you guys please explain how "flaked" is a participle, as from my view Neanderthals "fashioned" finer implements, "tapering" from the butt and "flaked" on two sides. Here tapering is a ING modifier as it is modifying the action 'fashioned' which has the subject Neanderthals but flaked seemed to me as a 'verb' as this is what Neanderthals are doing(the action is performed by them).Or is it that here fashioned and flaked are parallel? But Neanderthals flaked on two sides doesn't make sense to me
:dazed
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Hey rraman -- Great question! This is one of those "ugh why does English occasionally treat words that are spelled the same way as different parts of speech?" questions.

What is easy to get confused on here is that "tapering" could be either a participle or a verb. The way we know that it isn't a verb is that "tapering" is transitive -- it needs a direct object. And since there isn't an obvious direct object after the word tapering, it's going to have to be a participle. Instead of being an action that Neanderthals do, it's a way of describing the implements the Neanderthals built - they're tapered! Based on that, to keep parallelism, "flaked" needs to be a participle as well.

If the sentence had included "tapering the implements and flaking them," or "Neanderthals "fashioned, tapered, and flaked the implements" then the words "tapered/tapering" and "flaked/flaking" would had direct objects so you could use them as verbs. But as it is they're being used to modify the word "implements" and must be participles. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.34
Send PM
Ignore the first part.

Neanderthals fashioned finer implements, tapering from the butt to the point and flaked on two sides, to form the familiar teardrop now paradigmatic of early man.

A. point and flaked on two sides, to form

C. point, flaking on two sides, that form

D. point, flaking on two sides, forming

E. point and flaked on two sides, form

the middle part is a modifier, tapering from...., describing the "finer implements"
What is the quality of the implements? "tapering from the butt to the point and flaked on two sides"
One is "ing modifier" and the other one is "ed modifier" so (A) is correct.

(B) is incorrect because flaked is not a verb, it is a ed modifier here
(C) is incorrect because there is no "and", no parallelism
(D) even if you think flaking is correct, 3 "ing" without and "and" also fails at parallelism
(E) verb ... verb incorrect. Neanderthals fashioned ... form. You cannot have two verbs like this without a conjunction
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts