It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 02:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Though I am an amateur athlete—a longdistance runner—I have no love of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
V

Kudos [?]: 1045 [0], given: 538

GPA: 3.4
Premium Member CAT Tests
Though I am an amateur athlete—a longdistance runner—I have no love of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 02:34
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

88% (01:00) correct 12% (00:54) wrong based on 137 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Though I am an amateur athlete—a longdistance runner—I have no love of the Olympic Games. The original purpose was noble, but the games have become a vehicle for politics and money. For example, when the media mention the 1980 winter games at Lake Placid, they invariably show footage of a hockey game. The real story of the 1980 games—Eric Heiden’s winning five gold medals in speed skating—is all but forgotten. The speaker above implies that

(A) Eric Heiden was a better hockey player than speed skater
(B) most people would prefer to watch speed skating over hockey
(C) hockey produces money while speed skating does not
(D) only professional athletes compete in the Olympic Games
(E) amateur athletes are more exciting to watch than professional athletes

Master GMAT
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1045 [0], given: 538

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 245

GPA: 3.64
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Though I am an amateur athlete—a longdistance runner—I have no love of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 11:10
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Though I am an amateur athlete—a longdistance runner—I have no love of the Olympic Games. The original purpose was noble, but the games have become a vehicle for politics and money. For example, when the media mention the 1980 winter games at Lake Placid, they invariably show footage of a hockey game. The real story of the 1980 games—Eric Heiden’s winning five gold medals in speed skating—is all but forgotten. The speaker above implies that

(A) Eric Heiden was a better hockey player than speed skater
(B) most people would prefer to watch speed skating over hockey
(C) hockey produces money while speed skating does not
(D) only professional athletes compete in the Olympic Games
(E) amateur athletes are more exciting to watch than professional athletes

Master GMAT

It is an inference question
(A) Eric Heiden was a better hockey player than speed skater - cannot be infered
(B) most people would prefer to watch speed skating over hockey - cannot be infered
(C) hockey produces money while speed skating does not - can be infered as argument mentions that 'games have become a vehicle for politics and money'
(D) only professional athletes compete in the Olympic Games - cannot be infered
(E) amateur athletes are more exciting to watch than professional athletes - cannot be infered

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 245

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Though I am an amateur athlete—a longdistance runner—I have no love of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2017, 09:52
Premise :Though I am an amateur athlete—a longdistance runner—I have no love of the Olympic Games. The original purpose was noble,

Conclusion : "but the games have become a vehicle for politics and money."

Premise : For example, when the media mention the 1980 winter games at Lake Placid, they invariably show footage of a hockey game. The real story of the 1980 games—Eric Heiden’s winning five gold medals in speed skating—is all but forgotten. The speaker above implies that

Prephrasing : The athlete assumes that since games has become a vehicle of politics and money, whatever the media focus on MUST be because money is involved in it. So if hockey game is shown instead of skating, then the assumption is hockey brings in more money.

(A) Eric Heiden was a better hockey player than speed skater [ Out of Scope - nothing is mentioned about this]

(B) most people would prefer to watch speed skating over hockey [here we are talking about politics and money not people preferences and even if we do, then as per the Preprashing they should be interested in watching hockey over sakting ]

(C) hockey produces money while speed skating does not [ Bingo! This has to be the assumption]

(D) only professional athletes compete in the Olympic Games [ Out of Scope - nothing mentioned about this]

(E) amateur athletes are more exciting to watch than professional athletes [ Out of Scope - nothing mentioned about this]

Correct Answer - C

Work Hard! Have Fun! Create History! :)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 25

Re: Though I am an amateur athlete—a longdistance runner—I have no love of   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2017, 09:52

Though I am an amateur athlete—a longdistance runner—I have no love of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap